Goodbye Jesus

" This Is The Kind Of People We Attract. Why Is That? "

Thought2Much

This was what my wife said to her brother on the phone today, in reference to the kinds of people we get at our church. Let's just say that most of them don't function very well in the real world.

Could it possibly be that our religion, even according to most other religious groups, is fucking insane? Could it be that the whole "speaking in tongues" and giving "prophecies" bit predominantly attracts total wackos? Exactly how many of these folks would qualify for anything near "normal?" I can name a few, but only a few.

If only she could open her eyes and see why we attract so many raving nutters.

This was what my wife said to her brother on the phone today, in reference to the kinds of people we get at our church. Let's just say that most of them don't function very well in the real world.

Could it possibly be that our religion, even according to most other religious groups, is fucking insane? Could it be that the whole "speaking in tongues" and giving "prophecies" bit predominantly attracts total wackos? Exactly how many of these folks would qualify for anything near "normal?" I can name a few, but only a few.

wacko.pngTrapped, you are right! Crazy, lonely, hoping for better, looking for a true 'un - dysfunctional' family, highly emotional, desperate to be loved, suckers like me got 'pulled' in! I would have put a snake around my neck if I thought I was going to get a large 'blessing' from the big guy !! they told me I would be able to perform magic with god............I melted.......I was putty in their hands......

I used to be fairly crazy, but now I'm tottally nuts! wacko.pngGONZ9729CustomImage1541245.gif

When people are certain in their own delusional minds that god speaks to them and shows them visions of the future, they seek out likewise delusional people for support. That's how religion grows.

...in reference to the kinds of people we get at our church. Let's just say that most of them don't function very well in the real world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...so many raving nutters.

Hello Trapped!

This has been my observation also re: "raving nutters". The excuse my church gave me for the higher-than-average prevalence of "raving nutters" was that "the church is a hospital" i.e. people go because they are needy. Well, I'd say it's more like a psychiatric ward.

My goodness, I had people in the prayer "ministry" getting me to pray for them when I went up for prayer. One of these nutters was actually delusional (but hey, "God works in mysterious ways!"). I actually did read somewhere that Christianity, especially anything charismatic, tends to draw the mentally infirm. One need only glance around the congregation to see that.

Church is a great place to learn about psychiatry and abnormal psychology. I think we should write a book called:

• Everything I Need To Know About Psychiatry I Learned In Church
  • The Pocket DSM-IV for Churchgoers
  • Loco Loco in Jesus Land

I hope your wife realizes soon what's going on.....

• Like 2

Positivist, your (brilliant) ideas for psychology books got me to thinking about another wonderful thing at my church.

For a while, our pastor allowed one couple to do "spiritual counseling" at our church. Not only are these people not qualified as counselors, but they are probably two of the dumbest people at our church, which is saying quite a lot, believe me. Plus if a guy like me, who has a degree from an art college fer cryin' out pete's sake, can look at you and say that you're dumb, you're DUMB.

So that makes me wonder just how desperate one has to be to go to knuckleheads like this for "counseling." What kind of advice could they possibly have to give? Don't answer that, because I really just don't want to think about it very much.

I'm not sure why the pastor finally decided to stop the "counseling." Perhaps he was hit by a blinding flash of reality. Or maybe someone complained.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.

I think we should write a book called:

If you call it that then Christians will buy it thinking that it outlines Biblical teachings that cover Psychiatry. WendyDoh.gif

• Like 1

If you call it that then Christians will buy it thinking that it outlines Biblical teachings that cover Psychiatry. WendyDoh.gif

LOL! Too true!! Oh well.... Wendyshrug.gif

You say this like it's a bad thing.

• Like 1

Check out this link regarding speaking in tongues... lol... I like the comparison with schizophrenia...http://www.skepdic.com/glossol.html

Unless you're in a conservative church, being a little crazy can be a real benefit. You're more likely to "see visions", "hear the voice of God", "detect demons", etc. As an insane person in a charismatic church, you could very well be considered one of THE most spiritual people there! Who could say no to that? Instant popularity! Just be sure to have enough lucid times so people don't catch on....

For a while, our pastor allowed one couple to do "spiritual counseling" at our church. Not only are these people not qualified as counselors, but they are probably two of the dumbest people at our church, which is saying quite a lot, believe me.

~~~

So that makes me wonder just how desperate one has to be to go to knuckleheads like this for "counseling." What kind of advice could they possibly have to give? Don't answer that, because I really just don't want to think about it very much.

LOL!!

I know you said, "Don't answer that" but I just have to!

• Psychology can't be trusted--it's not Biblical.
  • The wisdom of man is not worth anything. (All those Phds? Rubbish.)
  • God can speak to average (and dumb freak3.gif ) people because they are not inhibited by their useless worldly knowledge. i.e., they are unencumbered by intelligence.
  • Only people in the church can really be trusted to give guidance.
  • All problems are of spiritual origin. Therefore, only the church can help you.
  • Fundamental Christianity is the Only TrueTM Kind of Christianity!

I can't believe I used to believe that shit. Man, I was deep into it! WendyDoh.gif

Check out this link regarding speaking in tongues... lol... I like the comparison with schizophrenia...http://www.skepdic.com/glossol.html

Thanks for the link. I've done a good bit of reading on Skepdic, even before my deconversion. There's a lot of good stuff there.

For a while, our pastor allowed one couple to do "spiritual counseling" at our church. Not only are these people not qualified as counselors, but they are probably two of the dumbest people at our church, which is saying quite a lot, believe me.

