Goodbye Jesus

Does Anyone Else Find Internet Atheists...annoying?

sethosayher

Nice, glad I earned the Grinch label. Speaking of which, damn I miss the Grinch.

I thought he tried rehabbing his Grinchy image and became Checkerboard (or something)? But maybe Asimov fits the image we're looking for here? He might like you if you did anal though. :lmao:

We're pussies compared to how this place used to be.

mwc

• 1 month later...

Where are the annoying internet atheists? Well, I found some really arrogant young fellows on Richard Dawkins's old forums. On there, if you didn't subscribe to the hard sciences, your views didn't really count. I think the focus of exChristian automatically gears for a higher level of intellect, and deeper level of thought and compassion, than Dawkins's old forums did. His forums were for fans. ExC is for people who have been through the wringer of life and thought through the really difficult questions of life and existence regarding time and eternity--we've looked on the face of God, if you will, or asked the hard questions--and survived.

As Deva says, the majority of us end up as atheists and agnostics, lacking belief or trust in any religion, but we are aware that not all exChristians come to that conclusion. We're even expected to retain some level of civility with our arch-enemy the Christians, especially if they are decent. And religious exChristians are supposed to be on an equal footing as atheists for the simple reason that all of us are exChristians. I think that surely makes a bit of a difference in the overall attitude of the forums.

I can see that forums existing to glorify atheism, especially those consisting mainly of young people, would be less compassionate to the rest of humanity. I'm not sure that all of these young people have truly thought through all the issues. I've seen too many testimonies of Christians who say they used to be atheists. And when all is said and done, I conclude their atheism consisted of a rebellion against religious parents and was an emotional thing not well-thought-through.

I would guess that during the time that such people are on atheist websites they would be annoying. Or others who were raised outside of religion, and have only heard stereotypical cliches about religion, and get their kicks from spouting arrogance at anyone who disagrees with whatever they believe at the moment. What comes to mind is males aged about fifteen to nineteen with nothing better to do. I don't meet too many of those shallow-minded creatures here on exC.

BTW, some time ago, Richard Dawkins did a complete overhaul of his forums to get rid of them, too.

My SIL is an atheist and she's dumber than cat dicks.

There's a part of me that wants to ask who would think a cat dick has an IQ, but that would be wrong and so I won't say it. tongue.png

I won't say that belief in a god is not a sign of an intellectual, because there have been and still are intellectuals who are Christian. Also, I don't think that observation gives a lot of credit to those who are ex-Christians at this forum. That we've renounced our faith in Christianity is a matter of growing out of a mythological dogmatic affiliation for our personal reasons, and that in itself is the sign of intellect that was always there else we wouldn't have wised up. wink.png

I think it's obvious that one has to set aside the intellect in order to accept any religious ideology as credible, hopefully true, absolutely true, or at least something that is worthy of following as a guideline for one's personal and moral compass. Intellect is innate, while religious faith is assumed.

All that being said, I have found some atheist forums to be annoying. There's one forum that I was at recently that boasts a large membership however, the active member group is largely comprised of a clique' of atheists who back each other up, and test any newbies that join. One member hardly ever posts in font but rather prefers to speak in image's she uploads.

Atheists are like everyone else. A mixture of the assholes and the cool. Of course we're all part of the later community, be we atheists or otherwise. Right?! wink.pngukliam2.giftongue.png

*edit missing words* I'm in a smiley whore mode, can you tell? LOL

I've come across them as well. At least enough to have developed an allergy to them. But what others said is right too, namely that this phenomena is not exclusive to atheists, and has more to do with the adoption of a dogmatic approach then the contents being expressed by it. Only religiously defined group I haven't seen it in is Buddhists, and I suspect that means I just haven't tried hard enough.

I've come across them as well. At least enough to have developed an allergy to them. But what others said is right too, namely that this phenomena is not exclusive to atheists, and has more to do with the adoption of a dogmatic approach then the contents being expressed by it. Only religiously defined group I haven't seen it in is Buddhists, and I suspect that means I just haven't tried hard enough.

Re Buddhists. When I took a course on Buddhism I was shocked to find that in their history in the Far East, they had just as much warfare with each other over religious differences as the Mennonites have. At that time, I had not yet learned so much about the other Christians but it seems the Buddhists are no different from other humans.

I had meant on the internet, but yeah, it doesn't take much effort to find historical incidents like you mentioned. I think it is a little different though, in that what you site is more an example of what people in power are willing to do to preserve their privileged position. I think the OP was commenting more on dogmatism, which can be exhibited in any number of circumstances.

The dumbest atheist on this planet IS superior morally and intellectually to Christians.

c'mon HZ. You don't really believe that.

Eh, maybe not ....?

Where are the annoying internet atheists? Well, I found some really arrogant young fellows on Richard Dawkins's old forums. On there, if you didn't subscribe to the hard sciences, your views didn't really count. ...

I agree with this assessment. Plus, so many of those forums devolved into fights over semantics. Ho. Hum. It became BORING very quickly.