Goodbye Jesus

Journey Of A Black Gay Atheist

kclark

Guest ThereIsNoGod

I read, not long ago, that Doug Pinnick, the black singer of "christian" band King's X, came out as gay in 1998. From what I've read too, Doug calls himself agnostic now anyway.

Thanks for sharing your story kclark. Although I do not live in the bible belt, I do identify with your story. First you come out of the closet, then you come out of the church. One shock after another to family, friends & strangers.

For me the one people constantly have to be reminded about & I get teased most for, is the fact that I came out of the fridge... as a vegetarian.

So the fact that godless interracial dudes are having hot steamy sex is nothing compared to the fact that they are not eating beef, chicken & ham at every meal.

So be warned should you have any desire to become vegetarian at all, THAT will be the ultimate blasphemy.

I just love when I am sick and people recommend chicken noodle soup. I remind them I'm vegetarian, and I get the "I just saw a serial killer" look.

The real lesson here is... standing up for being yourself can be difficult. We all have to explain to others why we are different. Because truthfully, everyone of us are unique. Follow your heart, always be you, it's totally worth it.

I honestly don't think I have ever known or heard of anyone who's black not being a dyed-in-the-wool Christian. Not that there are not any, I've just never heard of it.

Here is one man who is in my mind, one of the greatest living men among men. He's a hero of atheists/agnostics everywhere:

245px-Neil_deGrasse_Tyson_-_NAC_Nov_2005.jpg

WIKIPEDIA: Neil deGrasse Tyson (born October 5, 1958) is an American astrophysicist, a science communicator, the Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space, and a Research Associate in the Department of Astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History. Since 2006 he has hosted the educational science television show NOVA scienceNOW on PBS, and has been a frequent guest on The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Real Time with Bill Maher, and Jeopardy!. It was announced on 5 August 2011 that Tyson will be hosting a new sequel to Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage TV series.

Wow! A sequel to Carl Sagan's Cosmos? I watched that series (8 hours lon, I guess?) in just few days and I lost my faith right away.

Hi kclark, and welcome!

Great to hear your story. You are a great example against numerous prejudices. :)

Hello kclark! I enjoyed reading your extimony, you sound wise beyond your years.

Black, Athiest and Living in the South? CNN's Belief Blog just ran an article the other day on your growing demographic, coincidentally enough. Hope this may be useful for yourself or others: http://religion.blog...g-in-the-south/.

Thanks for sharing kclark! I am yet another gay, black, atheist living in the South.

Welcome kclark! Glad that you're finally out of that religion shit! It does more harm than good, and it definitely knows how to make people feel bad about themselves.

I read, not long ago, that Doug Pinnick, the black singer of "christian" band King's X, came out as gay in 1998. From what I've read too, Doug calls himself agnostic now anyway.

I LOVE King's X! They're sort of my Ex-Christian band now. Though they never referred to themselves as a Christian band, they were Christians when they started, their worldview affected their lyrics, and they were marketed as a Christian band.

They started getting backlash when Doug used the "f" word on a live version of "Over My Head" on the "Best Of King's X" CD, and then a major fallout when he came out as gay.

By the way, all the guys in the band seem to be skeptics now. Ty Tabor was the last one holding onto his faith, but even he has written lyrics in the past few years that question and apologize for his previous presumptuous certainty.

kclark,

I am a black gay agnostic theist. I haven't thrown the idea of a God completely out the window yet. Anyway, welcome to ex-C. We definately could use some color in these forums. However, my story isn't as thrilling as yours.

As you know being gay, black, and non-Christian can alienate you from a lot of people of color. If you ever want to talk about the black gay non Christian experience, feel free to private message me.

I hope you can find a job playing secular music so you won't be conflicted about playing church music or having a place to live. Also, I really hope your parents don't give you the 10th degree about your sexuality or choice of beliefs. Lastly, is your boyfriend black and non-Christian? I go to a really conservative school in the south and can't find anyone like me. If he is, more power to you. Give him a big ol' kiss for me!

Good luck on your ex-Christian journey.

Googledotman

Welcome to the site Kclark! I am just down the road from you in Lafayette :) I can't imagine how hard this has been for you. Not only having to deal with your homosexuality in a church that is so antagonistic towards gay people, but then to have to deal with your deconversion. The Bible's stance on homosexuality was one of the main things that really made me question it's validity. There is no doubt, the Bible condemns it, but I couldn't get around the fact that I knew so many good and kind gay people who professed being a Christian. Of course, they were always told they must pray that gay away *eyeroll* I have seen lives destroyed by this ridiculous doctrine. None of them could keep this kind of charade up, even though they married and had children. I always thought how I would hate it if someone told me I HAD to be a lesbian even though I am not attracted at all to women. Well, what is the difference of telling a man who is gay that he HAS to be attracted to women. Or a lesbian HAS to be attracted to men. There was even a situation in my church when I was a young woman and a new Christian where a young gay man died of AIDS right before he was going to get married. He was one of the sweetest and kindest human beings I have ever known. Do you know what the church said at his funeral, no less?!!! They said God took him because he wouldn't have been able to stay living a straight life, so it was better for him to die now, while he was still a Christian. What kind of sick bullshit is that?! If this is how God is, I will have none of it, thank you!

Glad to have you here :) This is a wonderful group of people!

Black, Athiest and Living in the South? CNN's Belief Blog just ran an article the other day on your growing demographic, coincidentally enough. Hope this may be useful for yourself or others: http://religion.blog...g-in-the-south/.

Thanks for the link. Hopefully this surge is happening in Louisiana!

Hi kclark, welcome.

I'm a lesbian and I too don't understand why Christians hate homosexual so much. It's stupid that God will send someone to hell just because of his/her sexuality. Sexuality is not a choice, we don't choose to be gay. That is one of the biggest factor why I became atheist. You're great you know, because you can realize that there's nothing wrong to be gay. I have a gay friend and he still thinks that he's not normal because he's gay. but anyway, it's great to have you here. :)

Your story really touched my heart. I am so happy that you were able to get out of the church and live your true life. You, I am sure, notice that while the christians are so obsessed with gay folks, they ignore the other verses about stoning kids who talk back, selling their daughters into slavery, ect ect. They ignore all the verses that apply to them specifically, go after others they can look down on, and make themselves feel so above us humans. That just made me sick. I am so glad you are here. Thank you for sharing your story! I am proud of you!