Goodbye Jesus

Review Of The Greatest Show On Earth

Igakusei

One of my creationist friends recently finished reading Dawkins' TGSoE, and posted a lengthy review of his thoughts on Amazon. While I obviously don't agree with his conclusions, it's refreshing to see that he is at least putting some serious thought into it. I'm a medical student, but my knowledge of evolutionary biology is mostly limited to two classes in undergrad and a few of the books that he has also probably read, so I thought that some of you guys might be better equipped than me to tackle some of his reservations. I'll certainly have plenty to say myself when I have more time, but have at it yourselves if you'd like.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RBDC1IDXA3U0B

Just considering the amount of time he put into the review, please be respectful if you're going to comment. He reacts better to calm, rational arguments than to people yelling at him for being stupid.

Your friend seems very intelligent. Reminds me of myself during high school biology. Teacher would mention things like vestigial organs and show the ways in which we were related to the animal world, but my mind just wasn't ready to understand. I was still beginning with the understanding that the bible was right and I had to figure out why god did it the way he did. I don't think anyone's going to talk him out of it. If he wants informaiton bad enough he'll keep looking and maybe someday all the pieces will fit.

Your friend would benefit from taking a class in physical/biological anthropology.

And he could perhaps do some searches for research before stating his flawed views of how evolution works.

Genetic variation in dogs: http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/94/1/81.full

And he obviously completely misses the point of the section about artificial selection in dogs and how that leads into the next chapter.

My impression of his review is that he didn't read the book, but rather just skimmed through it. Especially considering the argument about the tree of life... :Doh:

to many theist think science is a theology but it isnt, its a measurment.

• Like 1