Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Do Better

Ro-bear

It's easy to think of things you did better when you were younger, but it is also rather depressing. Perhaps it would improve our outlooks if we were to celebrate the little things we do better as, well, mature folk. I'll begin:

I float better now.

When I was young, I sank like a rock in fresh water (unless I treaded) and barely floated in salt water. Now, in an Open Water scenario, I could perhaps float long enough to die of heatstroke or dehydration. I see that as a tangible improvement.

Now, don't be shy, you know you want to share what you are better at now that you are...less young. :wicked:

sex!

• Like 2

I sing much better, have a ton more confidence in dealing with people, and generally have a much better time with life.

I seem to deal with social situations better in my old age.

I also seem to have a greater curiosity for knowledge. I seem to take longer to learn, but I also have more patience.

I'm sure there's more, I'll come back when I think of more.

• Super Moderator

I know it was something, but I can't remember.

• Like 2

I'm better at threading a needle. In fact, I am better at all close work. I have become so nearsighted I have to--that is, I am able to--hold the needle and thread very close to my bare eye. At this range, it's like Fantastic Voyage or something; that needle eye looks big enough for something big to pass through it, maybe even something as big as a camel! Well, the thread end is pretty damn easy anyway. When I was younger, it might take me twenty freakin' tries. Now I'm in like Flynn with one stroke. In my present optimistic strain, I call that progress.

• Like 2

Okay, I'll bite, but be careful what you ask for :-)

I am better at cutting through bullshit.

I am better at dealing in reality.

I am better at having boundaries.

I am better at giving good advice. Just today my stepson asked for advice about changing his major and his mother actually agreed with my response. When a woman can't second guess your judgment it must be pretty good. Either that or you are finally well and truly housebroken. Either way it works for me.

• Like 2

I'm better at threading a needle. In fact, I am better at all close work. I have become so nearsighted I have to--that is, I am able to--hold the needle and thread very close to my bare eye. At this range, it's like Fantastic Voyage or something; that needle eye looks big enough for something big to pass through it, maybe even something as big as a camel! Well, the thread end is pretty damn easy anyway. When I was younger, it might take me twenty freakin' tries. Now I'm in like Flynn with one stroke. In my present optimistic strain, I call that progress.

Ro-bear, :lmao: I really needed that laugh this morning - thank you!!

I am better at giving good advice. Just today my stepson asked for advice about changing his major and his mother actually agreed with my response. When a woman can't second guess your judgment it must be pretty good. Either that or you are finally well and truly housebroken. Either way it works for me.

Well, DesertBob, those are all very credible and positive changes. Despite my whimsical attitude toward the "advantages" of aging, there are some very real ones.

Why, you are welcome, Margee. Let me guess: you missed the forums so much during the down time you had to get started early on Saturday to recoup your Ex-C time?

I'm better at just accepting myself for who I am and not holding myself to unreasonable standards. Now, if I could just convince my wife to do the same of me we'd move up a notch on the happy scale. :D

• Like 2

I always found it next to impossible to cry. Now, it's becoming a little too easy. I don't want to be sappy! :HappyCry: Though when I get hurt, I never cry. So I must still be a man!:dance:

• Like 1

Well, DesertBob, those are all very credible and positive changes. Despite my whimsical attitude toward the "advantages" of aging, there are some very real ones.

"Some very real ones" for me are:

Not needing everything.

Finding complete and total satisfaction in one sip of soup, one swallow of water.

Knowing how to lose with grace and dignity.

Knowing when to hold and when to fold.

Not having to win.

Reveling in a smile.

Feeling someones "touch."

Wanting nothing!

I have not mastered the above. I have started to allow them.

My life is like an old iron skillet that has been seasoned with the experiences of living and if I take the time to let things "simmer," life gets mighty tasty!--the bitter and the sweet.

• Like 6

I've gotten better at dropping things, especially breakable things. Need something dropped? Give me a call!

• Like 2

Once is enough!

Three times! Please forgive me!

Why, you are welcome, Margee. Let me guess: you missed the forums so much during the down time you had to get started early on Saturday to recoup your Ex-C time?

Ro -bear.........I am addicted to this site.......... you know that!! It's people like you that keep me coming back!! (that's a compliment!) :grin:

I'm better at just accepting myself for who I am and not holding myself to unreasonable standards. Now, if I could just convince my wife to do the same of me we'd move up a notch on the happy scale. :D

Vigile, I can say 'ditto' to this also. I have mellowed a bit and it feels good..

Actually, I will admit that I am probably much like your wife.......... But aren't most woman high maintenance!!? :shrug::grin: We do expect too much from men - To all the men in the world - I apologize!

I live life better now that I am older. For the first time in my life, I have put myself into the picture and I pay attention to my needs and desires. Although I still care too much about what other people think, I realize that it’s okay for me to have an opinion. I’m better at saying no. I still worry too much, but way less than I used to. I have wonderful, supportive friends that I love and we meet regularly to share meals and good times. We vacation together and if I have my way we will all live together when we get older and help take care of each other in our final years.

I live a much simpler life than I used to and I am more content than I’ve ever been. I have plenty of challenges but I must say that overall, life is good!

• Like 2

I'm more outgoing because I care a lot less what other people think.

Like Noob said, I'm much better at living life, and taking care of my own needs.

This doesn't have as much to do with age, but as an ex-christian I'm much better at coping with life - that is, I know now that I don't need to grovel and ask god for help - there is no god, and every time I have gotten through difficult circumstances, it has been my own strength. So now I don't pray and hope and wish for help; I help myself when I can, and ask actual living, breathing friends for help when I need to.

And yeah, sex just gets better and better; I think being multi-orgasmic nearly every time is a consolation prize for turning middle aged. :wicked: (but that's not due to MY skill)

• Like 2

I am increasingly fearless. Whereas I was once quite scared of people, I am now more honest and more likely to confront people who are being mean or stupid.

Great question!

Get drunk.

Its a lot easier.

Less messy too.

Cos when you're young and full of booze you want to show the world your balls...figuratively speaking.

When you're older and drunk, you want to show youre still sober.

I know this because U'm drunk.

I'm not as much of a dipshit.

I am increasingly fearless. Whereas I was once quite scared of people, I am now more honest and more likely to confront people who are being mean or stupid.

Great question!

I'm not quite fearless, but I am much better at facing my fears--at least on the interpersonal level. I'll stand and speak before a crowd if necessary. I'd dance if someone really wanted me to. I'd sing if I were drunk and someone wanted me to.

I don't do the physical daredevil stuff anymore, cliff-diving, hang gliding, etc. I attribute that to the enhanced understanding of mortality that comes with age.

I don't do the physical daredevil stuff anymore, cliff-diving, hang gliding, etc. I attribute that to the enhanced understanding of mortality that comes with age.

So in addition to the other things, time on this planet has made you smarter, too. Excellent. Therein lies my hope for the human race: We can learn.

One of the big things I learned was to trust my own perceptions and insights because they're generally reliable. Um, I guess the need to learn this means there was a time when the natural trust one is born with was destroyed. Well, such has been my life and I got it back. For me, this has been huge. It is now possible for me to go on in my life without having all authority figures (such as aging parents and uncles) understand my position or agree with me. I can shrug and accept that they are operating with insufficient information.