Goodbye Jesus

Ministry Work

Victory2011

My pastor was a really great guy. He was a nice guy, a hard worker, intelligent, funny- a damn good role model for me as a kid. It's a shame he ended up in that line of work. My only complaint is that he talked about jesus and god and shit like that every Sunday and Wednesday. So maybe that's something you could work on.

Lulz!

1215115313036.jpg.[roflposters.com].myspace.jpg

I have been on this site for a little while. I have been reading the testimonies about people, and have not commented a lot.

I want to help people, maybe even people who have stopped believing.

I want to learn from other people's mistakes and do things better.

Feel free to comment.

Why do you assume that people who have stopped believing need help? The ex-believers have helped themselves by escaping the mind prison of christianity. They have questioned the assumption of god, questioned the assumption of the teaching of the bible and found these assumptions were without substance. The truth has set them free...from christianity.

• Like 1

Hi Victory. Wow, that's the name of the church I used to go to.

My advice, which you've already heard I think, is that if you want to help people, do so in tangible ways--feed the hungry, clothe the naked--but not as a means to evangelize. Rather, do these things because they are good and moral ends in themselves. Find your compassion before Christianity steals it from you.

Former believers have been through a lot. We lost that which was most precious to us (our faith), even though we fought to keep it and begged to (and fasted for) God to help us overcome our doubts, which grew, unmitigated despite our best efforts, like Jack's beanstalk. A friend of mine recently developed cancer, and she said that losing her faith was harder than getting cancer.

The other advice I have for you is to listen to atheists without trying to convince them they are wrong. We know the arguments--we used to use them against unbelievers ourselves, just like you want to do--so next time an atheist comes to you and says, "You know, I used to be a Christian, but God left me high and dry", just say, "I'm so sorry. That must have been really hard."

My two cents.

Get an education--not at a Bible college--so you can really help people, regardless of what you (or they) believe.

All the best.