Goodbye Jesus

Really!? No Beer On Sunday Mornings! Wtf!

MagickMonkey

Ok, I haven't tried to buy beer on a Sunday in a long time. So Mrs. Monkey sends me to Walmart to grab a couple of things for lunch. I decide I want to grab a six pack of Shiner Bock for later. (MMMmmmm... Shiner Bock ROCKS!!) So I go to the beer section. The lights are off, and I notice a sign saying that according to some dumb Calloway, FL ordinance, they can't sell beer until 1:00 PM on Sundays.

REALLY??? I thought we were past stupid Sunday alcohol sales laws. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Everyone knows this law is based on religious hangups. So doesn't this constitute a violation of the separation of church and state?

Occupy Tallahassee! Let's riot!!!

Or, OWM. Occupy WallMart.

• Super Moderator

They stopped prohibiting Sunday sales around here a few years ago. It was weird to see the wine racks at the grocery store covered with a sheet.

I think there used to be laws against selling alcohol on election day (maybe such laws still exist). Strange, because we'd probably be better off as a nation if everybody got hammered before entering the voting booth.

We used to not be able to buy alcohol on Sundays anywhere in Jax at any time of the day, except the airport. Dumbest law ever.

Monk - If you buy or drink beer before 1 o'clock on Sunday - it means your an alcoholic!!! yellow.giftongue.png

Always go to the liquor store at 1:05 because that means you're a regular drinker!!! beer.gif

• Like 2

Ok, I haven't tried to buy beer on a Sunday in a long time. So Mrs. Monkey sends me to Walmart to grab a couple of things for lunch. I decide I want to grab a six pack of Shiner Bock for later. (MMMmmmm... Shiner Bock ROCKS!!) So I go to the beer section. The lights are off, and I notice a sign saying that according to some dumb Calloway, FL ordinance, they can't sell beer until 1:00 PM on Sundays.

REALLY??? I thought we were past stupid Sunday alcohol sales laws. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Everyone knows this law is based on religious hangups. So doesn't this constitute a violation of the separation of church and state?

I really think that it must be a Prohibition hold-over.

Here in Texas we have the same rule. And we have a sin tax. That's what they call it! Until a month ago, my community was "dry"...LOL

My Sunday tradition is to crack open a beer at 10AM (this morning a Black Butte Porter) and watch Sunday NFL Countdown. beer.gif

I am sure there is some law somewhere in the US on the books that says blasphemy is against the law and the penalty is being dragged into the town square and stoned - so count your blessings. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

We use to have "blue laws" in effect here. For as long as I can remember in fact. Until one day our Governor had a brain fart and realized by making it illegal to sell beer or alcohol on Sunday, all the business was going across the border just a short hop away, to another State. Thereby increasing their revenue and damning ours.

Oh, the fight that ensued. Of course the churchies were outraged! Alcohol on a Sunday?! For shame! "What Would Jesus Do?"

(Stock up on Saturday because Noah's a lush? What!)

Of course there's always another way of looking at that Florida ordinance. Wait until after 1p.m on Sunday to begin beer sales in WalMart! (Founded by a conservative Fundy Christian like Sam Walton, of all things!) That way when church is over and the pews empty, there's guaranteed enough inventory to quench the thirst of all those happy backsliders making their way to the refrigerator sections. 4.gif

Well, it was just a city ordinance.

I really think that it must be a Prohibition hold-over.

Here in Texas we have the same rule. And we have a sin tax. That's what they call it! Until a month ago, my community was "dry"...LOL

Wheeler County, TX is a dry county (or at least was when I was growing up). Everyone would just drive to Oklahoma or Pampa, TX for their beer. Being a dry county just meant less money staying in the local economy.

Makes no difference! Occupy Tallahassee anyway!!!

Makes no difference! Occupy Tallahassee anyway!!!

Hahahah, sounds good!

• Super Moderator

I'd rather occupy Key West.

• Like 3

I'd rather occupy Key West.

Me too!!!!!

When???????

Nebraska does the same thing. No fun until after 12 on Sunday afternoon. They only started selling condoms and tampons before noon on Sundays, this year, I think. Now that we can have beer at the lake in most places, I expect the Sunday sin laws to be repealed. But then again, this is Nebraska!

Who the fuck's even out of bed before noon on a Sunday? Maybe it's because I don't have kids yet....

Here in Italy, 16 year olds can buy hard liquor. Of course, most the stores are closed on Sundays, or if they're open, they'll close by noon. If you thought America was the land of contradictions....

• Like 1

Hell dude. I used to live in KS. No beer sales on sundays PERIOD. And you could only get 3% beer in grocery stores and convenience stores. And no alcohol sales after 12am. Unless you were in a bar and then it was 2am.

Missouri I think had a sale law ban on Sunday until like 11am.

There did used to be laws about alcohol sales on election days. Apparently, back in the day, the candidates would go to the beer hall get everyone liquored up and then send them to polls to vote. Things were a little different back in the day. Not sure if they got overturned or if the laws were changed to no sales within a certain radius of a polling place.

NC used to have tough blue laws, now money has morphed it into a sort of weird two hour no alcohol sales homage to the tea-totallers.

Here in ND the retail stores can't open till noon on Sun. Up till about '91 they could not open at all. In MN no off-sale liquor at all on Sun. In some states you cannot hunt on Sun. I just wonder why the ACLU or Freedon From Religion foundation hasn't sued over blue laws? If I had the ability to, I would do it myself. It is clearly Gov't establishment of religion.

• Like 1

Here in ND the retail stores can't open till noon on Sun. Up till about '91 they could not open at all. In MN no off-sale liquor at all on Sun. In some states you cannot hunt on Sun. I just wonder why the ACLU or Freedon From Religion foundation hasn't sued over blue laws? If I had the ability to, I would do it myself. It is clearly Gov't establishment of religion.

I wonder what OvercameFaith has to say about these laws.

I think there used to be laws against selling alcohol on election day (maybe such laws still exist).

This is true in both India and Thailand.

As a Minnesotan, let me just say you're lucky you can buy beer at all on Sundays. Liquor stores are closed here on Sundays, and those supermarkets that do sell beer only sell 3.2 beer (and I think they also have some restrictions on when they can sell on Sundays).

Lucky for me, it's a short run to the Wisconsin border.