Goodbye Jesus

Finding A Career After Ministry

MarieVerus

Are there any other ex-ministers/pastors/lay people who had made a career out of the church and have had to find a new career path? My undergraduate degree is in Bible (so useful!) and I had plans to go to seminary to become a pastor or theologian. Now I'm on the fence about belief and trying to find what it is I want to do. I have debt from my Bible college degree, so any new educational endeavor I undertake has to be affordable and something that I can later get a job with (I'm so frustrated with having an impractical degree that I'm leaning towards incredibly practical professions, like medicine or law). Anyone else have experience with how to start your career path over after leaving professional Christianity?

I have no experience in leaving the professional ministry and starting over. But you mentioned going into the law. One of the good things about a law degree is that most law schools have no particular requirements for your undergraduate degree, so long as it is a four year degree. So, if you were to decide to go to law school, in that sense your degree from Bible college would not be wasted.

Like the above post pointed out, law school is a pretty decent option if you're interested in the subject.

While it may not be the job you're looking for, being a teller could be a good intermediate job while you figure out your next move. Most banks just require a bachelor's degree (doesn't matter what you got the degree in; I have a journalism degree and I got called for an interview) for teller positions and/or previous work as a cashier/someone who handles money.