Goodbye Jesus

Phrases And Words Used Incorrectly.

ireckinso

The guy who had the Great Pair of Knees dog, also had a West Island Terrier. One day he was talking about this Mexican guy working with him, named Jesus. He said he would never call that guy Jesus, so he started calling him Ravioli. I asked him why "Ravioli". He said, "You know, that Mexican food, Ravioli. Get it?" No, I didn't have to heart to correct him.

I have a brother-in-law that was worried that his pregnant wife might have postmortem depression after the baby was born! (Not unless the baby dies, you moron! - He meant postpartum)

:lmao:

In fact there is a phrase used by adults with small children, referring to a Yankee dime (which is a kiss). Can't figure that one out. We refer to a kiss as sugar, though.

That's sweet. I always liked "saying "Sure, sugar."

He said he would never call that guy Jesus, so he started calling him Ravioli. I asked him why "Ravioli". He said, "You know, that Mexican food, Ravioli. Get it?" No, I didn't have to heart to correct him.

LOL! I went to Red Foods one day looking for mozzarella and ricotta cheese to make lasagna. I should have known they wouldn't exist, especially next to the American cheese. I asked if they'd order some mozzarella and the clerk said "Huh?" Pizza cheese! "oh, pizza cheese!" They ordered it and people started buying it up!

What the poor grammar of the South needs is an influx of Yankees, Asians, Europeans, etc., i.e. immigrants. Someday I plan on moving back to the South. The only thing that will grate my nerves will be the fundys opening their pie holes. Other than that, I'll be content hiking, rafting, and tubing in nature!

[

At the risk of being called "Cliff Claven," there's actually a legal principal regarding this issue in the US. The best way I know how to describe it is through example. The brand Xerox has become so intertwined with copiers as jargon it lost some of its its copyright protection. I'm pretty sure the word coke is not longer exclusive either for the same reason.

Yes, I remember reading about this in my Business Law class. The same thing applies to "Band Aid" for adhesive bandage and "Kleenex" for tissue. There were a few more but I can't remember. I suppose that would apply to "Hoover" in the U.K. :shrug:

It's about losing a trademark. Interestingly, a trademark can become so popularly known that it effectively becomes a generic term, then it can lose its trademark protection. And Coca Cola actually only lost the "cola" part of its trademark but holds onto Coke. That's why you have such names as Pepsi Cola, RC Cola, etc. A cola is now a dark colored, carbonated, non-alcoholic, drink.

I'm guilty as charged of calling any shaken cocktail in a martini glass a "martini". Truly most of these concoctions are cocktails, and not true Martinis. This drives true martini drinkers crazy. Especially since lately putting the suffix "tini" after any girlish sweet libation served up seems to make it a "such and such martini".

But a true martini is gin and dry vermouth, with either olive or twist (or the rare cocktail onion). Substitute vodka for gin and you should specify it as a "vodka martini".

My father drank one martini per week, every saturday at cocktail hour, gin on the rocks with a twist, until he was into his 70s. I, however, am guilty of adding various cordial liqueurs to vodka, shaking with ice til the sweat beads on the shaker, straining it into the loveliest stemware that comes to hand, and calling it a MARTINI.

And I like to be wearing a sheath dress and heels a la Breakfast at Tiffany's or Mad Men whilst tending my bar.

edit: I think I'll go shake one up right now

But a true martini is gin and dry vermouth, with either olive or twist (or the rare cocktail onion). Substitute vodka for gin and you should specify it as a "vodka martini".

Actually, a true Martini is a Martini & Rossi aperitif, but I suppose they lost their trademark too. :D

I did a tour of their company in Italy. It's pretty cool. The vermouth concoction is stored in tubed containers several stories high and has to age 7 years IIRC.

[Yep, "damn Yankee" is a term used frequently down here. In fact there is a phrase used by adults with small children, referring to a Yankee dime (which is a kiss). Can't figure that one out. We refer to a kiss as sugar, though.

My mother grew up in Arkansas. She always used to say that she was not aware that "Damn Yankee" was two words until she was a teenager. :lmao:

The first sentence I heard from a Cranston native was delivered to me at my driver's side window. I think I must have asked him six times to repeat it. It went like this:

"Cdja puhya kaaahpltl?"

Mine was a brief stay in Rhode Island, largely because I didn't speak the language.

The first sentence I heard from a Cranston native was delivered to me at my driver's side window. I think I must have asked him six times to repeat it. It went like this:

"Cdja puhya kaaahpltl?"

Mine was a brief stay in Rhode Island, largely because I didn't speak the language.

Translation, please. I've read this six times and all I get is something like: could you pull your (something). It's making me crazy!

In fact there is a phrase used by adults with small children, referring to a Yankee dime (which is a kiss). Can't figure that one out. We refer to a kiss as sugar, though.

That's sweet. I always liked "saying "Sure, sugar."

He said he would never call that guy Jesus, so he started calling him Ravioli. I asked him why "Ravioli". He said, "You know, that Mexican food, Ravioli. Get it?" No, I didn't have to heart to correct him.

LOL! I went to Red Foods one day looking for mozzarella and ricotta cheese to make lasagna. I should have known they wouldn't exist, especially next to the American cheese. I asked if they'd order some mozzarella and the clerk said "Huh?" Pizza cheese! "oh, pizza cheese!" They ordered it and people started buying it up!

What the poor grammar of the South needs is an influx of Yankees, Asians, Europeans, etc., i.e. immigrants. Someday I plan on moving back to the South. The only thing that will grate my nerves will be the fundys opening their pie holes. Other than that, I'll be content hiking, rafting, and tubing in nature!

I had a similar incident with Parmesan cheese, just two weeks ago.

As far as the south needing an influx, have you been to Atlanta lately? Definately an influx.

It's really nice down here, once you learn the "language." With the fundies, I can give you the magic words to stop them dead in their tracks. "I'm Jewish." Seriously! And it's interesting that the Jewish people are held in high regard and are highly respected. I can't tell you how many times I've heard something like: "He's good businessman, he's a Jew, you know." or "Of course he's successful, he's a Jew."

I worked for a law firm where all of the attorneys were Jewish. One fundy secretary asked my boss if he had ever heard of Jesus. He replied, "Of course, he was one of the boys."

Translation, please. I've read this six times and all I get is something like: could you pull your (something). It's making me crazy!

I lived in New England "for a spell", so I think the guy said, "Could you pull your car up a little?"

I had a similar incident with Parmesan cheese, just two weeks ago.

Damn! I was hoping their taste in cheeses changed to include more than American cheese. I hate that stuff it tastes like fake cheese to my taste buds.

As far as the south needing an influx, have you been to Atlanta lately? Definately an influx.

That's funny, because I'm going to visit my niece who just moved there!

With the fundies, I can give you the magic words to stop them dead in their tracks. "I'm Jewish."

I worked for a law firm where all of the attorneys were Jewish. One fundy secretary asked my boss if he had ever heard of Jesus. He replied, "Of course, he was one of the boys."

Oh, I'll have to use that one! "He was one of the boys" should become a classic! :HaHa:

I lived in New England "for a spell", so I think the guy said, "Could you pull your car up a little?"

Exactly!

Then, since I seemed to him to be so obviously incapable on every level, he offered to do it himself, with the question, "Keez-deh?"

Exactly!

Then, since I seemed to him to be so obviously incapable on every level, he offered to do it himself, with the question, "Keez-deh?"

Keys dear? Did he expect you to hand over your keys and let him take your wheel like Jesus? I'm still at a loss. :shrug:

Exactly!

Keys dear? Did he expect you to hand over your keys and let him take your wheel like Jesus? I'm still at a loss. :shrug:

No, "deh" in his language roughly translates as "there" in ours. He was as impatient as I was mystified.

• 1 month later...

We had planned to go to the zoo on this Sunday afternoon with some friends, but that was cancelled. These friends have custody of one of their grandchildren, I'll call him Mike. The church where my wife goes has this Halloween thing called "Trunk or Treat" and people decorate the trunk of their car/van on the inside and hand out candy for Halloween. So my wife says,"Since we can't go to the zoo, let's take Mike to the junk in the trunk or whatever they call that Halloween thing they do."