Goodbye Jesus

Why Didn't The Disciples Stop Judas?

Tabula Rasa

Something occurred to me just a little ago that just doesn't make sense. I haven't picked up a Bible in forever,but I do know that Jesus did tell who would betray him. Something about "The one who sops his bread in wine" or something like that. Ok, so the disciples loved Jesus, they had what the young folks call a "bromance" with him.(Loving another guy as if he was your brother.)

So, once the disciples heard that one of them would betray Jesus, and what action would point out the perpetrator(which turned out as we all know turned out to be Judas), I have to ask this question. Why, oh why didn't the other disciples jump on Judas to keep him from betraying Jesus? They could have also interrogated him so they could find out what the pharisees and romans had planned, and they could have smuggled Jesus to a safe house.

(Knowing how much Simon Peter loved Jesus, I wouldn't have put it past him to have blacked both of Judas's eyes, and loosened a few of his teeth.)

Anyone got an explanation for why the disciples just let Judas walk out and sell out Jesus?

Goodbye Jesus

The most plausible explanation is that Jesus was actually well versed in temporal physics, and subscribed to the theory that the past cannot be changed in a way so as to alter future events. That is, even if it were possible to travel back in the time within one's own timeline, anything you attempt to change will fail to produce the desired effect - the future event will still somehow occur.

Unfortunately, the Bible leaves out this important component of Jesus' teachings to his disciples. They had daily lectures where Jesus would give a PowerPoint session on today's temporal physics topic.

So obviously, they knew that once Jesus predicted the future, the event was inevitable, and as such, there was nothing they could do.

:)

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Of course the real answer is that's just how they decided to write the story. In the context of the story though, the reason Jesus was born was so he could be executed as a sacrifice; the disciples had to know that on some level. In fulfilling the grand purpose, Judas was as important as Jesus in the plot line and I don't know why everyone gets so pissy about his "betrayal."

• Like 2

Of course the real answer is that's just how they decided to write the story. In the context of the story though, the reason Jesus was born was so he could be executed as a sacrifice; the disciples had to know that on some level. In fulfilling the grand purpose, Judas was as important as Jesus in the plot line and I don't know why everyone gets so pissy about his "betrayal."

+1

Didn't they find the Gospel of Judas? They just didn't put it in the story book?

ok,,,,

my view is,,,, jesus said that, but then again, everybody has dipped the cheese stick in the gravy before.... so anyone's guess

So, once the disciples heard that one of them would betray Jesus, and what action would point out the perpetrator(which turned out as we all know turned out to be Judas), I have to ask this question. Why, oh why didn't the other disciples jump on Judas to keep him from betraying Jesus? They could have also interrogated him so they could find out what the pharisees and romans had planned, and they could have smuggled Jesus to a safe house.

Why didn't "jesus" just magically give him the squirts and keep him from betraying him? Why not order a bear to come rip him to pieces (even though he didn't mock him for being bald)?

They're students not bodyguards. And not very good students for that matter.

mwc

Because in context, the disciples in the gospels were boneheads and never understood what the hell Jesus was saying. Given that he was always talking in metaphors for him to all of a sudden say something literal, like "the one who dips his bread in the wine will betray me," must have been really weird. They may have been looking for the deeper meaning in his statement when for a change he actually meant what he said.

And the meaning may have been hidden because the stories are meant to show that it only makes sense in retrospect, i.e. Jesus has to die for any of the stuff he says to make sense.

And if there is any historicity to the gospel stories at all, it may be someone's dim remembrance of that night transformed into a prophecy. "Yeah, remember when Jesus said someone would betray him? And Judas was the first to dip his bread? Yeah I sort of remember Jesus prophesying that."

According to John 17:12, Judas was doomed to destruction so that scripture (Psa 41:9) would be fulfilled.

It's another one of those amazing fulfillment episodes that the New Testament is famous for.

The outcome was already certain and nobody could stop it.

It was probably more of a question of "Hey guys who gets to betray me? I need one of you to betray me so that I can be strung up on the cross and then rescued by God just before I die." So it came down to a bit of a drawing of straws, in the form of dipping bread in water. It was Judas who drew the short straw. And of course Jesus expected God to rescue him on the cross which is why he cried out "My God, my God, why have your forsaken me?"

Another question I have is why did Thomas doubt Jesus? Surely if Jesus was all he was cracked up to be then Thomas would have been expecting him. He would have been saying "Hey Jesus, it's about time you showed up. What took you so long?" But no, instead we have a man who can't believe that Jesus has actually been resurrected. Very dubious considering Jesus was supposed to have performed all these amazing miracles. If a desciple can doubt Jesus's divinity, why should we - people who have never even rubbed shoulders with Jesus, believe he was the son of God?

Why did the authorities even need Judas to betray Jesus? They had Roman freaking soldiers on their side! Romans arrested and executed Jews at the drop of a hat. Was Jesus hiding? Not according to the story in the Bible. He was traveling in public with people waving palms at him. Did he have armed guards? According to the Bible, Peter had a knife that was big enough to Van Gogh someone's ear off, but nothing else is mentioned. So if he wasn't hiding and didn't have an army or a militia, why would you need to pay off someone close to him?