Religious plea from former co-worker

webmdave

• Admin

It isn't rare that I get messages like the following.

Always from someone who knows better than I do how I should live my life. I'd like your comments on how to reply to stuff like this, sent from a former co-worker.

A little background, I was never close to this guy, never liked him, and he had nothing to do with me. On one occasion, when we had a particularly stressful situation, I had to call in someone to replace him and relieve him of his duties, because he couldn't handle the responsibility at the time.

So now, a couple years later, he writes....

Rich,

I have gotten copied on a number of facebook postings submitted by you and Deanna. After reading the last few of them and being somewhat taken aback by some of the content, I feel led in my spirit to write you.

With respect to your choice to believe the way you want, I must say that I am concerned for you. We talked one night at KOMO about your traumatic experience with your ex-wife and the church you pastored in the South. At that time as I recalled, you expressed anger and bitterness at what was done to you.

It's understandable you would feel that way. However, that wasn't God's doing. And deep down inside I believe you realize that.

I'm sad that both you and your wife embrace atheism. I'm doubly sad for you because you have been exposed to the word of God and you have no excuse.

Again, what you choose to believe is your business. However as a friend and someone who cares, I must tell you that you have taken the bait of satan. He'll destroy you if you let him. Turn back to the Lord. He is real and He loves you.

I'll pray for you. I value you as a friend.

Sincerely,

former nor particularly close co-worker.

So how would you handle this crap?341308241322198669-8368011304870904468?l=livingafterfaith.blogspot.comLivingAfterFaith?d=yIl2AUoC8zA</img> LivingAfterFaith?d=63t7Ie-LG7Y</img> LivingAfterFaith?d=qj6IDK7rITs</img> LivingAfterFaith?i=0eCOasgQD20:sjEJTkqdsq0:V_sGLiPBpWU</img> LivingAfterFaith?i=0eCOasgQD20:sjEJTkqdsq0:gIN9vFwOqvQ</img>0eCOasgQD20

View the full article

I might write back and say that the reason we "chose" atheism is because it makes more sense than the religion we were originally taught to believe in, and that there's no evidence that Christianity or any other religion is true.

But then, he's probably perceiving you as one of the "recoilers" as per the book "Generation Ex-Christian" - a stupid book about people who leave Christianity for different reasons. The author of that book has placed them in categories, and one of them is people who "were hurt by Christianity but take it out on God." Which misses the point of instead being harmed by the church, wanting to learn more about God, and coming to the conclusion that Christianity is false.

Maybe you could explain that while you were hurt by the church, you instead re-examined Christianity, realized it wasn't true, and therefore are not angry at God but instead if anything, angry at Christianity the false faith rather than their God.

It's hard to say what to say because if he simply said "Join Christianity" you could say "fuck off." But if he has a genuine misconception as to why you're no longer a Christian, it's tempting (for me at least) to correct it. I fucking hate these dumbasses.

"It's understandable you would feel that way. However, that wasn't God's doing. And deep down inside I believe you realize that."

It is never god's doing, is it? Just his nutty followers who are god's representatives and supposedly take orders from him.

"I'm sad that both you and your wife embrace atheism. I'm doubly sad for you because you have been exposed to the word of God and you have no excuse."

The "you have no excuse" part deserves the "Go fuck yourself" reply or at the very least "Don't judge me."

Maybe he is still angry because he got relieved from duty by our author? Might be fun to bring that up again...haha

How about, "Thank you for your concern, but I am doing fine, inside and out. You don't need to concern yourself any further over myself or my family."

• Like 2

Two excerpts from your former co-workers message that, in my opinion, say it all.

With respect to your choice to believe the way you want, I must say that I am concerned for you.

Again, what you choose to believe is your business. However...

He's lying, when he claims he respects your choice as your personal business.

What he wants is you to return to his way of thinking, because the both of you have been exposed to the Bible and he believes every word, and is obviously threatened and insecure that your knowing the Bible as well, have found nothing within it is believable anymore. And as a consequence of arriving at that conclusion, rather than remain theist you are now atheist.

