Goodbye Jesus

Does Your Mouth Get You In Trouble?

Gamecock1973

No, I don't mean expressing your opinions...I mean having a new and more "colorful" vocabulary. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif Since my de-conversion, I'm not quite as conservative in my expressions. I don't swear like a sailor (yet!), but I do believe that some circumstances call for more extreme language than "darn" or "shoot" or "crap," etc. I've also fallen into the habit of muttering "Jesus!" whenever something ridiculous comes across my path. I'm not sure if taking my imaginary former lord's name in vain is giving him too much credit, but..

So, when around your christian family or old christian friends, do you ever blurt out an expletive that causes an immediate awkward silence in the room? I always try to be on my best behavior in these situations, but, pardon the expression, shit happens! hehe.

If anything, I tend to deliberately use various expletives that are laced with religious words around my fundy mother!!

So, when around your christian family or old christian friends, do you ever blurt out an expletive that causes an immediate awkward silence in the room? I always try to be on my best behavior in these situations...

This is my WORST NIGHTMARE. According to my fundy-in-laws, swearing is worse than smoking or beating your wife! It's worse than not tithing!

I sometimes swear--just not around family. They would probably envision me impaled on the spittle over a roasting fire if I did that. I'm so afraid I'll slip up. Ack!

So, when around your christian family or old christian friends, do you ever blurt out an expletive that causes an immediate awkward silence in the room? I always try to be on my best behavior in these situations...

This is my WORST NIGHTMARE. According to my fundy-in-laws, swearing is worse than smoking or beating your wife! It's worse than not tithing!

I sometimes swear--just not around family. They would probably envision me impaled on the spittle over a roasting fire if I did that. I'm so afraid I'll slip up. Ack!

Yes my family is the same! That is why it is so dramatic, because NOBODY talks like this!

Yes my family is the same! That is why it is so dramatic, because NOBODY talks like this!

OMG! I just couldn't do it! Their hearts would sink so low it might kill them. I certainly don't want to torment them in the last years of their life. (I'm not out of the closet with any of my family, only a few close friends.)

Do you really do that? How does it go over????? OMG!

I certainly don't do it on purpose...just slips out sometimes!

According to my fundy-in-laws, swearing is worse than smoking or beating your wife!

Wow, I do not get this mentality at all. How can mere words be worse than physical abuse?

I spent way too many years as a conservative Christian, but even then I never thought anything like that.

Yes, I take great pleasure in saying jesus christ. Saying the (imaginary) lord's name in vain after so many years of freaking out that I might is just delicious!

That being said, I worry about slipping up around my grandfather. I nearly died the day he caught me smoking as it was!!!!

Wow, I do not get this mentality at all.

I think they are coming from "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" and "It is not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him but what comes out".

Not sure about the violence bit.

[sigh.]

• Super Moderator

We old people have abandoned the need to worry about what others think. Fuck 'em; I yam what I yam.

I do try to refrain from saying "cunt" around elderly women, unless of course they happen to be pleasuring me at the time.

I swear all the time unless I'm around family.

We old people have abandoned the need to worry about what others think. Fuck 'em; I yam what I yam.

I do try to refrain from saying "cunt" around elderly women, unless of course they happen to be pleasuring me at the time.

Sweet jesus florduh!!Wendytwitch.gif

I am now in hysterics at my computer..............tears running down my face!!

This is something I must admit to: I swear to myself all the time. It got worse after I watched some shows like "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsay, for whom every other word is "fuck". Now I am always muttering "fuck this, fuck that, or goddamn this and that". Its really bad, and so far I have managed not to say it loudly enough for other people to hear.

Sweet j---- florduh!!Wendytwitch.gif

I am now in hysterics at my computer..............tears running down my face!!

Hey! You watch your language, Margee!

Isn't it funny how much more satisfying naughty words are than their straight-laced cousins?

Somehow "excrement" or "feces" doesn't pack the rhetorical punch of "shit".

And "copulate you" would never occur to me when some "urinates me off".

• Like 2

Isn't it funny how much more satisfying naughty words are than their straight-laced cousins?

Somehow "excrement" or "feces" doesn't pack the rhetorical punch of "shit".

