Goodbye Jesus

Criminals Can Choose Between Jail And Church

SillyString

Criminals in a small Alabama town now have the choice between the house of corrections and the house of God. It's part of Operation Restore Our Community in Bay Minette. Starting today, the town will offer nonviolent first-offenders a get-out-of-jail card if they go to church every Sunday for a year. Prisoners in the program will also have to write about each service. According to Bay Minette's police Chief Mike Rowland, the hope is that prisoners will turn into "productive citizens." But does this cross the line between church and state? The police claim it doesn't because prisoners can choose whether they want to participate and, if so, where to worship. But the American Civil Liberties Union thinks otherwise. It calls the operation "blatantly unconstitutional," and for the most part social media agree. Some are wondering how this could be legal. @AddInfoOrg says it's a "breathtaking assault on the First Amendment." But there are supporters. On Facebook, Lisa Hillesland called it "A great way to save taxpayer money." What do you think of the program?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/prisoners-choose-between-jail-church-overwhelming-response-one-153857999.html

Most definitely religious promotion by the government and a breach of the first amendment.

Not only is this a breach of the constitution, it is amazingly moronic to think this will make a difference....

Sounds to me like they are least acknowledging that going to church is a form of punishment... :shrug:

• Like 8

It's a blatant violation; it coerces non-violents who don't want to get shanked in the shower into attending religious services. The town is big enough for a small airport, so it must be big enough for normal community service projects.

Force the hardened criminals into religion, they deserve it. Making a pot smoker go to church is just wrong. And he can't even get high before the service because of drug testiong. That's just mean.

Why not closed down police force, and close all legal courts. This can save more taxpayer's money.

• Like 1

Force the hardened criminals into religion, they deserve it. Making a pot smoker go to church is just wrong. And he can't even get high before the service because of drug testing. That's just mean.

Yes, but it's not so bad as it would have been just a few years ago. These days, one can purchase synthetic marijuana over the Internet that doesn't show up in drug testing and is completely legal (in most states). Truly, we are living in a wonderful era.

:rolleyes:

Constitutional violations aside, the way they overprosecute these days, I'm happy to see people getting a break from jail, assuming this isn't violent crime we are discussing.

It's funny because it isn't really an establishment of one religion over another -- hence the comment in the article regarding the absence of mosques and synogogues in the area.

I spent over 40 years in church. I think I would rather go to jail. At least in jail I get fed and get to watch television too.

Force the hardened criminals into religion, they deserve it. Making a pot smoker go to church is just wrong. And he can't even get high before the service because of drug testiong. That's just mean.

Why would anyone want to waste a good buzz on church? I think that would just increase the suction, like getting high and listening to Barry Manilow.

Force the hardened criminals into religion, they deserve it. Making a pot smoker go to church is just wrong. And he can't even get high before the service because of drug testing. That's just mean.

Yes, but it's not so bad as it would have been just a few years ago. These days, one can purchase synthetic marijuana over the Internet that doesn't show up in drug testing and is completely legal (in most states). Truly, we are living in a wonderful era.

:rolleyes:

Got any links?

Penitentiaries started being called that after the Penitentiary act. Basically, people were supposed to work hard all day then go back to their cell to reflect (religiously) on what they did wrong. This would help turn them into better people and citizens. It's the basic model for our current prisons (I guess it beats death but maybe not exile which were the popular choices of the day...you may have just rotted in prison too but it was different then).

It's good to know that failed ideas die hard.

mwc

Why would anyone want to waste a good buzz on church? I think that would just increase the suction, like getting high and listening to Barry Manilow.

Pot makes things more fun and the person that smokes it more tolerant, so I assume it would make church tolerable. But I would go to the craziest church I could find, just to trip out on it..

Maybe they feel that too many 'good Christians' are going to jail, and need a break from the psychotic, social, laws. But screw atheists...

I would say, put me in jail. I'D get free rent, free food, free health-care, and lots of good friends.

Definitely a violation of the First Amendment. If I was in that situation, I would overwhelmingly chose to sit in jail.

Yeah this really makes one wonder.

Can you imagine if the option were to attend a mosque or something? :wicked::twitch:

I can't imagine this will last long, it makes me embarrassed to be an American and have crap like this happen.

Church is fine with me. I can play on my phone the entire time. Fuck jail, man. Ya'll are crazy.

Middle way, bros. Middle way.

Church is fine with me. I can play on my phone the entire time. Fuck jail, man. Ya'll are crazy.

I agree, given the choice, I'd pick church every time. I'd make the best of it too, spending my time writing blasphemy in the hymn books, filing out secret prayer requests asking prayer circles to pray to help me overcome impotence, latent homosexuality and my attraction for my neighbor's goat. Given enough time in the pew, I could absolutely top these with far more outrageous antics.

All of this would be far superior to sleeping with one eye open on a lumpy jail mattress and having to take a shit in a room full of other people.

• Like 1

Agreed, my girlfriend is a psychologist at the local prison...you don't want to go there. Church is gravy compared to that. I'd rather sing homoerotic songs to Jeebus over having my throat slit with a razor blade, which happens.

H

Agreed, my girlfriend is a psychologist at the local prison...you don't want to go there. Church is gravy compared to that. I'd rather sing homoerotic songs to Jeebus over having my throat slit with a razor blade, which happens.

For some reason that makes getting busted even more scarier.