Goodbye Jesus

Why does Christianity need converts?

Poonis

Doesn't seem they want to answer... :shrug:

My own take on it is:

Their claim is that they are "compelled" by the Holy Spock to do it, and that they "love" people so much that they don't want to see them go to hell.

But my take on it is that the Memeplex forces them to copy themselves, to reassure the survival of the Meme virus. It's a built-in function, to save the urban legend from death. The more Christians, the more certain they are that they believe the truth. Without other followers they would feel the pressure that they might be wrong, and I do think most Christians feel this deep down. They're afraid of being wrong, so by making more believers, it supports them in their fragile belief.

Christians,

Why do you seek converts to christianity?

103178[/snapback]

To grow the business by increasing tithe revenues as well as other income from book sales, tapes, music and television appearances?

It's kind of like the tobacco companies.... you have to keep bringing in new smokers as the old ones die off or quit, to keep the business from going belly up. Christianity operates the same way. Just a guess :shrug:

IMHO, it's because if there were no new converts, the religion would die out when its followers got old. One day, it will, and I hope I live long enough to see it.

I find it interesting that we 'ExCians' (HanSolo, Mike D, Amethyst, et al) have the same conclusion, although we have no bible that we resort to, nor are we preached to by some sort of non-christian clergy.

Without new converts, Christianity will die.

When there are many christians, Christianity is widely known. When there are few christians, Christianity is less known. When there are no christians, Christianity is unknown.

Anything that has a beginning, has an end.

I find it interesting that we 'ExCians' (HanSolo, Mike D, Amethyst, et al) have the same conclusion, although we have no bible that we resort to, nor are we preached to by some sort of non-christian clergy.

That's probably because our conclusions are based on logic and not emotion. I suspect that the Christians will have more than one answer, depending on which denomination they are from.

Without new converts, Christianity will die.

When there are many christians, Christianity is widely known. When there are few christians, Christianity is less known. When there are no christians, Christianity is unknown.

Anything that has a beginning, has an end.

Keep it away from the children, and Christianity will find itself sitting in the chair right next to Zeus within a handful of generations. :mellow:

Every time I hear "Good news" I get a vision of 3 fairy acting gays prancing around saying "Good news" "good news"

Maybe that's because a Jewish gay guy I knew used to tell me that's how he saw it. But when ever I hear or see it, that's what comes to mind.

"Good news" my ass.

I like the George Carlin skit "Join the Book Club".... when ever I see or hear those bumper sticker sayings, I hear "join the book club" "and, if you order now ___________"

I think their ego thinks when people tell them their beliefs are crap that if their beliefs are crap, they may really be going to the hell they fear the most. So misery loves company, if they can convert someone else, they feel justified.

Nobody wants to be alone in their Boat.