Goodbye Jesus

I Am An Athiest - Who Can't Do Math

Mike D

I'll admit I'm no good at math either, but how could the answer not be 10 cents? IF the bat and ball together is $1.10 and the bat is a $1 more than the ball... Somehow it makes no sense that the ball is not 10 cents. Seems anything else is just plain bogus. However, if you are buying the bat and ball together for $1.10, then you paid 55 cents ea for them. So if the bat is a dollar more than the ball, if bought separately, you're getting jipped. Highway robbery.

$1.00 - .10 = .90. So if the bat costs a dollar, and the ball costs ten cents, then the bat is only ninety cents more than the ball, not a dollar. In order for the bat to be a dollar more than the ball and for it to come out to $1.10, the bat has to be $1.05 and the ball has to be .05.

The key word in this problem is more The bat costs a dollar more than the ball.

I suffer from the same problem as Mike here. Even your explanation confuses me and I just can't work it out. I've always known I had a hole in my brain when it comes to these types of problems though. Something of a math dyslexia.

What I know is despite the fact that it is math, it is unrelated to logic. Logic comes easy to me but performing algebra is like pulling teeth. My father and my brother are very mechanically oriented and can do algebra quite easily yet I quite easily notice logical inconsistencies they just can't see and seem to be able to connect the dots they just can't keep track of.

This makes me think this is a poor atheism determinant test. It doesn't measure the part of the brain that works out the same types of problems that relate to the more philosophical god question.

Math is more tied to logic than anything. It's simply expressed in a language some might not process well.

Y'all should be glad you don't have to integrals with parts and hyperbolic inverse trig functions...

Sounds like you're in Calc III right now? I actually enjoyed math up through that class

Just wait 'til differential equations. That's where I surpassed my 'enjoyment' level. :banghead:

I could probably take just about any undergraduate level math class and do just fine if I was interested... but with differential equations I found just how UNinterested I am in math once it gets beyond a certain point.

Really? I LOVE Differential Equations!! I Especially liked the electronic applications. We're into Laplace transforms right now.

I'll admit I'm no good at math either, but how could the answer not be 10 cents? IF the bat and ball together is $1.10 and the bat is a $1 more than the ball... Somehow it makes no sense that the ball is not 10 cents. Seems anything else is just plain bogus. However, if you are buying the bat and ball together for $1.10, then you paid 55 cents ea for them. So if the bat is a dollar more than the ball, if bought separately, you're getting jipped. Highway robbery.

$1.00 - .10 = .90. So if the bat costs a dollar, and the ball costs ten cents, then the bat is only ninety cents more than the ball, not a dollar. In order for the bat to be a dollar more than the ball and for it to come out to $1.10, the bat has to be $1.05 and the ball has to be .05.

I suffer from the same problem as Mike here. Even your explanation confuses me and I just can't work it out. I've always known I had a hole in my brain when it comes to these types of problems though. Something of a math dyslexia.

What I know is despite the fact that it is math, it is unrelated to logic. Logic comes easy to me but performing algebra is like pulling teeth. My father and my brother are very mechanically oriented and can do algebra quite easily yet I quite easily notice logical inconsistencies they just can't see and seem to be able to connect the dots they just can't keep track of.

This makes me think this is a poor atheism determinant test. It doesn't measure the part of the brain that works out the same types of problems that relate to the more philosophical god question.

Math is more tied to logic than anything. It's simply expressed in a language some might not process well.

This has nothing to do with logic, but an actual form of dyslexia.

^^ but what we all REALLY want to know is, "can you do hair?"

Of course I can do my hair- I'm female! Not only that, but I don't have a choice in the matter- I have long hair, and natural ringlets. If I don't brush for a day, well, lets just say the tears start :/

This has nothing to do with logic, but an actual form of dyslexia.

I was responding specifically to "What I know is despite the fact that it is math, it is unrelated to logic." Perhaps I may have misunderstood him. In any case, Vigil has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he is very intelligent, and I don't doubt his intelligence, even if he may have a bit of trouble with math.

Higher math requires a lot of intuition and not just logic. It becomes more an art than a process of techniques.

Of course I can do my hair- I'm female! Not only that, but I don't have a choice in the matter- I have long hair, and natural ringlets. If I don't brush for a day, well, lets just say the tears start :/

"doing hair" means dressing other peoples. One's own hair is a given

Solve this, my fellow ex-christians.

A captain and his ship are 56 years of age together. The captain is twice as old as the ship used to be when the captain was as old as the ship is now. How old is the ship, and how old is the captain?

It was a riddle my father passed on to me. Even after getting through the linguistic part of the riddle, it is not very easy to solve for laymen.

Y'all should be glad you don't have to integrals with parts and hyperbolic inverse trig functions...

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics I am sure mine are greater" - Einstein

Likewise, i miss when the biggest difficulty in my life was learning different methods on integration :X

"doing hair" means dressing other peoples. One's own hair is a given

lol well, of course I can do hair :) not many chicks haven't practiced extensively on their dolls and friends' hair :)

• 2 weeks later...

Solve this, my fellow ex-christians.

A captain and his ship are 56 years of age together. The captain is twice as old as the ship used to be when the captain was as old as the ship is now. How old is the ship, and how old is the captain?

It was a riddle my father passed on to me. Even after getting through the linguistic part of the riddle, it is not very easy to solve for laymen.

The equalities were easy enough to put in mathematical form, but I admit that from that point I just guessed to see which numbers fit (highlight to see the answer below):

The captain is 32, and the ship is 24. The ship was 16 when the captain was 24. Thus, the captain is now twice as old (32) as the ship used to be (16) when the captain was the age that the ship is now (24). Phew!