What Is This Guy Trying To Say?

LGMR

I was listening to The Bible Geek the other day and someone wrote in and talked about this site:

http://firmament-theresolve.com/

I read the site, but I can't really understand what the hell this guy is trying to say. He just makes a ton of assertions no evidence other than the bible (His interpretation of course.)... What is he trying to say he firmament is? I couldn't even follow it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Oh, and BTW, crows have a primitive "language", which shoots down half of his argument.

http://www.crows.net/language.html

• Super Moderator

The ramblings are so bizarre, Poe's Law springs to mind.

It also reminds me of Professor Irwin Corey:

Professor Irwin Corey:

However... accept this financial stipulation - ah - stipend in behalf of, uh, Richard Python for the great contribution and to quote from some of the missiles which he has contributed...Today we must all be aware that protocol takes precedence over procedure. Howewer you say - WHAT THE - what does this mean... in relation to the tabulation whereby we must once again realize that the great fiction story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the Nixon administration... indicating that only an American writer can receive...the award for fction, unlike Solzinitski whose fiction doesn't hold water. Comrades - friends, we are gathered here not only to accept in behalf of one recluse - one who has found that the world in itself which seems to be a time not of the toad - to quote even Studs TurKAL. And many people ask "Who are Studs TurKAL?" It's not "Who are Studs TurKAL?" it's "Who am Studs TurKAL?" This in itself as an edifice of the great glory that has gone beyond, and the intuitive feeling of the American people, based on the assumption that the intelligence not only as Mencken once said, "He who underestimates the American pubic - public, will not go broke." This is merely a small indication of this vast throng gathered here to once again behold and to perceive that which has gone behind and to that which might go forward into the future...we've got to hurdle these obstacles. This is the main deterrent upon which we have gathered our strength and all the others who say, "What the hell did that get?" - We don't know. We've got to peforce withold the loving boy... And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he ... that language is only necessary when communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said "It is not the lack of communication but fear of communication." That's what the Goddamn thing is it's we fear - communication. Oh - fortunately the prize has only been given to authors - unlike the Academy Award which is given to a female and a male, indicating the derision of the human specie - God damn it! But we have no paranoia, and Mr. Pynchon has attained, and has created for himself serenity, and it is only the insanity that has kept him alive in his paranoia. We speak of the organ...of the orgasm...Who the hell wrote this? And the jury has determined to divide the prize between two writers - to Thomas Pynchon for his GRAVITY'S RAINBOW. Now GRAVITY'S RAINBOW is a token of this man's genius...he told me so himself...that he could...in other words, have been more specific, but rather than to allude the mundane, he has come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our shallow existence. God damn. Ladies and Gentlemen. To the distinguished panel on the, on the dais and to the other winners, for poetry and religion and science. The time will come when religion will outlive its usefulness. Marx, Groucho Marx, once said that religion is the opiate of the people. I say that when religion outlives its usefulness, then opium...will be the opiate...Ahh that's not a bad idea... All right...However, I want to thank Mr. Guinzburg, Tom Guinzburg of the Viking Press, who has made it possible for you people to be here this evening to enjoy the Friction Citation - the Fiction Citation. GRAVITY'S RAINBOW - a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over three and a half billion people in the world today. 218 of them ... million live in the United States which is a very, very small amount compared to those that are dying elsewhere...Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where sex is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality, it's not easy to conform if you have any morality...I, I, I said that myself many years ago...But I do want to thank the bureau...I mean the committee, the organization for the $10,000 they've given out...tonight they made over $400,000 and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, I want to thank Mr. TurKAL. I want to thank Mr. Knopf who just ran through the auditorium* and I want to thank Breshnev, Kissinger - acting President of the Unites States - and also want to thank Truman Capote and thank you.

That was delicious, florduh. It's been a long time since I've been flattened, I, I, flattered into following the severe sharp points of articulation of the human joints of communication so deliberately fumi -fulmi furthered by the inimitatable Professor Irwin Corey.

• Super Moderator

It is so remarkable to entertain some so, though not effectively, understanding and jovial, yet understated remembrance or possibly enumeration of such a voluminous and livid mentality or mental musings of one so closely removed, or even present, in the current pantheon of comedic articulations. I thank you, and I thank anyone who, in appearance or not, even looks like you.

That was pretty funny. I think I understand what's trying to be said, it's all BS though. One of his "sources" (Doug Cox, a YEC) doesn't even agree with him. Cox says that, get this, Greeks edited the bible to change it's cosmology to match Greek thought, and frimament refers to the earth's crust (His source: Daniel!)... Whatever. His "proof" is poorly stitching bible verses together to try and get them to say that. He has no training in Hebrew, no manuscript evidence. (Although I do think the tanakh was rewritten many times for other reasons.) One day, I'll learn Hebrew just to have the knowledge to instantly disprove people like this. (Working on Greek now. I want to beat apologists at their own game, and since many don't actually know ether Greek or Hebrew, knowing both would give me a huge advantage, as well as letting me be able to read the bible without translators trying to smooth over the errors.)

On a side note, other humans besides us could speak. Neanderthals have the same speaking genes we do, and I think homo erectius had some kind of speech, although don't quote me on that. His analogy of a child raised in isolation is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Early pre-humans had each other to learn from. We're "social" animals. We learn by copying others.

...parts of it are actually sensical.

I think you were Catholic way too long :HaHa:

Hey now, I'm not saying that any of it is right. I'm just saying that individual sentences make sense (though still not grammatically) when you make the switch. Like (paraphrased): "The Earth, being covered in molten rock, could not sustain life." Also, the part about that ridiculus firmament gets changed into an awesome image of the moon being split from the proto-Earth.

Meh, gave me an excuse to bring up the moon thing. The giant impact hypothesis makes for awesome mental images. Not as many Google images as I hoped for, but there are still some good ones.

• 3 weeks later...

"And many people ask "Who are Studs TurKAL?" It's not "Who are Studs TurKAL?" it's "Who am Studs TurKAL?" This in itself as an edifice of the great glory that has gone beyond, and the intuitive feeling of the American people, based on the assumption that the intelligence not only as Mencken once said, "He who underestimates the American pubic - public, will not go broke."

OMG!

Ahahahahah, What THE. HELL?

Better yet, What AM hell?

I was listening to The Bible Geek the other day and someone wrote in and talked about this site:

http://firmament-theresolve.com/

I read the site, but I can't really understand what the hell this guy is trying to say. He just makes a ton of assertions no evidence other than the bible (His interpretation of course.)... What is he trying to say he firmament is? I couldn't even follow it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Oh, and BTW, crows have a primitive "language", which shoots down half of his argument.

http://www.crows.net/language.html

The author says:

"Being understood by the things that are made as it were should be clearly seen but are clearly not."

HAHAHahahahahah. WHAT the Fuck? or What AM fuck?

• 3 weeks later...

The Genesis creation account comes from Egyptian mythology. That starts off with a river (Nile?) and out of it comes the firmament (a rock) which divides the waters. The first god (both male and female) comes from that and then makes gods and later people.

The Hebrew word raqiya means an expanse but is translated as "firmament", etc.

Naturally with a river, you can have upstream and downstream.

The story, made from two different accounts (see Gen 1 and 2) is ridiculous anyway.