Goodbye Jesus

I Happened Upon This..

Noumena

Mellen-Thomas Benedict is an artist who survived a near-death experience in 1982.

The first sentence pretty well explains it. He's a fruit-loop.

Mellen-Thomas Benedict is an CON artist who survived a near-death experience in 1982.

The first sentence pretty well explains it. He's a fruit-loop.

There. Fixed up the quote.

I particularly enjoyed this part:

Because of his near-death experience, he was able to bring back scientific discoveries. Mr. Benedict has been closely involved in the mechanics of cellular communication and research dealing with the relationship of light to life called Quantum Biology.

I did a bit of research on this guy.

Almost nothing until 2005 when he made his website.

He patented stuff BEFORE the claimed NDE and after.

Every claim is unsubstantiated, even the most basic ones.

There is nothing to suggest anything credible.

Everything is faith based.

You don't even get to know the hospital he was in, his nurse is referred to under a pseudonym.

Lots of claims and nothing to support even one of them.

Has anyone read this before? I'm curious to know your thoughts and feelings about this....

I find the very concept of reincarnation horrifying [shudder].

However, this is just someone with another baroque belief system to me, whether or not reincarnation is part of it. They will have to present something more than their own assertions and interpretations and experiences to make me take it seriously. As others have already pointed out, substantiated details about his hospitalization, attending nurses and physicians, would be a great start, it would at least lend some credibility.

I'm not completely closed to paranormal experiences including NDEs, but people have a strong tendency to superimpose their beliefs, hopes, and needs onto what are invariably vague, inconclusive experiences. I had a paranormal experience recently, my first, and it's intriguing but allows me to draw no real conclusions. If there is a world of noncorporeal consciousness, it's almost as if there are non-discoverability rules about it. It appears to not be the sort of thing you investigate with pure intellect, yet, at the end of the day what do we really have but that to work with?

I can't have a conversation with you based on my personal subjective experiences and feelings, that allows you to act on them, unless you have the same or very similar experiences yourself and thus find validation in them. It is highly likely that you and I experience things like "blue sky", "pin prick", and "scrambled eggs" more or less the same -- we don't have difficulty talking about these topics because we have a largely shared experience about them. People write about scrambled eggs as if we all agree they exist, are yellow, squishy, and come from chickens, because that is what we all unambiguously know about them. No one has debates about the existence of scrambled eggs -- not even someone from a place where scrambled eggs are unknown, because we can get out a skillet and show them what we are talking about and they will agree that yes, I see what you mean, they're yellow egginess. Yet, we can't have that same conversations about afterlives or spiritual beings because even when we humans have experiences along those lines we can't agree on what they mean or what they are like or even on the objective data conveyed.

You can tap dance around that by saying, like this guy does, that everyone creates their own heaven and that explains why Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Spiritists and Atheists and worshipers of Odin all describe it differently, but since it's not a shared experience it's just so many unsubstantiatable assertions and you can't really do anything with it.

Has anyone read this before? I'm curious to know your thoughts and feelings about this....

I find the very concept of reincarnation horrifying [shudder].

However, this is just someone with another baroque belief system to me, whether or not reincarnation is part of it. They will have to present something more than their own assertions and interpretations and experiences to make me take it seriously. As others have already pointed out, substantiated details about his hospitalization, attending nurses and physicians, would be a great start, it would at least lend some credibility.

I'm not completely closed to paranormal experiences including NDEs, but people have a strong tendency to superimpose their beliefs, hopes, and needs onto what are invariably vague, inconclusive experiences. I had a paranormal experience recently, my first, and it's intriguing but allows me to draw no real conclusions. If there is a world of noncorporeal consciousness, it's almost as if there are non-discoverability rules about it. It appears to not be the sort of thing you investigate with pure intellect, yet, at the end of the day what do we really have but that to work with?

I can't have a conversation with you based on my personal subjective experiences and feelings, that allows you to act on them, unless you have the same or very similar experiences yourself and thus find validation in them. It is highly likely that you and I experience things like "blue sky", "pin prick", and "scrambled eggs" more or less the same -- we don't have difficulty talking about these topics because we have a largely shared experience about them. People write about scrambled eggs as if we all agree they exist, are yellow, squishy, and come from chickens, because that is what we all unambiguously know about them. No one has debates about the existence of scrambled eggs -- not even someone from a place where scrambled eggs are unknown, because we can get out a skillet and show them what we are talking about and they will agree that yes, I see what you mean, they're yellow egginess. Yet, we can't have that same conversations about afterlives or spiritual beings because even when we humans have experiences along those lines we can't agree on what they mean or what they are like or even on the objective data conveyed.

