Goodbye Jesus

My Long Rambly Story

lilcoppertop

I haven't really been interested in science until recently, so I think I emptied the kids astronomy section. =D

There are threads on the site in which I have learned quite a bit about science. Take a break from the library and browse through them. The discussions are interesting and even intense (in the lion's den).

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep an eye out for those threads. There's a lot I still haven't read here, and the lion's den is one of the places I haven't really ventured yet.

I hope your kids will be fine with this. I take it they don't know yet? Hopefully relationship will be more important to them than religion, especially if they don't deconvert. Dang christian upbringing still pops up and I almost typed "I'll pray for you" even though I know very well I won't! LOL! Funny how that happens!

The kids don't know yet. We think they will be fine. We have never forced them into religion. Never forced family bible studies, etc. Our 14 year old son is a freethinker so no problems there I think. Our 16 year old daughter is much more of a performer, but she has never really been into church other than the acceptance aspect of it. I think she will do good too, just not sure when/how to discuss with her. I get what you are saying with the "I'll pray for you"...30+ years for me is tough to change smile.png

That sounds rather encouraging, actually. Quite likely if you're open with her about your questions but continue to leave her religion-related decisions and beliefs up to her she'll be ok. I know for myself, I have enjoyed being a part of my parents' journey of changing beliefs. That is, in the sense that most of the things they've questioned (even while still in the church) have been treated as a sort of on-going family discussion, so I've seen and contributed to the evolution of ideas and beliefs instead of them working through stuff and later telling me "yeah, we don't believe that anymore". Of course, when I was younger I just automatically adopted whatever their new beliefs were, whereas now I'm discovering my own. Your daughter might appreciate this kind of approach...maybe...

That is a good point. I kinda like the idea of a human-like god (as in, one with personality), but that's quite likely because I grew up with the idea. I intend on doing a lot of reading in the future, and am a HUGE fan of my local library system! LOL! Was just there this afternoon. I haven't really been interested in science until recently, so I think I emptied the kids astronomy section. =D Having been reading more about god and different religions in this last year, I thought I could do with a break and learn something entirely different.

Bill Nye the Science Guywas amazing when I was young. I don't know how much science you know, but if you can find the show online, it might be a good basic overview of nearly all science. Museums can be fun too if you have a good one in your area. Yay science. ^^

Thanks for the suggestion CatholiKitty. I don't know much....it was never a subject that really interested me. I'm sure youtube'll probably have some Bill Nye. =)