God's Wisdom

I just saw this on the church billboard at the top of my street this afternoon......''God's wisdom and his 'answer's - are much wiser than our prayers.''

I really believed this when I was a believer. I remember 14 years ago, praying to god for my mobile home to sell really fast so I could move home, (after being away for 3 years) and spend the rest of my life living next door to my sister who was only 11 months younger than me. We were best friends. We couldn't bear to be separated anymore and we were both sooooooo excited that I was finally moving back home.........

A few days later I got the dreaded phone call that my only sister died of a brain aneurysm.

I actually remember, during the most intense grief I have ever been through, trying to make sense of her death and what 'good'....... 'god' would bring out of this. Trying one more time to figure out 'his' wisdom and why he would allow my beautiful sister to die at 40 years old. What a pile of crock.......................

What's the worst prayer answer you ever got .....through his 'so called' wisdom?

Never was much of a prayer, and if stuff happened I never really thought god did it, more that it was good luck or good management. I realised early on that god didn't give made to order requests when I begged for him to tak away my debilitating depression. He was about as useful as my real parents. Not very. All things work together for good my ass.

• Like 1

Growing up my best friend, Kevin, and his dad, Aaron, were driving to Seattle through Snoqualmie Pass. Luckily, my friend at the time was asleep but there was this motorcycle ahead of them, a male driver and his girlfriend riding and they both turned back to look at the mountains as they crested a hill. He accidentally drifted into the other lane and hit a semi head on. The girlfriend got trapped in the grill and died hanging there. Aaron quickly pulled over and rushed out to help along with a few other motorists. Everyone kept looking for the male motorcyclist but couldn't find him. Finally, Aaron bent down and checked the underside of the semi to find the boyfriend wrapped up in one of the rear axles. The truck driver was vomiting and weeping on the side of the road.

Maybe God had a lot of sparrows to look after that day...KatieHmm.gif

• Like 1

Hey, Margee. Here's one of my "unpublished rants".

A loving, heavenly Father is supposed to make everything work out for the good. Romans 8:28, Jeremiah 29:11. I have known of two entire families (both of them Christian) wiped out - one family by fire; another by water, except for the husband, who then couldn't live with himself, as he blamed himself for the accident, and subsequently committed suicide, with a Bible on the car seat beside him as the exhaust fumes killed him. I mourned while trying to understand his feelings of meshing life as it suddenly existed for him against the Christian view of life. It seems ridiculous that God intends for us to concoct a good spin on circumstances such as these. To me, the idea of a all-powerful, loving heavenly Father God is completely incompatable with life.

The family who died in the house fire was a family that I used to go to church with. They had four kids - the youngest being only a few months old, and they buried all six of them in two caskets. Then I went to Christian school with the wife of the husband who committed suicide. I don't remember her as she was only in fourth grade while I was a senior. They had an auto accident, ending up in a pond. The husband was the only one that made it out of that, but thanks to "Christian psychology" - just "trust God after you bury your wife and two kids, while I return home to my intact family", "He seemed to be doing so well." Yeah, no s---! He had obviously decided to kill himself.

Two boys that I went to school with also died in a drowning accident. When the word was starting to reach us, we didn't know at that point who had died, as there were 11 children in the family. I remember praying that the two who died would be two that were ready to meet God. It seems odd now that I would pray something like that, because there could be no changing the two dead people at that point. And, it turned out, that the two dead boys were ones that we believed were ready. So...I guess my prayer was answered.

• Like 1

I'm just sitting here this morning ready to 'rant' at these very sad stories. The last nine months of participating on this site with you all, I have worked my way through the anger of there being no god. Actually, I have said that life makes way more sense to me without god. Now I find myself going through a different type of anger.... at the world. The mistakes we make as humans, the stupidity, the money system, the wars, the politics, the institutions, the rapes, murders, abuse, suffering, prejudice, etc...............

And like somebody already said: ''He must have had some other 'sparrows' to take care of''.................

Just a little personal stuff........ I have have gone part time in my work, because of a car accident that I had back in April. I didn't talk about it much in the last 5 months.. because I already cause enough 'drama' on this site.....Anyway, I have been suffering back problems for 5 months. It has been awful.The whole summer was doctors, physio, gyms........... And now, there are more about 3 other personal things also going on, that I could scream about. One would be that my step dad has lung cancer, and I'll have to watch him die now.............Sometimes, the suffering doesn't end. One thing after another. I hear this from so many other people!!

When I seen that 'billboard' yesterday, I wanted to take a can of black spray paint and cover the whole damn message up.......

I know, I know, I need to relax......and trust the invisible sky god..........that his 'wisdom' and answers, are better than my prayer.........:beg:

the worst prayer answer i actualy got was not a answer at all but pure relentles silence.

reminds me of edgar allen poes poem "the raven" though i keep crying out at god i keep getting that single answer "nevermore"

• Like 1

trying to make sense of her death and what 'good'....... 'god' would bring out of this.