~~~

LOL!!

I know you said, "Don't answer that" but I just have to!

• Psychology can't be trusted--it's not Biblical.
  • The wisdom of man is not worth anything. (All those Phds? Rubbish.)
  • God can speak to average (and dumb freak3.gif ) people because they are not inhibited by their useless worldly knowledge. i.e., they are unencumbered by intelligence.
  • Only people in the church can really be trusted to give guidance.
  • All problems are of spiritual origin. Therefore, only the church can help you.
  • Fundamental Christianity is the Only TrueTM Kind of Christianity!

I can't believe I used to believe that shit. Man, I was deep into it! WendyDoh.gif

Are you trying to make me nauseous right now? tongue.png

Some churches ARE like hospitals. Many times a church will focus on healing ministries and "ministry" to felt needs and recovery. Of course this attracts people who need those kinds of services, errr, "ministries."

Other churches are more interested in reflecting the social status of it's leaders and maintaining an air of respectability in the community.

It's all abut the focus of the individual church. The church's focus determines the kind of clientele, err, membership that will be there.

• Like 1

You know, I have bipolar. And there's rarely a day that goes by when I don't look around and think, "and I'm the one on medication??!!"

• Like 3

Pass the intellectual metoclopramide, please!

You know, I have bipolar. And there's rarely a day that goes by when I don't look around and think, "and I'm the one on medication??!!"

I'm just quoting this because I thought it was hilarious.

A number of years ago, I actually made a statement to my wife that was very similar to the one my wife said to her brother that kicked off this thread. At the time, she thought I was being harsh and mean. Maybe she's starting to see the whole thing more objectively. As for myself, I feel like I'm visiting an asylum every time I step foot in an Assemblies of God church.

Pass the intellectual metoclopramide, please!

Hahahaha!

Pretends to know what metoclopramide is while running off to look it up on Google...

• Like 1

You know, Trapped, I think this is the first glimmer of hope. The fact that your wife is wondering why all these nutters are drawn to your church is obviously causing her to question something. And there is a reason. Maybe your patience is paying off. Be strong! smile.png

You know, Trapped, I think this is the first glimmer of hope. The fact that your wife is wondering why all these nutters are drawn to your church is obviously causing her to question something. And there is a reason. Maybe your patience is paying off. Be strong! smile.png

Perhaps, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. She may eventually want to leave the Assemblies of God, especially if her father passes away or retires (I may have mentioned he's already in his eighties). She has mentioned that she has never spoken in tongues before, and I think she's also said that she's never seen a bona fide miracle, either (even though her father claims he's seen plenty; how come I never see them when I've been hanging around the family for well over a decade, now, huh?). She may want us to look for a less wacky branch of Christianity some day, but I still don't see her being accepting of the fact that I no longer believe at all.

Or maybe I just need to wait another ten years or so.

All the above causes me to wonder if it would be fun to be a bit of a reverse troll and go in there playing the game in a big way, to see how far you could push it. I wonder if anyone would pick up on your scheme. You'd have to start off carefully and then take it farther and farther, trying to gauge how far you could go, trying to back off a little so you are at the limit of what they would tolerate.

• Like 1

All the above causes me to wonder if it would be fun to be a bit of a reverse troll and go in there playing the game in a big way, to see how far you could push it. I wonder if anyone would pick up on your scheme. You'd have to start off carefully and then take it farther and farther, trying to gauge how far you could go, trying to back off a little so you are at the limit of what they would tolerate.

I have been thinking lately that it would be fun to say I went into the woods and had a squirrel talk to me. I could spin the yarn out into a big, long story, even. Then, if anyone finally questions about whether I actually believe that a squirrel was talking to me, I could reply, "Why not? Don't you believe that a snake talked to Adam and Eve? Or do you not believe the Bible?"

I would love to see what kind of reaction I would get from that.

Edit to add: I think that would probably end up being my last day at church, whether I wanted to stay or not.

• Like 1

She has mentioned that she has never spoken in tongues before, and I think she's also said that she's never seen a bona fide miracle, either (even though her father claims he's seen plenty; how come I never see them when I've been hanging around the family for well over a decade, now, huh?). She may want us to look for a less wacky branch of Christianity some day, but I still don't see her being accepting of the fact that I no longer believe at all.

Hmmm. The funny thing with faith is that there seems to be some neural pathways that either support or don't support it (or varying degrees in between). For me, I didn't lose my faith--I lost my very capacity for faith. I feel like my faith is like a bucket, and one day I looked down and in my hand is just the handle. If an autopsy were to be done on my faith, one would find that my faith had simply atrophied and died of natural causes. It happened all by itself, despite my fighting to retain it.

All this to say--I think you're right. Even though your wife lacks evidence (tongues, healings) she still has faith. She can't make her faith disappear any more than you and I can conjure it up.

Hang in there, and keep us posted. I'm glad you're here at Ex-C!

• Like 1

LOL! I feel an institutional ethnography coming on.

My only problem is that I'm a terrible actor and I suck at deception!

Still....I dream of pulling something off like this.

I have been thinking lately that it would be fun to say I went into the woods and had a squirrel talk to me. I could spin the yarn out into a big, long story, even. Then, if anyone finally questions about whether I actually believe that a squirrel was talking to me, I could reply, "Why not? Don't you believe that a snake talked to Adam and Eve? Or do you not believe the Bible?"

It would be fun to be really subtle--close enough that it could be true but just a bit off to make them walk away and go..."huh?"

Too bad we have these darn morals that don't let us play with others like this.