Goodbye Jesus

Hey, Nice Blinders...

ToonForever

[rant]

Okay, I do believe if one more Christian tells me that *I* have blinders on because I don't accept his/her version of scientific theory in which God did whatever it is we can't yet explain, I do believe I am going to take a baseball bat to the first church sign I find with some cutesy Christianese message...

[/rant]

Thank you for listening.

I really regret how little I know about basic scientific fundamentals thanks to Christianity. I refused to listen to anything remotely scientific. Just totally tuned out. So now I have to start from scratch. I just feel so ignorant, like I'm scientifically illiterate. Ah well. At least my future father-in-law will now have something to talk about :)

I had to keep blinders on the entire time I was a Christian. I have always been interested in science, but whenever I would read science articles, I would have to pass them through the "God filter." Whatever an article happened to be about, I had to keep telling myself, "Well, that's what the scientists have led themselves to believe" or, "They just don't know any better because they don't understand God." At some point, I just stopped passing everything through the filter, because it was becoming tiresome to do so, and I started feeling ridiculous doing it.

Scientists see the world the way it is because that's the way the world is. God didn't change the speed of light to make the universe look like it's billions of years old when it's really only a few thousand years old; he didn't allow Satan to bury fossils in the ground to mislead us into thinking that evolution happened when in fact it really didn't. The universe looks like it's billions of years old because it is. Animals look like they are the product of evolution because they are. That's it. End of story. To believe anything else, to deny the facts and reality, requires putting on blinders of spirituality.

It's so refreshing to read science articles now and not have to pass them through the filter anymore.

Hey Trapped, I read your ex-timony before, and it saddened me. Broke my heart, might be a more descriptive way of putting it. I was wondering how things were going for you with your family and the church and the situation you're in. How are you, yourself, going with everything? If you don't mind me asking :)

At the moment, as far as science and everything in between is concerned, I feel as though I'm beginning to realise just how little I actually know, about everything. There is so much to learn! And I start uni on the 28th, so I have so little time before I have very little spare time :( Ah well. No point trying to learn everything all at once, I'll only end up frying my brain lol :)

I really regret how little I know about basic scientific fundamentals thanks to Christianity. I refused to listen to anything remotely scientific. Just totally tuned out. So now I have to start from scratch. I just feel so ignorant, like I'm scientifically illiterate. Ah well. At least my future father-in-law will now have something to talk about smile.png

Well, those religious people seem to muddle through life, ignoring science that competes with their religion. smile.png I think you will be ok. Besides, some people tune out science because they think it's boring. And some science isn't essential to maintaining your own life on this planet...like for instance, how the universe came about.

I had to keep blinders on the entire time I was a Christian. I have always been interested in science, but whenever I would read science articles, I would have to pass them through the "God filter." Whatever an article happened to be about, I had to keep telling myself, "Well, that's what the scientists have led themselves to believe" or, "They just don't know any better because they don't understand God." At some point, I just stopped passing everything through the filter, because it was becoming tiresome to do so, and I started feeling ridiculous doing it.

Scientists see the world the way it is because that's the way the world is. God didn't change the speed of light to make the universe look like it's billions of years old when it's really only a few thousand years old; he didn't allow Satan to bury fossils in the ground to mislead us into thinking that evolution happened when in fact it really didn't. The universe looks like it's billions of years old because it is. Animals look like they are the product of evolution because they are. That's it. End of story. To believe anything else, to deny the facts and reality, requires putting on blinders of spirituality.

It's so refreshing to read science articles now and not have to pass them through the filter anymore.

I must have been a very bad Christian because I didn't filter science through the Jebus filter. At least not that I remember. Then again, I was only in the cult 10 years. But I do remember saying, "Goddammit" then countering it with "Sorry, God" , numerous times....talk about ridiculous. lol.

• Like 1

I really regret how little I know about basic scientific fundamentals thanks to Christianity. I refused to listen to anything remotely scientific. Just totally tuned out. So now I have to start from scratch. I just feel so ignorant, like I'm scientifically illiterate. Ah well. At least my future father-in-law will now have something to talk about smile.png

Well, those religious people seem to muddle through life, ignoring science that competes with their religion. smile.png I think you will be ok. Besides, some people tune out science because they think it's boring. And some science isn't essential to maintaining your own life on this planet...like for instance, how the universe came about.

Thanks midniterider :) But I think there are some things I have to learn- like what exactly did happen to those dinosaurs rofl :P

I must have been a very bad Christian because I didn't filter science through the Jebus filter. At least not that I remember. Then again, I was only in the cult 10 years. But I do remember saying, "Goddammit" then countering it with "Sorry, God" , numerous times....talk about ridiculous. lol.

I used to apologise to God, and then apologise for apologising. Then I'd spend the next half hour apologising to God. Sometimes I couldn't even sleep, I was so busy apologising to God. And all day long I'd be apologising to God, for every stupid little thing! Now THAT'S crazy!! lol

...Christian... scientific...

Bzzzzzzt! Incompatibility detected! Terminating reading process...

