Goodbye Jesus

Going Back

Falloutdude

Btw, don't feel bad about being sensitive, there is a major shortage of sensitive guys in the world. You're in demand :)

Fallout, think about this also. If you go to a place where the majority of people think that Christianity sucks balls, and you ask them for permission to go back to it, don't expect them to cheer you on and think you're doing the right thing. If people on this site feels that Christianity is dog vomit, don't be surprised if someone expresses it. Christianity sucks. And if you want it so bad, don't ask for permossion to go back to it, at least not from this kind of place. Imagine if you went into an AA meeting and ask them for support to drink. Would they pat your back and tell you it's okay to do it? In the end, you have to own it, your decisions, and your life. I'm an asshole. I know. But I think you need to hear it.

I don't want to go back, but i can't explain certain things and it's driving me crazy and i don't know what else to do. I don't see how a professional can help me because they can't explain something better than other people, at least not when it comes to explaining seemingly paranormal phenomenon in a naturalist way that doesn't invoke the supernatural or god (christian god especially) Like the what ifs/being afraid it might have been god doing it is keeping me from letting go. It's not that i believe it was god, but since i can't really explain it, i can't stop being afraid of what if/rationalizing it. I'm just going half crazy, i hate the religion and i don't want to go back, but i don't see how to stop worrying. No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition. Unless i have that, i don't think i can go on. Even though i view christianity as slavery, in it's most raw and disgusting form. However i don't know how to free myself from the fear of it. I want to leave, but i don't know how, even with all the info i have, the story i have from a person i trust who isn't trying to win me to god, and doesn't believe in christianity, is fucking me over because i don't know how to move on without having an answer i feel like

I want my life i had back again, i want to have the freedom and contentment i had before, where i didn't worry about this stuff at all, i thought it was silly. I want that back!! That's what i want. I want to be able to think about sex and not worry if i'm going to be able to relax/not over think it because of my religious fears. I want to be able to do the things i used to love, that now i'm too afraid to do because i can't stop thinking about how stuck i am

btw i wasn't angry, i was suicidal/depressed. If i was angry it was because it hurt. I didn't see the dog part as the insult, only the fool part. Like i was completely stupid, that hurt more than anything.

Did you know people have unexplainable experiences in all different religions all over the world? They're never as grand as the stories they believe in their holy books, but people experience things. Tons of people have them here in the US because it's such a religious country. Even though we seem pretty secular, most people have some belief, and most have what they believe are supernatural experiences. It's rare to find a person who hasn't had anything happen.

The fundamentalist Christian groups can get into some pretty weird stuff too. I can guarantee there's thousands of faith healings going on all over the US on any given day. The power of belief in the mind can do all sorts of things. I've been in services where people thought they were getting gold teeth, seeing angels, manifesting demons, getting pinched by angels(that one was weird). seeing visions, feeling the presence of god, and lots more. This is a VERY religious country and there TONS of Pentecostals,, Charismatics, Assembly of God, etc. so it's really no surprise if you're one of the millions who's had something happen.

One thing you need to realize, it that other religions have the exact same thing. It's true. Millions of people all over the world, each relating the experiences to their respective religion. To think that when something happens that you can't explain , that it's supposed to prove one particular religion is true, is not seeing the the big picture. You're thinking what everyone else thinks. 'My experiences prove to me that (insert religion) is real.' It doesn't matter what religion you are when it comes to strange experiences. When you're on that level of belief of course you're going to experience things. So does everyone else.

And you don't even have to be active in a church for it to happen. Just the seed that's planted can generate an experience. We have these beliefs deep in our mind because of being from this religious country.

I've had a lot of things happen to me that I can explain now, but a couple in particular that I can't explain. It even involved using the bible. Does it bother me? Nope. It's part of the human experience, and has no religious preference. But those two little experiences are what held me back from decoverting for years. I kept thinking it must be true because of what happened. I didn't realize these things happen all over the world. Understanding this will take away your fear.

You have stated the core of your problem. You expect 100% certainty that he does not exist before you can free your mind, but you allow yourself to be enslaved without being able to say "without a doubt" he does exist. So, for freedom you must have 100% certainty, but for enslavement, you accept less.

