Goodbye Jesus

Pat Robertson: You Can Divorce A Wife With Alzheimers

Suzy

You gotta love fundie hypocrisy and inconsistency. I wonder if he'd give the same advice if it would be the other way around and the man would be the one with Alzheimers and the wife would be the one wanting to leave him...

Whatever happened to 'in sickness and in health?'

Whatever happened to 'in sickness and in health?'

That only counts if the man gets sick and then it's the woman's job to care for the husband. Or at least that's what Pat might say.

• Super Moderator

I'm surprised that old nut job still has any followers. He's grown into a mean spirited buffoon.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that old nut job still has any followers. He's grown into a mean spirited buffoon.

There are plenty of mean-spirited buffoons out there to follow him.

• Like 2

If you forget about jesus, does that make you a blasphemer? Do you then go to hell because of something God inflicted you with? What about it, rev? No answer?

If you forget about jesus, does that make you a blasphemer? Do you then go to hell because of something God inflicted you with? What about it, rev? No answer?

The case of Phineas Gage always troubled me in the back of my mind when I was a believer. He was the 19th century railroad worker who got a flying steel rod through his skull in an explosion. He went from a gentle, god-fearing teetotaler to a hard-drinking, hard fighting son of a gun pretty much as soon as he woke up afterwards, and also started cussing a blue streak, something he hadn't done before. The accident changed his whole personality instantaneously--faith included--because he got punched through the brain.

Does faith in God hang on such a slender neurological thread?

And in the "grounds for divorce" part of the grant/decree, the judge can now comfortably write:

"irreconcilable brain function differences"

And another New Testament promise fails with his answer.

The sick woman is supposed to be healed, there's no need for divorce.

James 5:14-15(NLT)

Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord.

Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.

So Robertson is admitting there aren't any Christians(including himself) with enough faith to heal someone these days.

Robertson also contradicts Jesus.

Matt 19:9(NLT)

And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery—unless his wife has been unfaithful.

Vomit, I'm taking psych 101 and I just read about Phineas Gage a few days ago. The incident provided a lot of information on the functions of the frontal lobe before MRIs and PET scans. My book didn't mention his faith but I know he lost his job and spent the rest of his life as a circus sideshow attraction. He was only 25.

Yeah, I'd like to see what some apologists would pull to explain that one. Tragic story.