Goodbye Jesus

If there's no creator, who did this?

willybilly30

We have evolved to seek answers to the hard questions. We are not omnipotent, so there will always be unanswered questions. Without mysteries to solve, life would be boring. Some questions are merely hard, some may be impossible to answer; that's what keeps life interesting. Read, study, learn something new every day.

1. Were did the universe come from? Were did everything come from?  Was the universe just here and nothing ever made it?  If we went back in time as back, we could go what

Would we see? Something had too start all this.

There are some really good books on this subject you probably should read. Basically, sometime around 13.7 Billion years ago, the Big Bang occured. Inflationary Theory helps explain what happened next. Matter conjealed, Stars were born, the Universe evolved. Eventually life on Earth evolved so that we can think and reason.

2. Who decided earth would have life while the other planets do not have life?  Who decided grass would be green and the sky blue? Who decided the birds would go south for the winter and bears hibernate.

Life may be very common in the Universe. More powerful telescopes and lots more study are needed. However, we are here, so the odds seem to be pretty good. Once the Universe was born, our existence may have been natural and innevitable.

3. Were did religion come from? Seems like since time began theirs been a belief in a creator. If no creator why would the belief start? Why would the belief in life after death start?

Note: By creator, I do not mean bible god I do not think some dude in a thrones sitting in the universe somewhere.  Im not trying too convert atheist too anything Im just wondering about this. I try too understand people beleafs.

Early man had lots of questions too. Without Science, all he had were supernatural explanations. Everything was the result of gods and spirits, thus Religion. Science tries to answer the same questions, but without the supernatural.

SHAMELESS PLUG:

Willy, have you checked the critic's corner? The first post is full of book recommendations for the newly de-converted. You should check it out. I bought some of the books recommended, and they are not too hard to read. There must be about 25 book recommendations from people in this forum.

Check it out when you have the chance.

I love an open mind.

103357[/snapback]

It's okay as long as the brain matter doesn't spill out! :grin:

I cannot wait too hear more about this. what is a white hole?

103356[/snapback]

The opposite to a black hole, highly ordered and intense massive body the repells matter instead of attract:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

It's completely speculative in science at the moment, so don't take it for being a proven object in cosmology or astronomy.

edit:

some good sites to do research and reading from:

http://www.space.com/

and

http://www.newscientist.com/

it's all chemicals and energy

JMO, but when it begins to snow, do you ask who is making it snow? Of course not, it's a natural occurance caused by something not someone. Same goes with the universe - natural phenomenon.

JMO, but when it begins to snow, do you ask who is making it snow? Of course not, it's a natural occurance caused by something not someone. Same goes with the universe - natural phenomenon.

103553[/snapback]

Well said.

Merlin

Atheist say there is no god so im wondering who did all this then?

1. Were did the universe come from? Were did everything come from?  Was the universe just here and nothing ever made it?  If we went back in time as back, we could go what

Would we see?

No one knows.

2. Who decided earth would have life while the other planets do not have life?  Who decided grass would be green and the sky blue? Who decided the birds would go south for the winter and bears hibernate.

Nobody.

3. Were did religion come from? Seems like since time began theirs been a belief in a creator. If no creator why would the belief start? Why would the belief in life after death start?

103276[/snapback]

Our brains. We seek answers and fear death. When we can't figure out the answers we make them up.

There are many theories about how this universe came to be. One is that it was spawned from the black hole of our "parent" universe, and that black holes in ours spawn "baby universes".

There is a ton of great reading on this subject. Or we could just decide it's too hard to figure out and say God did it.

According to theories of the multiverse, the Big Bang was not a unique event. Instead, numerous "big bangs" have occurred--and continue to do so, in regions beyond our observational horizon. Each "bang" leads to a new universe, one bubble in a vast froth of bubbles. (One might object that the "universe" by definition is everything that exists, but its expanded scope if such theories are correct has given rise to the "universe/multiverse" terminology.) Different universes contain different combinations of forces and particles. If the range of combinations that support life is narrow, then the multiverse might be littered with uninhabited bubbles. But in at least one universe, the "constants" are suitable for carbon-based life.

Is God in the Details?

