Goodbye Jesus

Head's Up!

bornagainathiest

Look forward to it!

Just to add, anyone with an internet connection and an interest can help to analyze Kepler data!

From the above link:

Enthusiasm from the public about the search for alien planets has also generated profound results powered by the Kepler data. The popularity of sites like the Planet Hunters (http://www.planethunters.org), which enlists the help of citizen scientists to identify planet candidates in the Kepler data, demonstrates the groundswell of broad public interest in exoplanet research. Since its launch in December 2010 this website has been used by 40,000 "planet hunters" worldwide to analyze more than 3.5 million observations, netting 69 potential candidates, all from their web browsers.

I have an application that reports when new exoplanets have been discovered, and lately, there has been a huge amount of planets added to the list.

Looking forward to the report tomorrow.

Here's some food for thought, you guys.

Copernicus and Galileo displaced the Earth from the center of the cosmos by showing that it moves and orbits the Sun. This slow, gradual process of displacement has been happening with gathering pace in the following centuries. Though the Christian church has tried every trick in the book to keep Man and the Earth as special and central to the whole shebang, science keeps on demonstrating that this is not so.

The Rare Earth Hypothesis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis ) was eagerly seized upon by Christian apologists as either a strong indication of or even proof of the Earth's (and therefore Man's) special and favored status. Today's Kepler update will be another incremental step in overturning that parochial notion. It's a matter of personal belief on my part that we humans are on the brink of a super-Copernican revolution. Just as the Earth was displaced from it's central place in the universe by Copernicus, Galileo, et al, so we will soon discover that there are many, many 'Earths' out there. Ours is nothing special and we are nothing special.

In a similar way, analysis of the Cosmic Microwave Background data provided by the Planck spacecraft ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_(spacecraft) ) may well indicate the 'fossil' imprint of other universes that were in contact with ours during the earliest stages of the Big Bang event. If this is so, then it will indicate that ours is not the only universe - there are others, possibly many others. So, once again, science will have 'displaced' man from his coveted and selfish central role in the grand scheme of things.

I am just sooooooooooooooooglad to be living at a time when hard evidence will displace superstition and ignorance. :)

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

It's a matter of personal belief on my part that we humans are on the brink of a super-Copernican revolution. Just as the Earth was displaced from it's central place in the universe by Copernicus, Galileo, et al, so we will soon discover that there are many, many 'Earths' out there. Ours is nothing special and we are nothing special.

In a similar way, analysis of the Cosmic Microwave Background data provided by the Planck spacecraft ( http://en.wikipedia....nck_(spacecraft) ) may well indicate the 'fossil' imprint of other universes that were in contact with ours during the earliest stages of the Big Bang event. If this is so, then it will indicate that ours is not the only universe - there are others, possibly many others. So, once again, science will have 'displaced' man from his coveted and selfish central role in the grand scheme of things.

I am just sooooooooooooooooglad to be living at a time when hard evidence will displace superstition and ignorance. :)

Thanks,

BAA.

Such an exciting time! I completely agree with you here...