This is stuff that really disgusts me if indeed God is real. In fact, I find it easier to understand tragic events without the God factor. If there is a God and He allows these things to happen, then he truly is on par with the concept of Satan.

The worst prayer answer I got may have been when I started questioning Christianity. The only prayer I ever uttered for about 2 months was "God if you're real, I really need You to show me because I'm hanging on by a thread." I didn't get an answer. The heavens were silent.

He basically shot Himself in the foot, because here I am!

• Like 2

Now I find myself going through a different type of anger.... at the world.

You're just adjusting to life as it actually is. Sorry you have to go through it, and yet ... ultimately it's better to deal in reality because at least you're then responding to real events, not hoped-for ones or fanciful interpretations on top of them.

The whole summer was doctors, physio, gyms........... And now, there are more about 3 other personal things also going on, that I could scream about. One would be that my step dad has lung cancer, and I'll have to watch him die now.............Sometimes, the suffering doesn't end. One thing after another. I hear this from so many other people!!

I hear you, Margee. I told my fiancee this morning I've spent much of my life waiting for everything to Just Be Okay so I felt like I had a solid basis to reach out in life and do other things. I have this need to know that first things are handled first. Alas, it's never happened and it's never going to. I have to somehow develop broader interests and activities and tend to prosaic matters like excelling in my profession even while knowing that my son is struggling with x, her son is struggling with y and z, our respective daughters are being dipshits toward us and while my fiancee herself is dealing with a,b and c. How do you make plans when it feels like the wheels could come flying off the train at any moment? It's like swimming uphill through Jell-O.

But ... alas, it is what it is. I think it's the same for us all, it's just that most people have all this crazy shit priced in already. I never did and don't know how to. It's insane.

You're just adjusting to life as it actually is. Sorry you have to go through it, and yet ... ultimately it's better to deal in reality because at least you're then responding to real events, not hoped-for ones or fanciful interpretations on top of them.

The whole summer was doctors, physio, gyms........... And now, there are more about 3 other personal things also going on, that I could scream about. One would be that my step dad has lung cancer, and I'll have to watch him die now.............Sometimes, the suffering doesn't end. One thing after another. I hear this from so many other people!!

I hear you, Margee. I told my fiancee this morning I've spent much of my life waiting for everything to Just Be Okay so I felt like I had a solid basis to reach out in life and do other things. I have this need to know that first things are handled first. It's like swimming uphill through Jell-O.

But ... alas, it is what it is. ......... I think it's the same for us all..... It's insane.

Thanks for the acknowledgment Bob. I really relate to you!

I hear you, Margee. I told my fiancee this morning I've spent much of my life waiting for everything to Just Be Okay so I felt like I had a solid basis to reach out in life and do other things. I have this need to know that first things are handled first. It's like swimming uphill through Jell-O.

But ... alas, it is what it is. ......... I think it's the same for us all..... It's insane.

Thanks for the acknowledgment Bob. I really relate to you!

life-not-fair.jpg

life-not-fair.jpg

Well thanks Margee. Doing my best to get used to it. It's helpful to see the struggle isn't unique to me, even if I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and hate to see others obliged to deal with it.

Unlike you, the way most people respond to a whiff of frustration in someone else, reminds me of a sign I saw hanging on a union shop steward's wall years ago, when I occasionally made ends meet by driving truck on Friday nights:

When the world seems too much

And you want to quit

Don't run to me ...

I don't give a shit!

I have always taken that to heart. Most people can't handle it because it forces them to look at the same issues in themselves and most people would rather pretend Everything's Fine. Either that or they are overwhelmed with their own problems and have nothing left over to give to anyone else, not even a bit of camaraderie.

Thanks for listening :-)

--Bob

life-not-fair.jpg

Well thanks Margee. Doing my best to get used to it. It's helpful to see the struggle isn't unique to me, even if I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and hate to see others obliged to deal with it.

Unlike you, the way most people respond to a whiff of frustration in someone else, reminds me of a sign I saw hanging on a union shop steward's wall years ago, when I occasionally made ends meet by driving truck on Friday nights:

When the world seems too much

And you want to quit

Don't run to me ...

I don't give a shit!

I have always taken that to heart. Most people can't handle it because it forces them to look at the same issues in themselves and most people would rather pretend Everything's Fine. Either that or they are overwhelmed with their own problems and have nothing left over to give to anyone else, not even a bit of camaraderie.

Thanks for listening :-)

--Bob

I guess the sharing of similar problems with others has always helped me and actually, it doesn't make me feel so all alone either.. I know sometimes I don't have the energy left over to help someone - like the sigh says;'' Caution, Life's not fair - get used to it''!! That's what ya really wanna say sometimes, but you and many others who take the time out to respond to me and my dilemmas - it is soooooo appreciated. You are one who always does this for me. Thank you Bob.