By Kenneth Silber

The Multiverse theory for the universe has been a recently accepted theory that describes the continuous formation of universes through the collapse of giant stars and the formation of black holes.  With each of these black holes there is a new point of singularity and a new possible universe.  As Rees describes it, "Our universe may be just one element - one atom, as it were - in an infinite ensemble: a cosmic archipelago.  Each universe starts with its own big bang, acquires a distinctive imprint (and its individual physical laws) as it cools, and traces out its own cosmic cycle.  The big bang that triggered our entire universe is, in this grander perspective, an infinitesimal part of an elaborate structure that extends far beyond the range of any telescopes."  (Rees 3)  This puts our place in the Multiverse into a small spectrum.  While the size of the earth in relation to the sun is minuscule, the size of the sun, the solar system, the galaxy, and even the universe, could pale in comparison to this proposed Multiverse.  It would be a shift in thinking that may help explain our big bang theory and possibly give light to the idea of parallel universes.

Article

Rees, Martin. Before the Beginning Reading, MA: Helix Books, 1997.

See also:

Sense And Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism by Richard Carrier

Thinking a creator did it just leads too more questions.

[but how does adding a god to the beginning give an explanation? Where did the god come from? What made the god? etc. The truth is, noone knows yet - not even the people who think a god did it.

I don’t guess it matters if you believe or not.

Anyway, I prefer the question "Is there any reason to believe in a creator?". If one exists, then it doesn't seem to particularly care what you believe - my heathen self has yet to be smited - so I go the path of Occam's razor. No god needed.

103373[/snapback]

Here's a better question:

If God exists, does he shave every morning with an Occam's Razor? :HaHa:

I know fear of no after life scares me. So I can understand that part.

[

I simply think that religion is a reaction to our own survival instincts. After all, we are animals. We are the only animals who worship God because we have the brain capacity to understand that our physical bodies die. As rational as humans are, I believe that our instincts are more powerful than our ability to reason. Giving up religion means more than giving up life after death. It also means giving up the main from of social interaction that some people have. And because we are social animals, this scares some people straight into denial.

103376[/snapback]

That does make life more interesting. It would be boring to know everything

We have evolved to seek answers to the hard questions.  We are not omnipotent, so there will always be unanswered questions.  Without mysteries to solve, life would be boring.  Some questions are merely hard, some may be impossible to answer; that's what keeps life interesting.  Read, study, learn something new every day.

Would we see? Something had too start all this.

There are some really good books on this subject you probably should read. Basically, sometime around 13.7 Billion years ago, the Big Bang occured. Inflationary Theory helps explain what happened next. Matter conjealed, Stars were born, the Universe evolved. Eventually life on Earth evolved so that we can think and reason.

Life may be very common in the Universe. More powerful telescopes and lots more study are needed. However, we are here, so the odds seem to be pretty good. Once the Universe was born, our existence may have been natural and innevitable.

Note: By creator, I do not mean bible god I do not think some dude in a thrones sitting in the universe somewhere.  Im not trying too convert atheist too anything Im just wondering about this. I try too understand people beleafs.

Early man had lots of questions too. Without Science, all he had were supernatural explanations. Everything was the result of gods and spirits, thus Religion. Science tries to answer the same questions, but without the supernatural.

103401[/snapback]

Where’s the critics corner?

SHAMELESS PLUG:

Willy, have you checked the critic's corner? The first post is full of book recommendations for the newly de-converted. You should check it out. I bought some of the books recommended, and they are not too hard to read. There must be about 25 book recommendations from people in this forum.

Check it out when you have the chance.

103407[/snapback]

103796[/snapback]

Here you can see all different sections we have on the site: (you can go there by clicking on text to the top, slightly left, where it says: "ExChristian.Net Forums >>")

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?act=idx

And here's the Critic's Corner:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showforum=15

Ok I see it above humor and satire

103796[/snapback]

Here you can see all different sections we have on the site: (you can go there by clicking on text to the top, slightly left, where it says: "ExChristian.Net Forums >>")

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?act=idx

And here's the Critic's Corner:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showforum=15

103800[/snapback]

1. Were did the universe come from?

Where did the "where" from which the universe came from, come from?

