Goodbye Jesus

Giving Proof Of Evolution To A Christian Who Dosnt Know What It Is

Kaiser01

has any one else had to do this? i did today and it was a sad experince. i ended up looking like a moron becuase i was trying to give proof of evolution today to people who dont even know what it is.

key word is "looking".

has any one else had to do this?

Unfortunately, I still have to fake it and nod when my coworkers at the church I work at talk about how "ridiculous" it is. I heard someone today give the argument comparing God to the wind: You can't see the wind, but you see the effect of the wind when it blows.

My only question: Is all of the starving people in the world the "effect" of God? What about those who never hear about Jesus? What about when kids are sexually abused my a family member?

It's something I call selective filtering: Choosing to only pay attention to the good parts of life, and then give God the credit for it, all while ignoring all of the bad or blaming it on Satan.

*by a family member.

Sorry, can't edit posts yet.

When people want me to give specifics about evolution, I send them to Ken Miller's website and they can find out everything there is to know about evolution. I am not a scientist and I believe in evolution because it does not involve magic and talking snakes. Christians like to be smug about what they believe so many times they will not challenge someone who makes a living rebutting beliefs or someone whose research leads them to conclude evolution is true. Christians challenge the average person so they can appear to be more knowledgeable when all they want to do is spread their church doctrine and haven't a clue what in the hell they are talking about.

By the way, Ken Miller is a Christian and Catholic.

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/

Yeah, I wouldn't try to explain it if you don't understand it. Just refer them to good sources, like talkorigins.org.

Yeah, I wouldn't try to explain it if you don't understand it. Just refer them to good sources, like talkorigins.org.

o i understand it very well and i love the study of it. the person i was refering too who dosnt know what it is was the guy i was explaining it too.

When I was in college, a group of fundies would come to our free speech area every other week and preach/shout. The shows always drew in big crowds of people whom wanted to debate or shout back or even silently chuckle at the poor grammar on the fundie's signs. There were a few that would be nodding their heads, but they were a strict minority.

One time a guy and a girl fundie, out there to train there preaching muscles, approached a group of my friends for a quieter "discussion". One of my friends, a fellow physics major at the time and someone who can't ignore stupid people, started to ask them if they believed evolution. He got the expected responses, so he asked about genes/mutation/micro-evolution. After thirty minutes of teaching the facts and mechanics of it all, he got the guy, whom didn't know anything about the subject, to admit that micro-evolution is probably real (It was extreme fundie, so the girl was just there for show or family values or something.).

The guy would likely never believe that something like Darwinism or humans-from-monkeys is real, but my friend was quite happy to have taught what little he had.

Oh! There was also an old Muslim guy out there that taught at the university. He would get right in the preacher's faces, shouting back and putting out a theological/scriptural smack-down to the cheers of the crowd. He was awesome.