You can tap dance around that by saying, like this guy does, that everyone creates their own heaven and that explains why Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Spiritists and Atheists and worshipers of Odin all describe it differently, but since it's not a shared experience it's just so many unsubstantiatable assertions and you can't really do anything with it.

Yes! I like you, DesertBob :lol:

I think this Mellen-Thomas guy is just another grifter. Maybe not as successful and famous as 'the' Sylvia Brown, but a grifter none-the-less.

I experimented with LSD and mushrooms in my late teens/early twenties and experienced some of the things that he describes. Like the void, the matrix, and the feeling of oneness with the universe. It was a fun experience, but that is all I can take away from it. It doesn't tell me anything useful or give me any answers.

I just skimmed the postings, didn't follow the link, but let's not forget one crucial thing about all those NDEs and such...:

If you came back... you weren't really dead to start with.

'nuff said.

I just skimmed the postings, didn't follow the link, but let's not forget one crucial thing about all those NDEs and such...:

If you came back... you weren't really dead to start with.

'nuff said.

I'll give you the highlight - this guy claims he was dead for an hour and a half. In my book, if that happened, we'd have a resurrection on our hands not an NDE. :)

Why does reincarnation have to include the idea of a "soul"?

The universe goes on, and how I die, and where I lived and all the actions I performed will influence the world around me. Eventually my atoms will become new life. When and where is completely influenced by my choices, yes?

But, yes, reincarnation is not generally viewed as a good thing.

Thought this was interesting. A guy who taught and performed neurosurgery at Harvard Medical school for 15 years talks about what he experienced in a deep coma....and more cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.c...3/0/nzAOupPBJbw

The first video has some serious leaps of logic and I wonder about the ability of the people, including the guy who had been in a coma, to think critically or scientifically even though he is in a field that should be able to. Unable to come up with any rational explanation...please.

The second one has been debunked. I don't know when this program was aired but the guy using random number generators around the world has admitted there was no correlation back in 2003. It missed the most significant even in recent history, 911 when the data was correctly analysed. His initial analysis contained flawed correlation.

The stuff on Penrose and the quantum computing aspect of the mind is speculation. It was then and still is now.

Most of all however, this show uses tricks to give legitimacy to their agenda.

E.g. Stating that science cannot prove that there is a universal greater consciousness.

Science can't prove there is an invisible turtle holding up the Earth either.

The first video has some serious leaps of logic and I wonder about the ability of the people, including the guy who had been in a coma, to think critically or scientifically even though he is in a field that should be able to. Unable to come up with any rational explanation...please.

The second one has been debunked. I don't know when this program was aired but the guy using random number generators around the world has admitted there was no correlation back in 2003. It missed the most significant even in recent history, 911 when the data was correctly analysed. His initial analysis contained flawed correlation.

The stuff on Penrose and the quantum computing aspect of the mind is speculation. It was then and still is now.

Most of all however, this show uses tricks to give legitimacy to their agenda.

E.g. Stating that science cannot prove that there is a universal greater consciousness.

Science can't prove there is an invisible turtle holding up the Earth either.

Wow. I really hate wasting my time. Do you have any recommendations on what I should be watching? Any not-so-outdated stuff that you find interesting? Anything that you trust? This is not sarcasm. I'm really asking.

Recommendations on NDE's?

To be honest I've not seen anything regarding NDE's that is worthy of watching unless you just want to play into imagination rather than know anything conclusive.

Its all speculative and they tend to play on emotions and the unknown to somehow legitimise their presentation.

Basically IMHO its like trying to watch a serious program on astrology (not to be confused with astronomy like FOX seems to do).

Its interesting in-itself to pass the time for some people but there's just nothing legitimate that I'm aware of.

If you're after stuff on the mind then that's a different story. Plenty of stuff out there and its still a field where they are learning more and more every day.

How will you come up with any conclusions without imagining? Of course everything I've posted here is speculation but I believe it deserves my curiosity and is worth looking into.

Wow. I really hate wasting my time. Do you have any recommendations on what I should be watching? Any not-so-outdated stuff that you find interesting? Anything that you trust? This is not sarcasm. I'm really asking.

