Goodbye Jesus

Starting A New Religion

chosendarkness

Has anyone every tried to start a new cult/religion? I was thinking about it, since I've had experience with some pretty crazy shit in the past, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard. The goal would be to get as many followers as possible, as soon as possible, then get them to give me money. I really need money right now, that's the thing.

It's just an idea, but was wondering if anyone else tried this before, and what insight can you give? How do you become successful with it? I'm not looking for speculation, but real things that I can do to get it moving.

If you're not trolling then you're a really big asshole.

Lying to someone manipulates their rational decision making process. As rational beings we receive information and then make decisions based on it. By feeding them false information you are making it so they can't make properly informed choices. If you need money get it some other way than preying on the people whose brains aren't as well developed as yours.

• Like 3

If you're not trolling then you're a really big asshole.

Lying to someone manipulates their rational decision making process. As rational beings we receive information and then make decisions based on it. By feeding them false information you are making it so they can't make properly informed choices. If you need money get it some other way than preying on the people whose brains aren't as well developed as yours.

If someone believes my kooky religion, they'll believe anything. They're going to find some crazy shit to believe regardless. I'd try to make my religion's beliefs helpful though, not damaging like Christianity's. What if I pick up some followers who would have gone to a cult that caused them all kind of anguish and problems, but luckily ended up in mine where I don't do that to them?

Sure, I'm an asshole. I'm not morally perfect. If I was I wouldn't buy tennis shoes.

Why start a religion? Just go into politics.

Why start a religion? Just go into politics.

Nah, I'm more the hippie type. I'd rather do something I know about.

• Super Moderator

Have you considered being a psychic? If you have any aptitude for it you can learn the trade a lot faster than you could establish a religious following.

Have you considered being a psychic? If you have any aptitude for it you can learn the trade a lot faster than you could establish a religious following.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea.

Doesn't seem too hard..

http://www.skeptics.com.au/publications/articles/guide-to-cold-reading-ray-hyman/

I know from trying to run a ministry when I was an xtian that operating a church or religion, is not a get rich quick scheme. People may or may not donate to your operation unless you have been established for a while. Christians believe anything they are told about god but keep a tight fist on their cash. Most are not totally stupid! If you operate a religion and ask for handouts, you may or may not be taxed by the IRS, depends on how shady they think your religion is according to the law. In the US you have the right to practice your religion as you see fit but when you start hauling in the cash, the IRS takes notice and you better be able to prove you provide a service to your community, any kind of charity like feeding homeless pigeons or bringing Jesus to abandoned animals. People get started in a home church thinking it is a tax shelter only to discover they owe big bucks to Uncle Sam. I would try something that generates more cash, like a real job, especially while trying to get your religion up and running. need more money? Get a second job.

I hope you're a good salesman and have some experience with marketing.

Religion is a business just like anything else. Your selling a service, so if your services don't offer something of value nobody will buy.

Good luck.

I know from trying to run a ministry when I was an xtian that operating a church or religion, is not a get rich quick scheme. People may or may not donate to your operation unless you have been established for a while. Christians believe anything they are told about god but keep a tight fist on their cash. Most are not totally stupid! If you operate a religion and ask for handouts, you may or may not be taxed by the IRS, depends on how shady they think your religion is according to the law. In the US you have the right to practice your religion as you see fit but when you start hauling in the cash, the IRS takes notice and you better be able to prove you provide a service to your community, any kind of charity like feeding homeless pigeons or bringing Jesus to abandoned animals. People get started in a home church thinking it is a tax shelter only to discover they owe big bucks to Uncle Sam. I would try something that generates more cash, like a real job, especially while trying to get your religion up and running. need more money? Get a second job.

One thing I could do is write a book about how I was taken up to see heaven and/or hell. In the past Christians used to eat that stuff up. I don't know if they still do. The only thing is, Christian-speak is so repulsive to me, I don't know if I could do it. I can pass myself off as a Christian pretty easily I just don't like to. Just the thought makes me wince. I was also thinking I could make some Christian product. They'll buy anything it's 'Christian'. Like Testa-Mints.

You used to be like these people. It is not okay to just prey on people that are at a worse phase in their brain development than you.

Why would anyone ever want to damage someone else just to benefit themselves?

I don't understand that at all.

You used to be like these people. It is not okay to just prey on people that are at a worse phase in their brain development than you.

Selling religion to the religious isn't wrong. It's giving them what they want. I wouldn't mind selling cigarettes and junk food to people at a gas station. Some motivated ex-Christian out there needs to get money from Christians and start a fundamentalism recovery center. Heck, I'd even donate a percentage of my profits to that. These Christians have more money than god, while us ex-Christians suffer and struggle to get by. Take from the rich and give to the poor.

I took a great anthropology course on religious cults back in college. The professor shared with us that one of his former students went on to use the information learned in class to start his own successful cult, so it's definitely possible.

However, the prof also was very clear at how firmly he felt that student's action was an abuse of power - his goal in class was to give us the tools to recognize cult behavior so that we could keep ourselves safe or, better yet, educate others to keep them safe.

Deliberately setting out to deceive people on that profound a scale is pretty icky.

I met a man in Wyoming traveling through the state with five others looking for a home they could buy to start his ministry--he believed he was an anointed prophet of god .... To make a long story short, I asked him what kind of meds he was abusing and he and his holy flock departed.

Deliberately setting out to deceive people on that profound a scale is pretty icky.

Ex-Christians talk a lot about how bad it was to be in a cult, but we don't do anything about it. Where are the groups to help people get their sanity back? Great, there's one internet forum -- that hardly anyone posts on. What the fuck use is it to talk and not do anything? We talk about how it causes real psychological damage, but we don't actually think it's that bad. If we did there would be therapy groups in every city. All people do is get mad and become atheists and bitch. Talk down about religious people all the time, but don't do anything to help the suffering. And then act high and mighty, like we're so morally pure because that validates our ex-Christian views. The majority of people do nothing, except criticize those who actually do things. I wish there were more icky ex-Christians that at least did SOMETHING besides bitch. You don't like the idea of taking money from the Christians? Then what do you propose, and when are you going to do it?

Ex-Christians talk a lot about how bad it was to be in a cult, but we don't do anything about it. Where are the groups to help people get their sanity back? Great, there's one internet forum -- that hardly anyone posts on. What the fuck use is it to talk and not do anything? We talk about how it causes real psychological damage, but we don't actually think it's that bad. If we did there would be therapy groups in every city. All people do is get mad and become atheists and bitch. Talk down about religious people all the time, but don't do anything to help the suffering. And then act high and mighty, like we're so morally pure because that validates our ex-Christian views. The majority of people do nothing, except criticize those who actually do things. I wish there were more icky ex-Christians that at least did SOMETHING besides bitch. You don't like the idea of taking money from the Christians? Then what do you propose, and when are you going to do it?

? You're not taking money from christians. You're taking money from people who are suspectible to believing what people tell them. Some of them may be christians.

I don't see how you think taking money from christians is justified, anyway. How exactly does this help alleviate suffering?

I mean holy shit, you just mentioned that "it causes real psychological damage", and now you're going to the THE EXACT SAME THING.

What are you on that your way of thinking makes any rational sense?

• Like 1

I mean holy shit, you just mentioned that "it causes real psychological damage", and now you're going to the THE EXACT SAME THING.

Jesus Christ dude, get off your high horse. I already said I wouldn't put damaging beliefs in my religion. Do you think all religion is inherently evil or something? If you're so against exploitation, I would hope that you at least boycott products that are made from slave labor.

Jesus Christ dude, get off your high horse. I already said I wouldn't put damaging beliefs in my religion. Do you think all religion is inherently evil or something? If you're so against exploitation, I would hope that you at least boycott products that are made from slave labor.

First of all, I do my best to not buy products that are produced in harmful ways. For example, I am vegan.

Second, all religion is not inherently evil but LIES are. They aren't going to believe this their entire life. They're going to be lied to, and stolen from. My position isn't that hard to obtain. My horse isn't "that high". I'm just talking about treating your fellow human beings with decency. You know, rather than lying to someones face and then taking their money while they put their hopes and dreams into what you're saying.

First of all, I do my best to not buy products that are produced in harmful ways. For example, I am vegan.

Second, all religion is not inherently evil but LIES are. They aren't going to believe this their entire life. They're going to be lied to, and stolen from. My position isn't that hard to obtain. My horse isn't "that high". I'm just talking about treating your fellow human beings with decency. You know, rather than lying to someones face and then taking their money while they put their hopes and dreams into what you're saying.

How do you know they won't believe it their entire life? And if they're going to believe a lie wouldn't it be better if it's not one that screws up their lives? Some people have to have religion, in the US most become Christians. The more you try to tell them all religions are lies, the more they want to follow one. I'd rather them choose my religion, which would make them feel good about themselves instead of a guilty sinner that deserves hell. Sometimes fantasy is healthy because it can be fun and motivating. Fantasy isn't always 'just a lie'.

Maybe one day you'll look back on this and realize your error. You obviously just don't have that capacity now.

Maybe one day you'll look back on this and realize your error. You obviously just don't have that capacity now.

At least I'm honest. Ex-Christians are one track minded, maybe you'll realize that one day for yourself as well.

At least I'm honest. Ex-Christians are one track minded, maybe you'll realize that one day for yourself as well.

HONEST about wanting to LIE to people and steal their money?

Your virtue is in your vice? Lulz. I hope no one gets sucked into your foolishness.

HONEST about wanting to LIE to people and steal their money?

Your virtue is in your vice? Lulz. I hope no one gets sucked into your foolishness.

To me religion is nothing more than a fantasy, but I don't think all fantasy is wrong. Try not just seeing things only one way.