Goodbye Jesus

Preaching Through Texts

musicpoetry

One of my friends who I haven't spoken to in a while just texted me. He sent me four texts telling me to stop an turn away from sin because the enemy wants to conquer my soul because we are going through a spiritual war. Then he goes on to quote Joel. He doesn't really know much about my beliefs, so what is he preaching to me about? As far as he knows I'm Hindu. He has no idea I'm trying to figure whether I'm atheist, agnostic, or whatever. This makes me mad. As if I hadn't had enough people telling me I've hardened my heart. Apparently this same friend has started preaching on the train. WHYYYY???????? I remember listening to a preacher on the train wishing I had an iPod to listen to so I could fall asleep because it's not something I wanted to hear at 6 in the morning on my way to work.

That's all.

You want to know why your friend is preaching when he didn't used to? I suppose because he changed, too. So both of you changed since you last talked a lot.

I think what you're really saying is that it seriously bugs you that he decided to reconnect with you only to push religion. I know the feeling.eek.gif

One of my friends who I haven't spoken to in a while just texted me. He sent me four texts telling me to stop an turn away from sin because the enemy wants to conquer my soul because we are going through a spiritual war. Then he goes on to quote Joel. He doesn't really know much about my beliefs, so what is he preaching to me about? As far as he knows I'm Hindu. He has no idea I'm trying to figure whether I'm atheist, agnostic, or whatever. This makes me mad. As if I hadn't had enough people telling me I've hardened my heart. Apparently this same friend has started preaching on the train. WHYYYY???????? I remember listening to a preacher on the train wishing I had an iPod to listen to so I could fall asleep because it's not something I wanted to hear at 6 in the morning on my way to work.

That's all.

Send him a text at 3 am that says, "Dont text me anymore."

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Send him a text at 3 am that says, "Dont text me anymore."

I second that approach. In fact, since your "friend" sent you four texts, send him the 3am text four days in a row.GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

That's all.

Ugh. Well I suppose it's because he actually thinks that you are going to burn in hell if you don't change your ways. That's the way I view fundies - they usually have good intentions, no matter how fucked up their world view or methods may be. When I used to witness on the street, I felt as though I was doing "the Lord's work" by proclaiming the gospel to unbelievers in hopes that they would convert to the truth and be saved from hell. Looking back on that now, I realize how foolish I was. I no longer see humanity through the lens of "believer" and "non believer" tiers - we are all humans with mostly the same needs, wants, and desires, so we need to fucking get along! lol.

I agree with ChurchSucks. (great name btw, lol) I was once the friend that cared enough to try to bring someone to a closer relationship with God.... >.< I'm rather ashamed of those days, but looking back I remember that I was very sincere in my compassion for others - I just had been led to think that there was a "right" way to go in life, and I desperately didn't want to see anyone go the "wrong" way.

I think your friend means well - probably more than well. They're probably getting closer to God themselves (hence the train preaching) and thinking of how you're weak in the faith and wanting to help you. I had all my friends calling and talking to me when I "lost my faith" too - so I understand your frustration. When you're trying to make sense of everything you sure as hell do not need everyone on your back, trying to push you to think or believe in any way. This is your journey.

Remind your friend that if they have faith in God, they can trust you in His hands. They'll probably tell you that they'll pray for you, try to see that as their brainwashed way of caring about you.

But be firm about your boundaries.

Best of luck :) and know that you're not alone in dealing with such friends.

Preaching texts...OMG! I'm glad I lost my cell phone!

Thank you for all of your replies. Sending a 3 am text definitely sounds tempting lol.

We've definitely changed. I know my friend was a lot more open to different beliefs when I first met him. I was going through whatever...not sure what to call it since I never claimed to be a Christian, although I did almost become one because I "knew" I was going to hell for being an "un-believer." Long story...haven't even been able to explain it clearly in my testimony.

Can't remember how to use the quote thing at the moment.

"Preaching texts...OMG! I'm glad I lost my cell phone!"

LOL!

"I no longer see humanity through the lens of "believer" and "non believer" tiers - we are all humans with mostly the same needs, wants, and desires, so we need to fucking get along! lol. "

I agree!

"They're probably getting closer to God themselves (hence the train preaching) and thinking of how you're weak in the faith and wanting to help you. I had all my friends calling and talking to me when I "lost my faith" too - so I understand your frustration."

Yeah. I see through his fb statuses that he's gotten a lot closer to god than when I first knew him.