Goodbye Jesus

'generation Ex-christian' Uncovers Why People Leave The Faith

Ravenstar

The author is being presumptuous and should be reminded that such behavior is a combination of two of the seven deadly sins, wrath and pride. If someone wants to know why a person is not a Christian, ask him or her and take the answer at face value. To do otherwise is arrogance at its best.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is another book somewhat related to the topic that I read a couple of years ago. It is about how people view Christians and I found it pretty good when I read it.

http://www.amazon.com/unChristian-Generation-Really-Christianity-Matters/dp/0801013003/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325807707&sr=1-1

I don't find it surprising, it's easier if someone doesn't like your favorite flavor of ice cream to just come up with a bunch of excuses like, "well he's just a douchebag." Actually, addressing the issues of why people leave Christianity would force the author and his audience to have to acknowledge and deal with the real reasons and not made up ones. I've been told numerous times it's just because I'm mad at God, I just want to sin, I wasn't really a Christian to begin with, I was going to the wrong church etc...It's easier to circle the wagons than deal with reality.

Well, I did just want to sin. I told god that. Funny thing is god didn't jump up and say, "Nooooo! Pleeeeeeeeeease don't!!!!!" And my xian faith just dried up. Just as if there was no god to begin with. But I'm not suited for atheism so I got me some new imaginary friends. We have a good understanding. :-) They don't cause me guilt or fear. They aren't needy.

I guess we'd be better people if we became pastors who kept their disbelief a secret, while extolling the virtues of Christian faith to others.

Jesus Christ... Where do you even start with this book? If someone ever thrust it in my face and told me that they could bring me back and knew why I left, I would piss myself laughing!

I am 26, and there were many factors that caused my disenchantment with christianity. But up until REASON entered the fold, I was still quite sympathetic to the christian belief system. I still believed many of the stories. It was only when I began investigating that I realised I could no longer believe, because there wasn't anything to believe. Deconversion complete, no going back now.

Here is another book somewhat related to the topic that I read a couple of years ago. It is about how people view Christians and I found it pretty good when I read it.

http://www.amazon.co...25807707&sr=1-1

I took a look at the editorial review from that page:

Starred Review. Kinnaman, president of the Barna Institute, was inspired to write this book when Lyons (of the Fermi Project) commissioned him to do extensive research on what young Americans think about Christianity. Lyons had a gut-level sense that something was desperately wrong, and three years of research paints exactly that picture. Mosaics and Busters (the generations that include late teens to early 30-somethings) believe Christians are judgmental, antihomosexual, hypocritical, too political and sheltered. Rather than simply try to do a PR face-lift, Kinnaman looks at ways in which churches' activities actually may have been unchristian and encourages a return to a more biblical Christianity, a faith that not only focuses on holiness but also loves, accepts and works to understand the world around it. It would be possible to get lost in the numbers, but the authors use numerous illustrations from their research and life experiences and include insights at the end of every chapter from Christian leaders like Charles Colson, John Stott, Brian McLaren and Jim Wallis. This is a wonderful, thoughtful book that conveys difficult truths in a spirit of humility. Every Christian should read this, and it will likely influence churches for years to come. (Oct.)

The comment I've emphasized is quite laughable. Typical Christians (and likely this author) do not want to really understand the world around them. Most Christians want to assume things about us based on their dogma-induced misconceptions. If they really understood me and why I no longer believe, then they would cease believing too. Instead, they will imagine anything conceivable in order to prop up their religious worldview.

[Edit: Oh, they think they want to understand, but they think so under the false assumption that such understanding would conform to a "true Christian" worldview. Unfortunately for them, it would not, which they would understand if they really understood the truth about their religion.]

I don't find it surprising, it's easier if someone doesn't like your favorite flavor of ice cream to just come up with a bunch of excuses like, "well he's just a douchebag." Actually, addressing the issues of why people leave Christianity would force the author and his audience to have to acknowledge and deal with the real reasons and not made up ones. I've been told numerous times it's just because I'm mad at God, I just want to sin, I wasn't really a Christian to begin with, I was going to the wrong church etc...It's easier to circle the wagons than deal with reality.

Well, I did just want to sin. I told god that. Funny thing is god didn't jump up and say, "Nooooo! Pleeeeeeeeeease don't!!!!!" And my xian faith just dried up.

So much for leaving the other 99 to find the one sheep that was lost.

The recently released book by Drew Dyck,

Any guesses on how this is pronounced? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif