Goodbye Jesus

November 14: National "thank An Extremist Day"

Thackerie

David Byars, whom I had never heard of before I read about him at friendlyatheist.com, has a good idea. He asks:

How many atheists are atheists because of encounters with crazy religious people on the bus or on street corners, or by seeing or hearing one of the omnipresent megachurch pastors on Sundays? ... And how much better off are we without god-belief? We should be thanking those nutty evangelistic crackpots! They are performing a public service, even if it isn’t the one they believe they are.

And he goes on to make this proposal:

November 14th should be “Thank an Extremist Day”

If you were startled out of complacency because of something stupid or infuriating that a religious celebrity said, send them a letter, an email, a tweet or comment on their blog thanking them for getting your feet off the road to religion and starting you running the other way.

The complete bog is at

http://davidbyars.wo...-extremist-day/

If you go there, be sure to watch the clip from Jon Stewart’s Daily Show that gave him the idea. There’s a link from the first paragraph in Byar’s blog.

What do you guys think about this suggestion?

While he isn't a totally nutty crack-pot, my SS teacher that encouraged us to read the Bible through in a year, would have to be the guy that I thank.