And "copulate you" would never occur to me when some "urinates me off".

LOL!

At work I let slip a "Jesus Fuck" around one of the Christians. Loved the expression of horror on their face.

Science has proven that cursing relieves pain and stress. smile.png

Why the #$%! Do We Swear? For Pain Relief

So let those F-Bombs drop partners! biggrin.png

dr-strangelove-1.jpg

Does Your Mouth Get You In Trouble?

Sometimes. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

While I did swear before I de-converted, I really started getting bad since about a year ago.I've noticed that I say goddammit a lot more, (usually under my breath.) I think the reason why I drop that one a lot, is since I realized there's probably nobody up there, and I don't have to worry about "Taking the Lord's name in vain.".(I seem to have started saying Jesus,, christ or JESUS CHRIST, and fuck a lot more as well. I think I am going to have to try and cut down on my swearing though, because the goddamns and fucks seem to come out of my mouth a little too easily, and since I work in retail, I could possibly get myself in trouble if I'm not careful.

Crack's me up every time.....................'Just say, Fuck it'!

''Saying Fuck It is like massage for the mind - relaxing you, releasing tension, giving up on things that aren't working. Just starting to say Fuck It can transform your life. Saying Fuck It feels good - to stop struggling and finally do what you fancy; to ignore what everyone's telling you and go your own way. John C. Parkin argues that saying Fuck It is a spiritual act: That it is the perfect western expression of the eastern ideas of letting go, giving up and finding real freedom by realising that things don't matter so much (if at all). This is the Fuck It way''.

John C. Parkin argues that saying Fuck It is a spiritual act: That it is the perfect western expression of the eastern ideas of letting go, giving up and finding real freedom by realising that things don't matter so much (if at all). This is the Fuck It way''.

Wow Margee, I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. If true, I must surely be on the way to enlightenment!

• Like 1

No, I don't mean expressing your opinions...I mean having a new and more "colorful" vocabulary. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif Since my de-conversion, I'm not quite as conservative in my expressions. I don't swear like a sailor (yet!), but I do believe that some circumstances call for more extreme language than "darn" or "shoot" or "crap," etc. I've also fallen into the habit of muttering "Jesus!" whenever something ridiculous comes across my path. I'm not sure if taking my imaginary former lord's name in vain is giving him too much credit, but..

So, when around your christian family or old christian friends, do you ever blurt out an expletive that causes an immediate awkward silence in the room? I always try to be on my best behavior in these situations, but, pardon the expression, shit happens! hehe.

No never. I am too well adjusted. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.giffun_84.giffun_84.gifrolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

All. The. Time.

Worse yet, my husband and I have certain phrases that are specifically religious, I don't really know how it happened. They aren't swearing per se, but they may as well be to a fundamentalist.

Oh my zombie Jesus.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and Biff (Referring to Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Jesus' Childhod Friend)

Oh my zombie raptor Jesus

Funnily enough, I stopped saying, "Hell" because I stopped believing in it a long time ago. I say heck instead now.

I have had a foul mouth for decades. It started when I was a fundamentalist. I got it from my work environment. Yet that work environment was one of the few that allowed me to go to Church five times a week and it had been picked out for me by a Word from the LORD given by a gen-u-wine prophet. I prayed for deliverance and it never came. I struggled with guilt and shame. I never understood why Jesus couldn't take my foul language away. It was very troubling.

Recently I have learned of the theory that profanity helps humans cope with suffering and pain.

• Like 1

The saying goes "cusses like a sailor". In my world, "cusses like a mechanic" is more apt. We're a potty-mouthed bunch, and I do my fair share. Of course I can rein it in depending on the crowd and what I'm trying to convey. My favorites are "Jesus Fucking Christ", Goddamnit, or (insert derogatory adjective) Motherfucker.

Around my parents and christian friends, I tone it down a little. I'll throw in ass, damn, hell, etc. just to convey that I'm not restrained by their conventions. If I'm pissed or injured, nothing is off-limits.

I rarely say 'cunt' in deference to my wife- the word bothers her. I think it's silly, but I never used the word much anyway. And I don't say nigger either unless I have a good reason- but it's pretty effective when it comes out.