Goodbye Jesus

More Kids Die And God Is Still Good?

decafaholic

I go to my sister's house every week to play with my niece and nephew. Yesterday, my sister (who is super-involved in her Baptist church), got a text while I was there saying that a lady she knew had lost her young son and her mother in a car accident that afternoon. Of course, the prayer chain was alerted.

Here's the kicker: this lady and her husband had prayed for 7 years that God would give them a baby boy (I don't see the reason for requesting a gender, but that's not important) and then the boy died in a freak car accident. He was in first grade.

It's an awful, awful thing to lose a mother and a child. But it really adds that extra sting when you believe that an all-powerful god was responsible.

When I heard they were asking people to pray, I thought: "Why? Obviously, this story illustrates that praying is a crap shoot at best, and that "god" certainly can't be trusted." It's like asking your child's murderer to loan you money.

As a Christian, I would have totally accepted all of this as God's mysterious will. But now the blinders are off, and I think faith in an all-powerful god just makes situations like this that much more painful.

• Like 2

I go to my sister's house every week to play with my niece and nephew.

As a Christian, I would have totally accepted all of this as God's mysterious will. But now the blinders are off, and I think faith in an all-powerful god just makes situations like this that much more painful.

Decalf, when my only sister died at 39, she was a single mom of two beautiful kids, 8 and 14. I finished bringing up her kids and now I consider them to be my girl and my boy. To watch these 2 children grieve their mom was beyond any pain I ever want to experience again.

Trusting god, for me came to a screeching halt for awhile, the anger inside me was so intense. I had people tell me that god had a mysterious plan for my life with these two dear children .I'll say....... My husband left.......he couldn't do it and it was the most intense pain I have ever felt. Yet, I went back to the lord and asked for forgiveness for my lack of faith!! We are all doing fine today. (but not because of any god)

Life just makes more sense to me without god. I can still get mad at life, but I don't have to feel that rage anymore, for a god who would curse people with bad luck.

• Like 1

Back in the 80's, I went to church and school with this girl who was probably ten years younger than me. I haven't seen her for 20+ years now. Anyway, she's on facebook so have been able to keep up with her happenings. She and her husband waited for ten years for God to give them a baby boy. This poor child was born with a list of health problems, and he lived just past his first birthday. They are burying him on Tuesday. As Margee said, "Life just makes more sense without God." Certainly the Christian definition of God.

I don't understand this line of thinking. People really believe God is up there actively allowing everything that happens to happen? Even when I was a Christian, I didn't subscribe to that line if thinking. I believed God created everything. I believed He was aware of everything. But I also believed in free will and that nothing was predetermined. Now, I just go about my business and don't give it any thought. If something bad happens to someone, I leave it at that.

When I heard they were asking people to pray, I thought: "Why? Obviously, this story illustrates that praying is a crap shoot at best, and that "god" certainly can't be trusted." It's like asking your child's murderer to loan you money.

Oddly enough I just found this video today - it basically illustates how no matter what happens, people use god as the answer to every scenario. Fits the situation here pretty perfectly:

• Like 2

Oddly enough I just found this video today - it basically illustates how no matter what happens, people use god as the answer to every scenario.

a.k.a. The Almighty Caveat

And yet, it's horrific tragedies like that that very often serve to reinforce the believers faith. They placate themselves with empty comforts, that are often parroted by their religious friends and family, like; "We can't know God's plan, but at least the little boy has his grandmother with him in heaven now. " Or, "The lord works in mysterious ways!" No, it's not mysterious at all. This woman's little boy probably said his prayers every night and still when he needed god, god was a voyeur.

Omni-benevolence - infinitely kind. One of those many omni traits god is suppose to possess that always seem to have a terms of use asterisk in real life, but not in print in the Bible that promises they're all true.

That's why I love "The Devils Advocate" movie. Especially this famous line, when I read of times like this.

"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!" John Milton (Al Pacino)

Oddly enough I just found this video today - it basically illustates how no matter what happens, people use god as the answer to every scenario. Fits the situation here pretty perfectly:

Good link. I followed the link to the podcast that inspired the comic, and it's well worth watching.

for the Thinking Atheist on "god glasses."
  • Like 1

Max, I'm watching all of the other speeches from that event, and I'm enjoying them immensely.

Max, I'm watching all of the other speeches from that event, and I'm enjoying them immensely.

Me too Trapped - they are awesome!! I have been listening all night.The guy doing the one above is hilarious!!

I can relate to everything he says!

Thanks Max!