Goodbye Jesus

I'm Still 'saved'!

Margee

I'm still 'Saved'!! It's true!! A real live Christian just told me!! I'm so happy! yellow.gif

We didn't have a huge discussion on it because we were both on the treadmills at the gym doing a fairly good power walk - so not a lot of breath for talking. This girl went to the same church I used to go to (we didn't know each other very well) but she was so excited to see me. Of course, she asked me where I go to church now and I decided to tell her the truth. I said: 'Betty, I am an agnostic'. She responded very casually and said, 'are you'? That was it!! She didn't even blink. Wendytwitch.gif

Then she proceeded to tell me that once I accepted Jesus as my savior - I was 'covered' under his grace forever. Once saved - always saved!! She even told me that god understood my analytical mind (after all, he gave it to you, she said!!)

I don't know what she thinks 'blasphemy of the holy spirit' is??

Well, I got off the treadmill and when I walked away - I almost (for a few seconds) felt loved by god again!!

Now, you scripture experts - I have a question for you: Where would she get the evidence in the bible for this? Why does she believe that 'once saved - always saved' and others say you can lose your salvation?

I do not recall the church I was going to at the same time as her, believing this or preaching on it?? Wendyshrug.gif

• Super Moderator

John 10:28-30: “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

There are also other verses that lead to that doctrine. Check out the site.

John 10:28-30: “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

There are also other verses that lead to that doctrine. Check out the site.

Thank you florduh.........that means you're still saved!!! yellow.gif .

I didn't even remember that verse!! What 'site' am I supposed to check out? I would Love to know more on this?

Here is the one that the cult that I was in taught.

1 Peter 1:23

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Once saved always saved is the doctrine.

Now it is my turn.

A friend of mine keeps telling me that "the Devil wants my soul".

I tell him I am not afraid of any devil. I have the armor of God!

I still know most of that verse and spout off a few of the armor to him with a confident smile.

I say.....if that does not work I just say "get behind me satan"!

Good fun, our exchristain family.

So it's Pascal's wager with clout?! ;) If there is a god all us ex-C's are still OK. And if there isn't we aren't going to be surprised! lol

once save always save only applies when you actually had been saved,,,

you maybe with us but not OF US,,,,,,

god will not be mocked,,,,,,

so once you tasted the goodness, why would you go back on your own vomit,,,,,

ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED, but get saved correctly,,,,, no water sprinkling baptism,,,, all must be proipertly done,,, ok?

what kind of crap is all these..... yucks

• Like 1

What 'site' am I supposed to check out?

Clicking on "John 10: 28-30" should take you there. This page has a link:

http://www.allaboutg...uery=once+saved

thanks my friend! Hug!

Yeah, back in the day, when I was still too young to get out much, I thought that the OSAS crowd believed as your friend. I was told the OSASers believed you could get saved, go on a murderous rampage, die, and the go straight to heaven. Only after deconversion did I discover from the horse's mouth that the position of most OSASers was that we were never really saved! An inter-sect straw man, perhaps?

Of course there is obviously a minority that DOES believe we are still saved anyway. Attractive assumption that I would get to hang out with you guys, but pretty crappy that the billions that never heard of or bought into xianity in the first place would burn in hell.

thanks my friend! Hug!

i don't know WHY this article gave me comfort, but it did??? Crazy!!

thanks my friend! Hug!

i don't know WHY this article gave me comfort, but it did??? Crazy!!

I thoughtI had some comfort, but I just re-read the article.............sad.png

quote:

''Critics of the “once saved, always saved” doctrine claim that it gives Christians a license to sin. They presume that those who believe in eternal security intend to accept salvation, and then continue to willingly sin. This is inaccurate, because anyone who has been truly saved is a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17), has the conviction of the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 1 Thessalonians 4:8), and now wants to live for Christ. Someone who continues to willingly and blatantly live in sin has not truly accepted Christ (1 John 2:19; 1 John 3:6; James 1:26). While this false belief may be held by some, it is not a part of the teachings of any true Christian church (Romans 3:8). '' sad.png

• Super Moderator
I thoughtI had some comfort, but I just re-read the article.............sad.png

Stop reading.

• Like 1

The church I went to as a kid didn't preach 'once saved/always saved'. I was jealous of other kids I went to school with (all Baptists) who believed that- it was so EASY for them.

No, my understanding was that if I accidentally uttered the word 'fuck' just before I died- with no chance to 'repent' before death- then I was fucked for all eternity regardless of how my life had been lived up to that point.

Good thing it's all a bunch of hocus-pocus nonsense.

But here's a question: How would we feel if all us ExChristians suddenly- despite our best 'efforts' and reasoning- found ourselves in heaven when we died (I mean, most if not all of us were 'saved' at some point)? Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the ass?

• Like 1

No, my understanding was that if I accidentally uttered the word 'fuck' just before I died- with no chance to 'repent' before death- then I was fucked for all eternity regardless of how my life had been lived up to that point.

Yeah, that was me too. I went to a OSAS church when I moved out on my own, but couldn't wrap my mind around it. What it did show me, however, is you can make the bible say whatever you want it to say. Both positions are supportable.

I wish I could get back my years of laying in bed pondering eternity and worrying I'd fuck up and spend an eternity in torment.

But here's a question: How would we feel if all us ExChristians suddenly- despite our best 'efforts' and reasoning- found ourselves in heaven when we died (I mean, most if not all of us were 'saved' at some point)? Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the ass?

Indeed. Especially if the fundies all found themselves locked outside the gates because they failed the reasonability test. (not saying I want them to burn; no one deserves that; just eat a bit of humble pie)

Indeed. Especially if the fundies all found themselves locked outside the gates because they failed the reasonability test. (not saying I want them to burn; no one deserves that; just eat a bit of humble pie)

@ Rank -that was too friggin' funny! It was that strict ? wow! Wendytwitch.gif

@Vigile - what's the 'reasonability' test? I've never heard of this? Wendyshrug.gif Sounds interesting!

The technical term is "preservation of the saints". It's a Calvinist idea, those that God has elected to save won't lose that salvation, cannot lose that salvation. It really doesn't mean that you are an atheist, die an atheist ,and are still saved. That's a novelty created by some Baptist and "non-denominational" types that take the doctrine to an extreme.

I'm still 'Saved'!! It's true!! A real live Christian just told me!! I'm so happy!

Lol, congratulations!! It's too bad that I'll never be "saved". ^_-