Goodbye Jesus

While I Was Looking At Old Pictures In My Jr. High Yearbook...

notaxtian

I suddenly began having unpleasant feelings. Feelings of anger, hurt, frustration. I was hoping that they would eventually go away because I am now forty years old and have a new perspective on life. I tried telling myself "It was a difficult time, but I got through it", but it didn't work. I can remember resenting some of my teachers and some faculty members(I attended a private school, more specifically, an adventist jr. academy). The principal's message, which appears on page three, states that "The 1982-83 school year has slipped away all too quickly. As each of us considers how quickly time passes, let's remember that only the things done for Jesus really last. One day soon we'll all gather in Heaven where time will no longer be important. Let's make the best use of our time here while we can....".

It's been over twenty years now. Well, I'm waiting....

Not! lol

If looking at your yearbook bothers you that much, why not shitcan it? Seriously, I threw my high school yearbook away about 5 years after I graduated, I just had no desire to think about it. Move on!

If looking at your yearbook bothers you that much, why not shitcan it? Seriously, I threw my high school yearbook away about 5 years after I graduated, I just had no desire to think about it. Move on!

In some ways I have moved on. For example, I don't go to church anymore and I don't keep Sabbath. I no longer live in fear of the Sunday Law. I just thought it would be interesting to look through my yearbook to see how much my perspective on life has changed. I was hoping to say to myself "That was a long time ago. That doesn't bother me anymore." Well, I guess it's like facing your fears hoping you don't get scared, but you get scared anyway. While looking through my yearbook I started to have very strong feelings, angry feelings. I must say I was surprised. Oh well. I won't throw it away, but it will be a long time before I read it again.

And this is why I didn't get a high school yearbook even though my dad wanted to buy me one. I'd just as soon forget that period of my life.

My jr high yearbooks have the same effect on me. I was labeled a faggot by the popular kids and fought on a daily basis. I should probably chuck my yearbooks, too. The one time I opened the books as an adult, I got so angry thinking about that time in my life, I put them in a box and haven't looked at them since.

And this is why I didn't get a high school yearbook even though my dad wanted to buy me one. I'd just as soon forget that period of my life.

Me too. Sometimes my high school peers say that high school was the best time of our lives. I think that's nonsense. If it were, I would talk about it nonstop.

My jr high yearbooks have the same effect on me. I was labeled a faggot by the popular kids and fought on a daily basis. I should probably chuck my yearbooks, too. The one time I opened the books as an adult, I got so angry thinking about that time in my life, I put them in a box and haven't looked at them since.

Thanks for responding. It's nice to know that other people feel the same way I do.

Junior high was the worst. I think they should abolish it. Fold the 7th graders into elementary school and fold the 8th graders into high school.

I occasionally enjoy looking through the yearbook. Some of the memories are sweet. Others are sad or bitter, though. The way I see it is this: I was able to handle it then, so surely I can handle it even more easily now.

I went to a class reunion last Saturday. I talked to a few people, but I mostly felt sad and out of place. Most of my best friends were not there. Some are dead. We all look like our parents did when we were in high school. I was glad to go home.