You've set off on a path he can not understand. His own words denote a belief that god's created Satan is more powerful than god because he thinks Satan can throw out bait and lead the faithful to god, away from god.

That he believes in Satan as the antithesis of the all powerful supreme creator he worships says he's incapable of letting any of it go.

You said you had to relieve him of his duties at work at one time, because he couldn't handle them. In his whole life he's happy to relinquish his full responsibility to the antagonist and protagonist models that he believes work on either side of him as he makes his way down his personal life path.

What can you say to someone like that, when they believe the invisible is more powerful than real life? Not a lot. Because they believe their immortal soul is on the line, and that education outside of the Book stands to send them to god's created hell.

However, if I cared to try to reach him or anyone like him, I'd simply write back and say this:

If there is a god it is incumbent upon it/him/her, to believe in me. If what you hold as true for your life makes you a better person to share my world with, I'm all for it. And I expect the same respect in return. Thank you.

I wrote a letter for you webmdave!

This is what I would want to tell someone!! FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

Dear ...........

Nice to hear from you! Thanks for being concerned for me and my family. Just wanted you to know that we are all doing fine.

I thought maybe if I took a couple of minutes to explain to you why I have rejected the christian faith, bible and god, you might understand my position a little better.

I do not believe that the bible was written or is the 'spoken word' of truth from god's own mouth - rather I believe that it was written by ancient tribes of humans, 2 - 4,000 years ago. They interpreted who they thought god was. (Remember, these people of ancient, still thought the world was flat and we lived under a dome)

I do not believe that it took 7 days to create the whole universe. My studying has shown me that it is much more complex than that. I also do not accept the story of adam and eve and talking snakes and being 'born in sin'. I do not believe in burning bushes that speak to you, men that live in fish, world wide floods, virgin births, parting of the seas, staffs turning into snakes, resurrection of the dead, witches, wizards, spirits, dragons, angels, demons or demon possessed people, talking donkeys, walking on water or giants.

I cannot support a god who promotes, rape, slavery, sexism, and genocide of men, woman and children, animal and human sacrifice. I reject the concept of everlasting punishment from a hateful god who would burn people for eternity. I cannot accept the god of the bible who would allow a devil (with more power than god himself) to roam the earth for the last two thousand years, causing the horrendous destruction, while he sits back and takes his time to make his new earth. An earth he could have made 'perfect' from the beginning.

Because I do not believe that we were born in sin - I also have to reject the idea that I need a savior to perform a human blood sacrifice for me. I cannot eat the body or drink the blood of Christ any longer. It's sounds much too 'cultish' to me.

I appreciate so much that you will understand and respect my position on the 'faith based' religion. I will continue to respect what you choose to believe also. That's what friends do.biggrin.png Please, don't be concerned about my going to hell, because I also do not believe that ancient myth either.

Take good care, best wishes for you and your family and again, thanks for thinking of me!

Sincerely,

If it were me, I'd just hit delete. These people are looking to engage you in a dialogue, with the misguided hope that they'll eventually get you to come around to their way of thinking. By not engaging, you deny them the opportunity to continue to proselytize.

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd just hit delete. These people are looking to engage you in a dialogue, with the misguided hope that they'll eventually get you to come around to their way of thinking. By not engaging, you deny them the opportunity to continue to proselytize.

Yep. That would be my approach as well.

I would normally advise the same as some others here. Delete and ignore or even block any other messages or emails from them.

However, if you're on any social networking sites and he is too, as friends of mine have found to be the case when those who knew them when they held faith find them at FB or MS, they end up sending packs of believers to hound you back into the fold. So unless certain options are in place precluding a band of newbies bent on a mission, one stands to draw a lot of unwanted Christer attention.

you know, you can do a version of the old snail-mail snub, that is, return his email or forward it back to him, un-replied to. Then block his address so he gets that you're snubbing him.

• Like 1

I like Margee's letter. If he questions it, just inform him that this is what happens when you are "exposed to the word of God", you subsequently know what it says.