Goodbye Jesus

Really!? No Beer On Sunday Mornings! Wtf!

MagickMonkey

Ok, I haven't tried to buy beer on a Sunday in a long time. So Mrs. Monkey sends me to Walmart to grab a couple of things for lunch. I decide I want to grab a six pack of Shiner Bock for later. (MMMmmmm... Shiner Bock ROCKS!!) So I go to the beer section. The lights are off, and I notice a sign saying that according to some dumb Calloway, FL ordinance, they can't sell beer until 1:00 PM on Sundays.

REALLY??? I thought we were past stupid Sunday alcohol sales laws. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Everyone knows this law is based on religious hangups. So doesn't this constitute a violation of the separation of church and state?

At least your Wallymart was open. I spent some time in Mississippi and whole stores were closed on Sundays. Now I live in Nevada, the land of sin and you can buy booze 24/7. Even the hard stuff at 7-Eleven.

Though I'm not sure what the hours of the legal brothels are. :-)

Occupy Tallahassee! Let's riot!!!

lol. We aren't the 99%ers .... we are the 80 proofers and we want our booze!

Occupy Tallahassee! Let's riot!!!

lol. We aren't the 99%ers .... we are the 80 proofers and we want our booze!

The 80 proofers demand the following:

1.Alcohol sales in Sunday at all hours of the day.

2. Last call to be pushed back to 4 AM.

3. Good music.

4. Sweet pepper jelly with our jalepeno poppers!

We have a blue law here in Tennessee that states that alchoholic beaverages can not be sold within so many yards of a church. I wander how many times a church has deliberately moved next to a bar simply because they wanted them to stop serving alchohol?

We have a blue law here in Tennessee that states that alchoholic beaverages can not be sold within so many yards of a church. I wander how many times a church has deliberately moved next to a bar simply because they wanted them to stop serving alchohol?

Doesn't have to do with churches but still along the same lines...

Despite being the location of a major operational distillery, Jack Daniel's home county of Moore is a dry county, so the product is not available for consumption at stores or restaurants within the county, although the distillery does sell commemorative bottles of whiskey.

http://en.wikipedia....Jack_Daniel%27s

You Yanks don't know when you're well off! Until the 1950's in Australia, you couldn't buy beer in most of the States after 6pm. This was known as "The Six O'clock Swill," because it led to huge crowds in city bars knocking back beer as fast as they could before 6pm. Most people's jobs ran from 9 to 5, so they basically had one hour to wet their whistles. The binge drinking this caused was incredible. Then they made it 10am to 10pm and it stayed as that until the 1960's when they introduced late trading, pubs could stay open until 2am in cities. On Sundays, pubs only opened from 11am until 1pm, then from 2pm until 6pm.

The 10 am to 10pm situation led to an amusing but legal dodge in the Queensland and New South Wales border areas. As New South Wales had Daylight Saving, and Queensland didn't (and still doesn't!) if you lived in say the twin cities of Coolangatta/Tweed Heads, you could go into New South Wales and start drinking at their 10am, then after a day's drinking you could get another hour in by staggering back into Queensland because the pubs didn't shut until Queensland's 10pm which was 11pm in New South Wales.

These laws also led to a huge amount of "sly grog shops," that is, places selling booze outside of lawful hours. They were like the speakeasies of American Prohibition times; everyone knew where they could get a drink if they wanted one. The law didn't, not officially anyway, but, as you may imagine, this situation caused a great deal of corruption in the police forces.

In Queensland where I live, you can't buy booze except on licensed premises, meaning you can't buy it in a supermarket, although you can do that in NSW. On Sundays you can't get it until 11am so far as I know, nor can you buy it at all on Good Friday or Christmas Day anywhere in Australia.

At one time, if you wanted to place an off track bet, you had to do that with an illegal Starting Price bookmaker (SP bookie). They were to be found in most if not all pubs. Now they have licensed TAB outlets inside them, as well as "Pokies," what you'd call "Slot Machines." In some ways I wish they hadn't turned the places into gambling dens, because degenerate gambling is just as bad as alcoholism to some folks, but they had to do something to keep the pubs and clubs alive, what with drink driving laws and all the rest of it.

Casey

In my state its illegal for grocery stores to even sell beer, you have to get it ye' olde liquor stores. Don't know what the sunday rules are for it though, never gone to buy booze on a sunday.

In my state its illegal for grocery stores to even sell beer, you have to get it ye' olde liquor stores. Don't know what the sunday rules are for it though, never gone to buy booze on a sunday.

Oh oh, there is also a law in Tennessee where liquor and beer cannot be sold in the same place--although I think restaurants are exempt.

• Super Moderator

Here's one for you.

Titty bars where they wear pasties and g-strings can sell alcoholic drinks, but if the dancers are nude, no alcohol can be served.

I fail to see the logic since one should be a bit inebriated if he is to enjoy looking at some of those women.

That is an odd law. All the fully nude places do is open a liquor store next door and allow the pervs to mix their own drinks at the lounge, so the law is ineffective anyway.

We have the same law in Powell, TN. Doesn't affect me, though, since I have a beer fridge in the man-cave. If I have less than 40 beers in 6-10 varieties, it's time for Ro-bear to go beer shopping.

• Super Moderator

Here's another stupid law. In my county, a bar can't serve alcohol if there is a live band and dancing. Two out of three is okay, but all three -- nope, can't do it. About two years ago, the cops started strictly enforcing it. A lot of good places closed. Of course my county loses lots of money every weekend because it's a short drive to the next one where partaking in such sinful activity hasn't been outlawed. Yet.

We have the same law in Powell, TN. Doesn't affect me, though, since I have a beer fridge in the man-cave. If I have less than 40 beers in 6-10 varieties, it's time for Ro-bear to go beer shopping.

That's one thing I sacrificed with marriage. In my wife's world, if it's in the house, it's meant to be drank. She would be a stupored lush if we kept a wine cellar, whiskey collection or a fridge full of beer.

That's one thing I sacrificed with marriage. In my wife's world, if it's in the house, it's meant to be drank. She would be a stupored lush if we kept a wine cellar, whiskey collection or a fridge full of beer.

The only beer my wife likes is Lindeman's Framboise. And the bottle is so big she won't open it unless someone else wants some.FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

Growing up my county in Wisconsin was completely dry from prohibition until about 10 years ago. You couldn't buy a drop of alcohol in the entire county!!! Naturally 6 inches on the other side of the border were tons of bars and liquor stores. Seems the Christians thought it was better having the pagans drive 20 miles home drunk from the bar than having the devil drink available on display in the neighborhood! Great idea!

It pisses me off that some stores are closed on Sundays but if I were to ever count on a store being open around here, it'd be the liquor store.