:lmao:

Seriously, show me one anti-science morontheist who understands even the basics of how science works.

Seriously, show me one anti-science morontheist who understands even the basics of how science works.

You know, I've been sitting here the last 10 minutes trying to debate the above statement in my mind. On the one hand, I think to myself, surely it is possible, right? I mean... And then I end up stuck with the buts. But that contradicts that, and you'd have to ignore that to accept that, in which case are you still christian or already on the road to deconverting, is it that you accept one consciously, but in reality the other sub-consciously...

Thanks for the headache, Thurisaz. No doubt my fiancee and I are going to be involved in a debate tonight. I can just see the next few weeks in front of me, walking around, thinking, "Is it possible? Is it possible? Is it possible? Yes? No? But, but, but..." LOL :P I'll let you know if I ever come to a conclusion on that one lol :P

Its strange how the christians I grew up with were also teachers, so they had to accept science. My mother taught 6th grade, math, english and science. My father was an industrial arts teacher/iron worker so he had to accept science with his teaching. I mean he couldn't tell his class that god magically bonds two pieces of metal together if they touch them together with the magically spiritually sparking stick...ie stick welder. Or explain how heat tempering was what happens to metal when god is unhappy with it and makes it hard and brittle. Lets not even try to explain Auto Cad. So I guess I was lucky in that my parents didn't apply the god theory to everything that happens in life. I was actually encouraged to take part in science fairs. I was also encouraged to take Industrial Technology as my major in college. So I guess my christian up bringing wasn't as bad as others. My grandparents on the other hand, hated cards, dice, working on the sabbath, quite a bit of what my parents allowed at home. When I would have to stay with them for a weekend or a week it was hell!! Pure hell!

Unfortunately, the religious blinders are not just reserved for science, but history, politics...well, just about everything! My church was so anti-intellectual that they encouraged young people NOT to go to university if they couldn't go to an approved christian college. They were terrified of "secular" institutions, and i guess rightly so since so many young people who get edukated end up walking away from their faith!

[snip]

Scientists see the world the way it is because that's the way the world is. God didn't change the speed of light to make the universe look like it's billions of years old when it's really only a few thousand years old; he didn't allow Satan to bury fossils in the ground to mislead us into thinking that evolution happened when in fact it really didn't. The universe looks like it's billions of years old because it is. Animals look like they are the product of evolution because they are. That's it. End of story.

[snip]

I'm waiting for a debate on this with someone. When he or she pulls the "God did that just to mislead us," line, my answer will be: "So you worship a god who lies to you?"

[snip]

Scientists see the world the way it is because that's the way the world is. God didn't change the speed of light to make the universe look like it's billions of years old when it's really only a few thousand years old; he didn't allow Satan to bury fossils in the ground to mislead us into thinking that evolution happened when in fact it really didn't. The universe looks like it's billions of years old because it is. Animals look like they are the product of evolution because they are. That's it. End of story.

[snip]

I'm waiting for a debate on this with someone. When he or she pulls the "God did that just to mislead us," line, my answer will be: "So you worship a god who lies to you?"

Oh but God CAN'T lie apparently.

I often see that Christian arguments against science are often lies by omission. For example, the "missing link" that is in the theory of evolution is pointed at and ridiculed simply because it hasn't been found yet. That's how my father refutes evolution. He goes "They still haven't found that missing link, because macro-evolution doesn't work. They never WILL find that link either."

Even if the scientists eventually find and PROVE that they have the missing link and that evolution is 100% scientifically verifiable, Christians and those of other religions will find a way to deny or ignore it.

[snip]

[snip]

I have pointed out in debates that there is no functional difference between an earth that is 4.5 billion years old, and an earth that was made by God 6000 years ago to look like it's 4.5 billion years old, especially when this same God has apparently taken great pains to make it look like he had no involvement in the process. Also, if he did create the Universe in such a manner, then it contradicts the Biblical creation account anyway.

[snip]

[snip]

They get around that by saying "Satan did it".

MM

i myself was not completly arrogant of science when i left christianity however i was arrogant of things like evolution and physics.

the thing im shamed of the most is that i blindly acepted the age of the earth as 6000 years old and that dinosaurs had saddles. the same person who told me this is a guy who thinks that rome came before babylon and that the catholic church was created by Nero. no fact no evidence, simply assumptions assumptions that they themselves had probly never studued itheir.

i now find great pleasure learning about somthing i was lied to and missinformed about my entire life, as now i am reading the "ancestors tale" by richard dawkins.

...Even if the scientists eventually find and PROVE that they have the missing link and that evolution is 100% scientifically verifiable, Christians and those of other religions will find a way to deny or ignore it.

By the morontheist definition, wherever there's any gap between two fossils there's the missing link they "know" disproves ebilushen™. By any reasonable definition, the missing link has long been found.

Of course, whatever piece of evidence you present to the brainfucked, they will just say that there's now two gaps (between the former points on the scale and your evidence, respectively). They do it all the time.

Just point at them and laugh... or give them the Finger. Or both. They are not worth consuming more of your time.