Goodbye Jesus

Hilarious

Asimov

That's beautiful. I can almost hear the discussions...

"Okay, okay... so we all know that dating by radiomatric decay means that the earth is billions of years old, so we have to figure out a way to make it seem like the earth is just thousands of years old... any ideas?"

"Um... should we just take it on faith that the bible is right?"

"Well, of course, but we need something we can shove in the faces of all those so-called 'scientists' that clouds the fact that we can't prove anything by using accepted scientific dating methods."

"Well... is the decay rate constant?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Well... what if we said that the decay rate used to be a lot faster, but it's slowed down... um, because of the End Times™?"

"Hey! That's great! No one can prove it and it sounds all scientific and stuff!"

"Really? You like it?"

"I love it! But let's leave the thing about the End Times™ out of it, just in case we need that as a trump card or something."

"Okay... I'll get out my Big Word Dictionary and start working on the theory!"

"Praise Jesus!"

"Amen!"

So...they make this amazing discovery that contradicts quite a bit of what the fields of physics, geology and chemistry say, and instead of publishing these in a peer review for further confirmation, they decide to publish a book instead... hmmmm... And they wonder why people have problems taking them seriously as "scientists"...

Hey! How ignorant of all of you! This is a Democracy dammit. If the majority of people believe in something, it is true!

ALL PRAISE GEORGE W!

Thompson's child president may look like he's lost too many brain cells, but he's werkin fer tha good uf dis naishun.

That's beautiful. I can almost hear the discussions...

"Okay, okay... so we all know that dating by radiomatric decay means that the earth is billions of years old, so we have to figure out a way to make it seem like the earth is just thousands of years old... any ideas?"

"Um... should we just take it on faith that the bible is right?"

"Well, of course, but we need something we can shove in the faces of all those so-called 'scientists' that clouds the fact that we can't prove anything by using accepted scientific dating methods."

"Well... is the decay rate constant?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Well... what if we said that the decay rate used to be a lot faster, but it's slowed down... um, because of the End Times™?"

"Hey! That's great! No one can prove it and it sounds all scientific and stuff!"

"Really? You like it?"

"I love it! But let's leave the thing about the End Times™ out of it, just in case we need that as a trump card or something."

"Okay... I'll get out my Big Word Dictionary and start working on the theory!"

"Praise Jesus!"

"Amen!"

103132[/snapback]

:vent: Damn! You had a bug in our office! You were not supposed to reveal that secret!!! :HaHa:

What's interesting with the whole "radiation slowing down" theory, is that if it's true, then the universe is much-much-much-much larger than we thought. And this is based on the timing of fairly recent observed events, and simple math. And then the universe also gets even older, and at the end we end up with the same age of the universe anyway.

So...they make this amazing discovery that contradicts quite a bit of what the fields of physics, geology and chemistry say, and instead of publishing these in a peer review for further confirmation, they decide to publish a book instead... hmmmm...  And they wonder why people have problems taking them seriously as "scientists"...

103141[/snapback]

Good observation, and it's a really good question. If they were so certain, why publish a book instead of letting the community scrutinize the findings? Ah, of course, the Evil Atheist and Evilutionsist Conspiracy will stop the Bible-Truth™ to come out!

You know, I have a theory on why there are so many more crackpots today than in the past. Society has gotten too soft. In the past, those with crackpot beliefs and who were very vocal about them frequently got martyred (see this page for some end times prophets whose predictions were met less enthusiastically than they'd hoped). Now, we as a society are more "understanding" and not so oppressive of others' beliefs.

Ah, well, I guess it's for the best. If you want to live in a society where you're free to express yourself, I guess you gotta let the nutbars do it, too.

Refuted

Heres a very indepth website explaining why the FATE findings are wrong.

Guest Warlock

Accelerated decay? I dont remember any astronomical evidence of this strange phenomena. Wouldn't it just be easier to claim that Bible-God just made the Earth an exact copy of another planet used in a different universe? One where he was testing out evolution? Kind of like in the book "Job" by Robert Heinlein. Even when I was a christian I didn't believe in a young earth. I only questioned how long life (and specifically homo sapiens) had been on the planet. It was quite obvious to me that the earth and the universe were billions of years old.

So...they make this amazing discovery that contradicts quite a bit of what the fields of physics, geology and chemistry say, and instead of publishing these in a peer review for further confirmation, they decide to publish a book instead... hmmmm... And they wonder why people have problems taking them seriously as "scientists"...

Amen, brother. That's why they announce their results in an Answers in Genesis conference attended by Christian laymen, not at a scholarly, scientific conference. I think their agenda is to bypass the scientific community and try to 1) bolster the faith of Christians, 2) influence the public via the media, 3) make money. No one makes money by publishing a scientific paper in a peer-reviewed journal, but selling a book can make money.