You are compelled to accept that something simply "is" without predecessor. Even if you accept there is an infinite chain of some kind, that just begs the question "why", and you are compelled to simply accept it without further predecessors.

Something had too start all this.

...and if nothing started it, how is that impossible? It is not valid to extend your knowledge of the ordinary to the domain of the extraordinary simply because it feels intuitively right.

3. Were did religion come from?

From correlating the seasons with patterns in the stars and anthropomorphising the star patterns.

but something always comes from something. when you look at nature a tree came from another tree, rain comes from evaporation of water. everything comes from something. if the universe didnt come from something it must be diffrent than anything thats in it.

[Where did the "where" from which the universe came from, come from?

You are compelled to accept that something simply "is" without predecessor. Even if you accept there is an infinite chain of some kind, that just begs the question "why", and you are compelled to simply accept it without further predecessors.

Something had too start all this.

...and if nothing started it, how is that impossible? It is not valid to extend your knowledge of the ordinary to the domain of the extraordinary simply because it feels intuitively right.

3. Were did religion come from?

From correlating the seasons with patterns in the stars and anthropomorphising the star patterns.

103967[/snapback]

but something always comes from something. when you look at nature a tree came from another tree, rain comes from evaporation of water.  everything comes from something.  if the universe didnt come from something it must be diffrent than anything thats in it.

104049[/snapback]

And if the universe came from something, then that something came from something, and then that something came from something... it's called an infinite regression. And it might be so, or it might not.

What you can observe in this universe is that there is a relationship between cause-and-effect. Do we know that it's true for whatever was "before" our universe?

It's a question that currently can't be answered. There are theories that there exists an infinite amount of universes, and we're just one of them, and that each universe has a different set of properties and laws.

At the present moment, it's easier to accept the "not-knowing", than being complete sure. It doesn't stop you from speculation though. You can always think about these things and then maybe settle for the "theory" that fits you best.

if the universe didnt come from something it must be diffrent than anything thats in it.

Why is this is a problem? Why would you expect that the universe itself is subject to the concept of causality when it is the framework within which causality plays out? Does a glass holding water have the same properties as water?

Besides, causality does not appear to even be fundamental within the universe. It applies on the scale of our perceptions, but it isn't clear it applies at more fundamental scales.

if the universe didnt come from something it must be diffrent than anything thats in it.

Why is this is a problem? Why would you expect that the universe itself is subject to the concept of causality when it is the framework within which causality plays out? Does a glass holding water have the same properties as water?

Besides, causality does not appear to even be fundamental within the universe. It applies on the scale of our perceptions, but it isn't clear it applies at more fundamental scales.

104296[/snapback]

And even more, causality seems to break down in quantum mechanics. The quantum entanglement for instance.

That is true the universe may not act the same way the earth does.

I have all these questions and the answers I get lead too more questions.

I guess theirs no definite answer

but something always comes from something. when you look at nature a tree came from another tree, rain comes from evaporation of water.  everything comes from something.  if the universe didnt come from something it must be diffrent than anything thats in it.

104049[/snapback]

And if the universe came from something, then that something came from something, and then that something came from something... it's called an infinite regression. And it might be so, or it might not.

What you can observe in this universe is that there is a relationship between cause-and-effect. Do we know that it's true for whatever was "before" our universe?

It's a question that currently can't be answered. There are theories that there exists an infinite amount of universes, and we're just one of them, and that each universe has a different set of properties and laws.

At the present moment, it's easier to accept the "not-knowing", than being complete sure. It doesn't stop you from speculation though. You can always think about these things and then maybe settle for the "theory" that fits you best.

104187[/snapback]

I wish I knew the answer too that I guess I thought everything ran like earth does

But when I think about it don’t. I mean mars isn’t like earth

104296[/snapback]

Im going too have too study science I have no idea what any of that is.

I watch the discovery channel but i have not seen anything on that

104296[/snapback]

And even more, causality seems to break down in quantum mechanics. The quantum entanglement for instance.

104297[/snapback]

I have all these questions and the answers I get lead too more questions.

This is the true path to wisdom Willbilly. Keep this attitude and you can't help but become a better person. Remember, it's not the goal (all the answers), it's the journey (searching for answers) that's important...

:thanks: