Atempting To Break Free

Kaiser01

i have considered myself a atheist for about a year now but every time i think im getting free of the religion i fall back a step.

i know all the logic of why religion is a human institution and why the idea of god is a sadist one. but somthing inside me wont let me get away. i think the problem comes in in that im constantly engrossed by christianity and i feel like i must refute it but its taking a tole on me.

when the brain is constantly stimulated by somthing the mind goes through somthing called sensory adaptation(i belive this is the correct term). sensory adaptation is where the brain will grow acustomed to a constant stimuli and i think this has happend to me in a way.

my brain has actualy become bored of being an athiest.

the same thing can happen to christians when their on their jesus high's, they constantly stimulate their brain with christianity but eventualy they stop "feeling it". i think it would be better if i could get away from christianity all together but that would be greatly dificult.

im currious of your thoughts on this idea, that some one can actualy get bored of being a atheist when their continusly forced to think about it.

Give it time.

Seriously.

Eventually your mind/emotions/whatever will move beyond religion and your need to constantly refute it, but depending on how deeply ingrained it was into your thinking it may take longer than it does for some people. I think I stopped worrying about this sort of thing after about 2 years of considering myself an atheist. It takes time for your brain to adjust to not seeing or first interpreting things through a religious haze and having to adjust accordingly.

You say you're being forced to think about it so I'm not really clear on why atheism bores you and not religious discussion/thought entirely.

After surrounding myself with atheist related materials for the past couple years, sure, I've gotten bored too. All the books and speeches and YouTube videos regurgitating the same arguments ... but then it's just our answer to the god question, not anything more. You can join atheist groups and slap a Darwin fish on your car,, but it really ends there. Freeing you from living under this horrible idea.

… which is why it's important to look for ways to give yourself whatever Christianity gave you or made a hollow promise to give you. Atheism and what we normally associate with it can only do so much.

I'd like to get to the point where I'm always well prepared to defend my nonbelief but not let it or religion have any significance to me otherwise.

Old fashioned advice, but just keep yourself busy.

From my understanding of it, sensory adaptation only applies to stimulus that act on the senses. I don't think that it's related to your situation.

I see religious highs as a trance-like state that gives the same feelings as light hypnosis or meditation. I suspect they stop feeling it because they don't understand it in the first place and make some change that prevents them from getting it again.

Your case reminds me of (theoretical) hedonic adaptation. Active atheism has become the norm for you. Thinking about it constantly is just normal, daily life for you now, and the stress from it might be catching up with you. It's kind of like the sensory thing but not exactly the same.

I do agree about keeping busy. Find something else to work on too; we're often happier working towards a goal than we are after we obtain it.

the same thing can happen to christians when their on their jesus high's, they constantly stimulate their brain with christianity but eventualy they stop "feeling it". i think it would be better if i could get away from christianity all together but that would be greatly dificult.

im currious of your thoughts on this idea, that some one can actualy get bored of being a atheist when their continusly forced to think about it.

I don't know from experience. I can't get to atheism. But people can get bored over just about anything. The feeling of it being fresh and new wears off and things become normal. It doesn't have to be a bad thing. As for your tendency for theism don't beat yourself up too much about it. It's possible that it's a hold over from your ancestors. We evolved a brain that looks for cause and effect. Maybe religion is part of our instinct.

MM

• Like 1

my brain has actualy become bored of being an athiest.

You cracked me up with that one.

Why do you have to label yourself an atheist?

Maybe you should become a pantheist for a while and see if that helps?

Who makes the rules anyways. Bust free!