It's not a waste of time. I liked what you posted. I believe there's some kind of 'higher-self' that can communicate with us. It doesn't do anything 'for' you, but it's more like a helper for whatever it is you want to achieve. You have faith in the universe or whatever and it acts on whatever you put out there. It's a principle I've used and it works, but depends what you're capable of believing. I saw some things happen when I was younger, but now I m more bitter and jaded so I don't see much happen. Maybe when you're near death you don't have those defenses up so can experience a little more than usual.

• Like 1

It's not a waste of time. I liked what you posted. I believe there's some kind of 'higher-self' that can communicate with us. It doesn't do anything 'for' you, but it's more like a helper for whatever it is you want to achieve. You have faith in the universe or whatever and it acts on whatever you put out there. It's a principle I've used and it works, but depends what you're capable of believing. I saw some things happen when I was younger, but now I m more bitter and jaded so I don't see much happen. Maybe when you're near death you don't have those defenses up so can experience a little more than usual.

I have been bitter and jaded for far too long and personally I'm kind of sick and tired of being that way. I have a new found sense of wonder and curiosity about things I used to enjoy....stuff like NDE's and "paranormal". I still get discouraged and tell myself that entertaining thoughts about these kinds of things is just silly, but by allowing myself to be curious and interested has really helped me not focus so much on the awful things I've been through. I've not been so obsessed with watching reality crime shows about stalkers, murderers, and rapists....and that's a big deal for me. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder anticipating another attack. I've found that by exploring and really diving into the things I used to enjoy I haven't been so frightened. I feel lighter and actually happier. :)

I'm glad you like what I posted.:)

• Like 1

I have been bitter and jaded for far too long and personally I'm kind of sick and tired of being that way. I have a new found sense of wonder and curiosity about things I used to enjoy....stuff like NDE's and "paranormal". I still get discouraged and tell myself that entertaining thoughts about these kinds of things is just silly, but by allowing myself to be curious and interested has really helped me not focus so much on the awful things I've been through. I've not been so obsessed with watching reality crime shows about stalkers, murderers, and rapists....and that's a big deal for me. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder anticipating another attack. I've found that by exploring and really diving into the things I used to enjoy I haven't been so frightened. I feel lighter and actually happier. :)

Look into hinduism, buddhism, taoism. in that order. You'll find its more applicable than this, and I find it a bit more interesting :)

Look into hinduism, buddhism, taoism. in that order. You'll find its more applicable than this, and I find it a bit more interesting :)

Already have:) . We have a small Shiva and Kali shrine. My husband has his Master's in Religions and philosophy so we have a huge library of books about all religions :), but the stuff I've been posting here and in the other supernatural thread has a greater pull on me right now.

I can relate to everything you said. I'm starting to feel happier getting into things I was scared of before too. Yes, post more!

• Like 2

http://www.near-deat...arnation04.html

But now I've read this....

http://news.discovery.com/human/-neuroscience-explains-near-death-110923.html

http://www.near-deat...arnation04.html

But now I've read this....

http://news.discover...ath-110923.html

"If you want the answer to Life After death you must search in the Heart of Life.

“Scientific theories can be taken to be temporarily right as tomorrows experiments may succeed in proving what you thought was right to be wrong”. – Prof Richard P Feynman

Going by Cerns latest announcement he was right, so how can we trust science? They are looking within time and space but what ‘We Are’ is beyond time and space, they will never find it with their experiments. All they have to do is look within them selves it is called meditation, the art and science of looking within. But it takes more than curiosity it takes determination and time.

“The great scholars of the age split hairs in all the sciences. They have gained total knowledge and complete mastery of things that have nothing to do with them. But that which is important and closer to him than anything else, namely his own self, this your great scholar does not know”. ‘The spiritual teachings’ of Rumi

“Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes”. Carl Jung "

~Sutemi

I love reading and watching all this stuff! I am always hoping that something will make sense to me.:grin:

I love reading and watching all this stuff! I am always hoping that something will make sense to me.:grin:

I found this GREAT forum that has all the stuff I'm looking for. Stuff like this and more. Man... I really feel at home in this other forum. It has a more "open" feeling to it. Everyone there seems to have more of an explorer's attitude. Everyone I've met seems curious and excited and not just there to get over a hurt, but to explore ideas and mysteries. It "fits" (me) perfectly. :HappyCry: I feel a lot better there and it's a great move forward. I don't feel the need to discuss being Ex Christian anymore and I'll probably visit this site less and less as time goes by. Take care, Margee. =) You have been very kind to me. Thanks.