Goodbye Jesus

Almost Got Sucked Back In Last Night

kclark

It seems like ever since I've told my pastor I'm quitting my position as a musician, everyone I come in contact with seems to know of someone who needs a part-time/full-time musician for their church. And said churches are offering salaries at three to four times what I was making before. My mother's been telling me about wanted ads in the paper posted by local churches. A few weeks ago my uncle (a minister) mentioned a preacher he knew was looking for a musician. Then yesterday a woman at a salon told me a church was offering between $300-$600 a Sunday! Then that same evening another church musician I know told me he knew of a few churches that were in need. What is this, a conspiracy! Where were all these opportunities when I actually believed in Sky Daddy lol? It's like looking into a roomful of desserts you can never eat. Or looking at prime rib and saying "No thanks, I'll have cheese and crackers instead."

Part of me wants to call them and see what's what, but I know that's my greed talking. I have a full-time and a part-time job right now, so all my basic needs are covered, but having that extra money each would help pay off some other bills a lot sooner. But I just can't see myself playing in worship services anymore. Deep down I know I couldn't stomach it, and I'm not a cold enough bastard to just swoop in, take the money and leave once I've gotten what needed:).

I guess there's not much of point to this post, I just felt like venting. If god or whatever it is really is out there, he certainly has a sense of humor.

Yeah, that's truly twisted.

It's similar to my situation. I've been a software engineer for a very long time, and a few years ago I got tired of it. I was burned out and washed, so I decided leave and go back to school and get some degree and take it from there. Recently, I've been offered jobs left and right, and it's really good pay, much better than I ever had before. But I don't want to quit the new path I'm on...

Part of me wants to call them and see what's what, but I know that's my greed talking. I have a full-time and a part-time job right now, so all my basic needs are covered, but having that extra money each would help pay off some other bills a lot sooner. But I just can't see myself playing in worship services anymore. Deep down I know I couldn't stomach it, and I'm not a cold enough bastard to just swoop in, take the money and leave once I've gotten what needed:).

I was going to say "Why not?" because I don't have a problem with nonsense music. I don't have to believe the words to enjoy the sound and most worship songs are not too bad. But then the next though I had was "They would make you stay and listen to the sermon". That would not be worth the money. When a preacher starts spouting hate and calling it love I can't stay in the room so I don't blame you. Stick to who you are.

I was going to say "Why not?" because I don't have a problem with nonsense music. I don't have to believe the words to enjoy the sound and most worship songs are not too bad. But then the next though I had was "They would make you stay and listen to the sermon". That would not be worth the money. When a preacher starts spouting hate and calling it love I can't stay in the room so I don't blame you. Stick to who you are.

That's exactly my problem. I love music, so I really wouldn't be bothered that much by that (as long as I ignore the words), but if I go into a new church and the pastor speaking bs, then I'm trapped

I would stay and listen to the sermon for $600 a Sunday...

I would stay and listen to the sermon for $600 a Sunday...

At this point I need a job of any kind so bad I would do it too.

Yikes I'm working for a church right now. I'm required to go to ALL the sermons. I can't stand it. Trust me and stay away! It's like being force-fed hate pudding!

• Like 2

Yikes I'm working for a church right now. I'm required to go to ALL the sermons. I can't stand it. Trust me and stay away! It's like being force-fed hate pudding!

I'd consider it research for my blog. Listen to the sermon, take notes, shred it on Monday, all on their dime.

Oh, and of course give the congregation a nice music experience :)

It's like being force-fed hate pudding!

I think this is my new favorite phrase.

I had a crappy job for a long time. But it made good money. I didnt like the boss, didnt agree with policy but it made good money. :-) I talked to morons on a phone. They called me all sorts of obscene names and verbally abused me, but I made more money than a lot of them. While Steve Jobs feels we should do something we love, the fact is that I don't think there is not much money in sitting on my ass playing videogames... :) Most of the people do jobs they hate because that's what was available at the time. The only reason I worked was for the money.

After a while you don't much care what you do as long as it pulls in some money, so don't feel hypocrital if you dont love jebus anymore but instead only enjoy the money that this fictional character brings you. Look at Hollywood. Consider yourself part of an entertainment package. You are providing a musical service and they are paying for it.

• Like 1

there is ONLY 1 steve jobs, although there are million aspiring to be him,,,,

many people work because they need to live,,,,,not many have that choice,,,,

at US$600 per session, $30,000 per annum, well, i think i would survive $30,000 for 52 weeks provided i dont have to believe the shit, attend too many rehearsals, lead prayers i don't believe,,,,,

if just to play music,,,, why not

I'd consider it research for my blog. Listen to the sermon, take notes, shred it on Monday, all on their dime.

Oh, and of course give the congregation a nice music experience smile.png

Been and there done that already lol. It was good for working out why I didn't believe (not to mention cathartic), but its get old after a while.

I know most of you guys are half joking/being sarcastic about taking the money and running, but for me, being a church musician wasn't just a gig or providing Holy Ghost Entertainment. I truly considered it ministry, and believed at the time that God was using me and the choirs I played for to minister to the audience. Now that I don't, it would just wrong and deceitful to continue to do it, especially since I have secular jobs already. If it was just playing for someone weddings or singing a religious song as part of a male chorus or something (both of which I've done in the past), then I wouldn't think twice about takin' the cash, cashin' the check and showin' 'em what they wanna see.

I see if anyone catches what I'm referencing in the last sentence lol.

Oh, and of course give the congregation a nice music experience smile.png

Been and there done that already lol. It was good for working out why I didn't believe (not to mention cathartic), but its get old after a while.

I know most of you guys are half joking/being sarcastic about taking the money and running, but for me, being a church musician wasn't just a gig or providing Holy Ghost Entertainment. I truly considered it ministry, and believed at the time that God was using me and the choirs I played for to minister to the audience. Now that I don't, it would just wrong and deceitful to continue to do it, especially since I have secular jobs already. If it was just playing for someone weddings or singing a religious song as part of a male chorus or something (both of which I've done in the past), then I wouldn't think twice about takin' the cash, cashin' the check and showin' 'em what they wanna see.

I see if anyone catches what I'm referencing in the last sentence lol.

I don't know the ref, but I know what you mean. Obviously my comments are tongue-in-cheek. When I made my deconversion official at the beginning of August, I had been the worship leader of my little CBA church for about 8 years. I was, with a friend and his daugther on drums, the music of that church, part of the fabric. My leaving has shaken things up a little bit, but I'm still in touch with several people there who have been very careful to give me my space and just be friendly. It's a pretty good outcome overall.

In fact, we had a nice sound system because I won a $13,000 sound system from Sweetwater and donated it to them (cause what am I going to do with it? And I didn't want to pay the taxes.) I'm still glad I did that, and I wish them all the love and peace in the world. And if they offered me money to stick around, I wouldn't take it, of course :)

But it's funny to think about...

Do you give music lessons? It sounds like you're talented enough to make some money on the side teaching. Maybe out of your house or at a music store? Just a suggestion