I guess i don't exactly see how they're equal....What i mean is, there's nothing to fear if he doesn't exist, but an eternity of torture if he does.

I know what you're talking about Fallout. Same here--I had to be one hundred percent sure he doesn't exist before I could deconvert. Even so, the fear of the possibility of hell lingered for ten years.

I think the difference between you and me is that you (if I correctly understand your posts in this thread) "deconverted" through rebellion because you wanted to do "sinful" things. It was more on the emotional level. I deconverted on the intellectual level, carefully working it out over the long haul of several decades. Even so, I've looked back but only for about fifteen minutes at a time because there is no way I can return with integrity. And integrity is what it's all about for me.

I think your initial feeling of freedom came from the natural euphoria of liberation from slavery. I suspect the fear that came later, after the euphoria subsided, is the consequence of the blatant disobedience to what you were taught. That is just the way the human psyche works even if the teachings were totally wrong. If this is the case, I think you can safely disregard the fear.

I am confident that not only does God not exist, but neither does any other supernatural place, entity, or thing such as hell, angels, Jesus or Satan. Here's why.

It is said that certain events and human behaviors are due to divine intervention and/or supernatural influence. My focus over the course of decades (from childhood to about age 50) was to prove or disprove that concept.

The King James Bible is pretty clear that we can know whether things are from God or not. By extension, this implies we can know whether or not there is a God. In other words, we are allowed to look for and find evidence to support the beliefs we are expected to profess. This calls for an application of the scientific method. (No parent, preacher, or teacher told me this but logic did.)

Inside the above time period, I applied all the popular and academic literature I could lay hands on regarding the supernatural realm, world, and human behavior. This included a survey of Aboriginal religions and magic. Before I could deconvert, I had to know whether there is such a thing as the supernatural realm--Christian or otherwise. I can go into more detail on this if you like. However, I could find zero evidence. There are natural explanations for everything.

When there are natural explanations for things then there cannot be supernatural causes.

God is part of the supernatural. So is hell. And angels, fairies, the devil, etc.

The universe that can be explored by science and the senses is natural.

Life is less sensational without the supernatural and its cosmic meanings of life and eternal consequences. But believe me, it's a lot more manageable for mere mortals.

I know what you're talking about Fallout. Same here--I had to be one hundred percent sure he doesn't exist before I could deconvert. Even so, the fear of the possibility of hell lingered for ten years.

I think the difference between you and me is that you (if I correctly understand your posts in this thread) "deconverted" through rebellion because you wanted to do "sinful" things. It was more on the emotional level. I deconverted on the intellectual level, carefully working it out over the long haul of several decades. Even so, I've looked back but only for about fifteen minutes at a time because there is no way I can return with integrity. And integrity is what it's all about for me.

I think your initial feeling of freedom came from the natural euphoria of liberation from slavery. I suspect the fear that came later, after the euphoria subsided, is the consequence of the blatant disobedience to what you were taught. That is just the way the human psyche works even if the teachings were totally wrong. If this is the case, I think you can safely disregard the fear.

I am confident that not only does God not exist, but neither does any other supernatural place, entity, or thing such as hell, angels, Jesus or Satan. Here's why.

It is said that certain events and human behaviors are due to divine intervention and/or supernatural influence. My focus over the course of decades (from childhood to about age 50) was to prove or disprove that concept.

The King James Bible is pretty clear that we can know whether things are from God or not. By extension, this implies we can know whether or not there is a God. In other words, we are allowed to look for and find evidence to support the beliefs we are expected to profess. This calls for an application of the scientific method. (No parent, preacher, or teacher told me this but logic did.)

Inside the above time period, I applied all the popular and academic literature I could lay hands on regarding the supernatural realm, world, and human behavior. This included a survey of Aboriginal religions and magic. Before I could deconvert, I had to know whether there is such a thing as the supernatural realm--Christian or otherwise. I can go into more detail on this if you like. However, I could find zero evidence. There are natural explanations for everything.

When there are natural explanations for things then there cannot be supernatural causes.

God is part of the supernatural. So is hell. And angels, fairies, the devil, etc.

The universe that can be explored by science and the senses is natural.

Life is less sensational without the supernatural and its cosmic meanings of life and eternal consequences. But believe me, it's a lot more manageable for mere mortals.

Not exactly, it became emotional later (see above response to vigile). I first deconverted because of my college experiences/classes. There was an emotional freedom in it. Then when i had experienced that, and lost it, i wanted it back. Also the fear of living back in that world motivates me. Now it is emotional. Although i don't really believe it, i'm scared it might be true

I don't want to go back, but i can't explain certain things and it's driving me crazy and i don't know what else to do. I don't see how a professional can help me because they can't explain something better than other people, at least not when it comes to explaining seemingly paranormal phenomenon in a naturalist way that doesn't invoke the supernatural or god (christian god especially) Like the what ifs/being afraid it might have been god doing it is keeping me from letting go. It's not that i believe it was god, but since i can't really explain it, i can't stop being afraid of what if/rationalizing it. I'm just going half crazy, i hate the religion and i don't want to go back, but i don't see how to stop worrying. No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition.

Your problem is that you have a craving and drive to know and have everything explained. You have a fear of not knowing the answer on some things. But you have to learn to accept that some things are unexplained in the world. And you have to come to the conclusion that even if things don't have a scientific explanation today, it doesn't make them unexplainable in some distant future and it doesn't make those things supernatural.

An airplane is magically floating on air. We are sending voice and text messages magically through the ether. We are magically moving stuff with wagons without horses.

All those things are magic and supernatural to a person 150-200 years ago. So if a person from the 18th century saw your cell phone and saw it used, but the user couldn't explain how it worked satisfactory to that old man... his conclusion must be that it was angles sent by Jesus transporting your voice...?

Unless i have that, i don't think i can go on. Even though i view christianity as slavery, in it's most raw and disgusting form. However i don't know how to free myself from the fear of it. I want to leave, but i don't know how, even with all the info i have, the story i have from a person i trust who isn't trying to win me to god, and doesn't believe in christianity, is fucking me over because i don't know how to move on without having an answer i feel like

If you had experiences that were relating to Buddhism... you would be saying that you can't go on without going back to Buddhism.

I see your experiences as perhaps unexplainable (but not really), but you're hooked up on that those experience must be supernatural, must be from Jesus, and must be relating to Christianity, and nothing else. And that's folly. Sorry, but it is.

I want my life i had back again, i want to have the freedom and contentment i had before, where i didn't worry about this stuff at all, i thought it was silly.

It's a matter of actually growing up. Life is not going to go back to the easy and peaceful life when you were a kid. It's the truth.

I want that back!! That's what i want. I want to be able to think about sex and not worry if i'm going to be able to relax/not over think it because of my religious fears. I want to be able to do the things i used to love, that now i'm too afraid to do because i can't stop thinking about how stuck i am

btw i wasn't angry, i was suicidal/depressed. If i was angry it was because it hurt. I didn't see the dog part as the insult, only the fool part. Like i was completely stupid, that hurt more than anything.

1. I think Christianity is foolish

2. Most people on this site think Christianity is foolish

3. When someone thinks that Christianity is wrong but then ask us if it's okay to go back to Christianity that both he and the rest think is foolish.

4. Then it fits that the person is being foolish when he is doing something foolish.

Don't expect to be pampered and cuddled. Are you child or a grown person? Are you asking about going back to Christianity only for the purpose of validation and acceptance from people here? Do you want people only to tell you "Sure buddy, go back, Christianity is awesome! It's great. We love Christianity, that's why we left it. So please go back, you're doing the greatest and smartest thing anyone can do, because Christianity is super delicious.' Would we? Or is it more probable that those who don't like Christianity will tell you it's stupid to go back?

It's not that i believe it was god, but since i can't really explain it, i can't stop being afraid of what if/rationalizing it. I'm just going half crazy, i hate the religion and i don't want to go back, but i don't see how to stop worrying. No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition.

It's not that no one can explain it. It's that you REFUSE to accept any explanation other than god. You REFUSE to see the truth. You INSIST on seeing god acting in some sort of supernatural way when that is the LEAST logical explanation for what happened.

• Like 4

Fallout, you've got to learn to trust your own conclusions and observations over the scary, irrational bullshit that gets thrown at you. Otherwise we're all wasting our time here.

• Like 2

It's not that i believe it was god, but since i can't really explain it, i can't stop being afraid of what if/rationalizing it. I'm just going half crazy, i hate the religion and i don't want to go back, but i don't see how to stop worrying. No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition.

It's not that no one can explain it. It's that you REFUSE to accept any explanation other than god. You REFUSE to see the truth. You INSIST on seeing god acting in some sort of supernatural way when that is the LEAST logical explanation for what happened.

I don't refuse, i just am not confident/don't really believe the explanations account for all the experiences described. So i'm left with the supernatural.

• Super Moderator
They don't make sense. So i'm left with the supernatural.

No, you're not. The "supernatural" is the least likely explanation for anything. Just because you don't know the answer, you don't have to make up a ridiculous solution. It's okay to not know everything; you never will have all the answers.

• Like 3

I don't refuse, i just am not confident/don't really believe the explanations account for all the experiences described. They don't make sense. So i'm left with the supernatural.

The explanations offered to you do make sense. Your fears will not allow you to see that. You refuse to see the truth in that you allow your fears to take control of your mind and unless someone can prove to your 100% satisfaction that god had nothing to do with it, then you fall back into the "god did it" mode. You think you have no control over your fears. And in so thinking, you give up.

Look at your very words, "No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition." Your words are not true. It has been explained to you in a way that is plausible/probable. It is not probabilities that you seek. It is 100% absolute, irrefutable, no way to question it proof that you seek. And what you seek is an impossibility. So, you reach far beyond seeking probabilities. Stop fooling yourself that no one has offered you plausible/probable explanations. Many have.

• Like 2

I think you know at your core there is nothing to go back to. What is it exactly that you think you require the kind of punishment for that makes you have to live your whole life being something you aren't?

Once I worked out that my commitment to christianity was ENTIRELY emotional, it wasn't hard to let it go. Looking at the whole thing rationally, it is ridiculous. None of it makes any sense. You can be a good person without having anything to do with christianity if that is what is important to you. You need to fight the fear mate. Once you conquer that, your life will be yours again.

When you say your commitment was emotional, do you mean emotional as in fear, or emotional as in wanting to please others?

I mean emotional in the sense that I loved god, that I believed I was having a relationship with him, that he cared for me on a personal basis, in short everything my parents didn't do for me. I was a sensitive 9 year old kid in a children's home whose family had fallen apart. I clung to the first thing that seemed real and safe like a barnacle to the bottom of a boat. Added to that, I am a perfectionist in an emotional sense, and I loved the "beauty" of holiness when everything else seems so tainted in my mind. That was the positive side.

The negative side was that because my life was arleady so traumatic and I felt so much shame, christianity hooked into it and in essence taught me how to torture myself emotionally. If I am a natural obsessive perfectionist where my behaviour towards others is concerned, something that constantly tells me what a piece of shit I am no matter how hard I try is only ever going to have one outcome. You know those rat wheels where the rat runs around and around trying to get somewhere but there is no end to the journey? That is what christianity did to me, and that is what it does to you.

Removing these emotional hooks from my heart took a long time, but once I did, I was no longer able to be controlled by guilt and shame, well not by christians anyway. Guilt I have almost entirely given up but shame continues to plague me in ways even I don't always understand. I still think the world is tainted by self interest but that is something I just have to learn to live with. I thought at one point that christianity was a way to fight that but in fact christians are some of the most dishonest and self interested people I have met.

Fallout, you have yourself. You have family and friends who care aobut you but your life is your owm to work out. Trying to apply christianity as a template over it is making you feel very umcomfortable because every fibre of your being is actually fighting against what it KNOWS it doesn't want.

Follow your heart mate, NOT your fear. Inside your sensitive soulis strength and regard for yourself. As hard as it is, you have to cling to those things instead of letting the guilt and fear enslave and terrorise you. You have one life mate, make it your own, not anyone else's.

I look back now and get SO angry with myself for staying in church so long, for expecting those silly fuckwits to understand the struggles inside my soul and to actually care enough to help me in some tangible way. Truth is, they don't know and they don't care. We are sensitive people fallout, but we have to workout how to negotiate that for ourselves, no one else is going to come along with a magic cure, certainly not christianity.

• Like 4

The explanations offered to you do make sense. Your fears will not allow you to see that. You refuse to see the truth in that you allow your fears to take control of your mind and unless someone can prove to your 100% satisfaction that god had nothing to do with it, then you fall back into the "god did it" mode. You think you have no control over your fears. And in so thinking, you give up.

Look at your very words, "No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition." Your words are not true. It has been explained to you in a way that is plausible/probable. It is not probabilities that you seek. It is 100% absolute, irrefutable, no way to question it proof that you seek. And what you seek is an impossibility. So, you reach far beyond seeking probabilities. Stop fooling yourself that no one has offered you plausible/probable explanations. Many have.

The way you say is it sounds like you think i do it on purpose. I haven't given up, i'm still searching. I just don't feel like the explanations given explain the whole story. That's the truth. Not saying explanations haven't been given, but it feels like it's just skipping over details which. I don't seek 100% without a doubt, i seek something i can tell myself that i believe could have happened as opposed to some other explanation i don't. Not saying they're not plausible, i just don't feel like they are. I'm not confident they are.

I can't control what i find satisfactory. These are just my thoughts, i can't control what i'm confident about

The way you say is it sounds like you think i do it on purpose.

Maybe you're not aware of your mind subconsciously making you biased. You favor Christian miracles over non-Christian miracles.

For instance, can you explain the floating rock in Jerusalem which many Muslims believe to be caused by a miracle by Allah?

I don't want to go back, but i can't explain certain things and it's driving me crazy and i don't know what else to do. I don't see how a professional can help me because they can't explain something better than other people, at least not when it comes to explaining seemingly paranormal phenomenon in a naturalist way that doesn't invoke the supernatural or god (christian god especially) Like the what ifs/being afraid it might have been god doing it is keeping me from letting go. It's not that i believe it was god, but since i can't really explain it, i can't stop being afraid of what if/rationalizing it. I'm just going half crazy, i hate the religion and i don't want to go back, but i don't see how to stop worrying. No one can really explain it in a way that sounds like it's plausible/probable instead of the supernatural god definition.

Your problem is that you have a craving and drive to know and have everything explained. You have a fear of not knowing the answer on some things. But you have to learn to accept that some things are unexplained in the world. And you have to come to the conclusion that even if things don't have a scientific explanation today, it doesn't make them unexplainable in some distant future and it doesn't make those things supernatural.

An airplane is magically floating on air. We are sending voice and text messages magically through the ether. We are magically moving stuff with wagons without horses.

All those things are magic and supernatural to a person 150-200 years ago. So if a person from the 18th century saw your cell phone and saw it used, but the user couldn't explain how it worked satisfactory to that old man... his conclusion must be that it was angles sent by Jesus transporting your voice...?

Unless i have that, i don't think i can go on. Even though i view christianity as slavery, in it's most raw and disgusting form. However i don't know how to free myself from the fear of it. I want to leave, but i don't know how, even with all the info i have, the story i have from a person i trust who isn't trying to win me to god, and doesn't believe in christianity, is fucking me over because i don't know how to move on without having an answer i feel like

If you had experiences that were relating to Buddhism... you would be saying that you can't go on without going back to Buddhism.

I see your experiences as perhaps unexplainable (but not really), but you're hooked up on that those experience must be supernatural, must be from Jesus, and must be relating to Christianity, and nothing else. And that's folly. Sorry, but it is.

I want my life i had back again, i want to have the freedom and contentment i had before, where i didn't worry about this stuff at all, i thought it was silly.

It's a matter of actually growing up. Life is not going to go back to the easy and peaceful life when you were a kid. It's the truth.

I want that back!! That's what i want. I want to be able to think about sex and not worry if i'm going to be able to relax/not over think it because of my religious fears. I want to be able to do the things i used to love, that now i'm too afraid to do because i can't stop thinking about how stuck i am

1. I think Christianity is foolish

2. Most people on this site think Christianity is foolish

3. When someone thinks that Christianity is wrong but then ask us if it's okay to go back to Christianity that both he and the rest think is foolish.

4. Then it fits that the person is being foolish when he is doing something foolish.

Don't expect to be pampered and cuddled. Are you child or a grown person? Are you asking about going back to Christianity only for the purpose of validation and acceptance from people here? Do you want people only to tell you "Sure buddy, go back, Christianity is awesome! It's great. We love Christianity, that's why we left it. So please go back, you're doing the greatest and smartest thing anyone can do, because Christianity is super delicious.' Would we? Or is it more probable that those who don't like Christianity will tell you it's stupid to go back?

Five stars! *****

Some good read: http://www.fallacydetective.com/articles/read/how-we-know-what-isnt-so

6. Reinterpreting Evidence – When people are presented with ambiguous information, they interpret it to support their established beliefs. When people are presented with unambiguous information that contradicts their beliefs, they tend to pay close attention to it, scrutinize it, and either invent a way of discounting it as unreliable, or redefine it to be less damaging than it really is.

For instance, gamblers tend to remember their losses very well – remember them better than their winnings – but they remember their losses as “near” wins that provide clues on how to win next time. Gamblers aren’t the only ones to do this. Christians do too, as do scientists, presidential candidates and insurance agents.

I thought this was what the "spirituality" forum was for? People who think the "supernatural" is real and want to talk about all that jazz? Why not go in there and jibber-jabber with them?

I have to admit I can't quite follow why we're talking this guy out of the reality/possibility of all these things since I'm of the understand that seems to be poor form. This thread has only served to confuse me all that much more on what behaviors and attitudes are considered good and acceptable.

mwc

• Like 1

I thought this was what the "spirituality" forum was for? People who think the "supernatural" is real and want to talk about all that jazz? Why not go in there and jibber-jabber with them?

I have to admit I can't quite follow why we're talking this guy out of the reality/possibility of all these things since I'm of the understand that seems to be poor form. This thread has only served to confuse me all that much more on what behaviors and attitudes are considered good and acceptable.

mwc

Isn't this the "Ex-Christian Life Forum"?

Here's a copy of the Rules for the Spirituality Forum:

This area is for those who have left Christianity for some other form of theism or spirituality.

All members (except apologists) are permitted to post in this area. However, all are asked to especially adhere to the foundational purpose of this site while visiting this section: namely, to encourage ex-Christians.

Although Ex-Christian.net has no particular quarrel with deists, pagans, Buddhists, and other forms of non-evangelical spiritual thinkers, at times discussions do have a tendency to create the impression that "ex-Christian" automatically means "atheist." The reality is, ex-Christian only means ex-Christian. Nothing else is implied by the term.

In this one area of Ex-Christian.net, each individual who has adopted an alternative spiritual expression should feel encouraged to freely express any experiences, thoughts, or opinions without fear of being brow beaten, harshly criticized, or condemned.

And these are the rules for the Ex-Christian Life forum:

So far as I know, Ex-Christian Life is open for freely debate. Only Spirituality forum is restricted.

Does that clear up the confusion?

You would think that would clear things up. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

mwc

You would think that would clear things up. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

I think the complaints usually are located in the Spirituality forum. Maybe it spills over to other forums as well. The only restriction I think we're doing in this one is that we won't allow Christians to post much in here.

Anywho...

I undetstans rhis is a hatd thinh to work ouy im your mind but tou just need to make a descision alteadu. I don't think anyone can help you make thay descision. You just need to buckle dpwn and make a syand.

(my fimgrrs are too fat for tjos phpne.)

You're just going to keep wallowing around in your derp on here forever. Just go back. If you like it, whatever. going back may be exactly what you need to see that it is bullshit.

herpderpderp

You're just going to keep wallowing around in your derp on here forever. Just go back. If you like it, whatever. going back may be exactly what you need to see that it is bullshit.

herpderpderp

Not the most tactful, but your point is taken

However it's not so easy for me since the church i'd be going back to i kinda burnt all the bridges (deleted them and blocked them from facebook, cut off all contact without letting them know i was going to leave after 18 years of attendance) and it'd be uber embarrassing and humiliating. Not to mention i don't want to go back, that's kind of a big block...ha ha

Go to a different one. They're all the same thing just wrapped up in different derp.