Goodbye Jesus

Psilocybin Sacrament

PandaPirate

TheHolyMushroom-cover-3.5.jpg

Uncovering the role that hallucinogenic plants played in the development of Judaism and Christianity begins with understanding pre-Christian fertility rituals, says author and independent researcher Jan Irvin. “When survival depended on the fertility of the earth, and fertility was a gift of the gods, people sought to promote fertility by appealing to divine power. The swiftest and surest way to know the mind of god was through the use of herbal drugs.”

In his most recent book, The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity, Irvin revisits the groundbreaking 1970 work of John Allegro, titled The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, in which Allegro argued that Christianity was intentionally devised to disguise the activities of a secret mushroom cult, whose teachings were eventually forgotten.

Irvin builds on evidence suggesting that elements of ancient religion, including the ritual use of Amanita muscaria, the sacred mushroom, survived into Medieval times. Allegro’s primary example of this is the basis for Irvin’s new research – the presence of a thirteenth-century fresco in Plaincourault, France that illustrates Amanita muscaria as the Tree of Life.

The concept that human contact with hallucinogenic plants has played a major role in shaping history is rapidly gaining traction and Irvin’s work helps to advance this area of study.

I remember the first time I heard about Amanita was in the Zeitgeist movie. I've been fascinated by it ever since. I found this today and am printing it out to read. It looks really interesting. Since this has to do with the "science" of ingesting mushrooms and its effects and also has to do with how the amanita is incorporated into some religous experience, I thought I'd post this here. Hope it's in the right place :)

I also found this .pdf online and am taking it home to read tonight.

http://www.ambrosiasociety.org/files/herbofimmortality.pdf

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I mentioned in your other thread that my experiences with Amanitas compared to regular purple caps was weak sauce, but I can certainly see the role hallucinogens play in spirituality beyond the obvious. Tripping with people creates a close bond and ultimately, that's what organized religion is about. Right? Fellowship. There is even a Christian church who tried to get legal permission from the government to use the tryptamine DiPT during services. I don't know if they won or not, but that's the kind of church service I could get into!

The island of patmus, the island where john was exiled to when he wrote the book of revelation, has some of the most potent mushrooms in the world.

mmm

Moses didn't see a Burning Bush. He was trippin.

I always assumed burning bush was code for naked ginger.