Goodbye Jesus

The Beautiful Rainbow

Margee

rainbow.png

This is such a stupid post but I have to do it. Did any of you actually believe the RAINBOW story after the fllood?

I DID!! Wendytwitch.gif

I remember arguing with my atheist cousin over where the rainbow came from!!! Oh my god....He tried so hard to tell me how foolish I was!! That's how much I believed in the bible!! eek.gif Every time I saw a rainbow, I thought god put it there as a reminder!! How damn stupid can one be???

I found this in a children's story book on the web while searching for something else.

And then God said to Noah, "Look up in the sky."

Noah looked up. The storm clouds were drifting away, the bright sun was shining against Noah's back. And against the dark grey sky, God made a brilliant rainbow appear. God said to Noah,

“You see, I have set my rainbow in the sky. This will be the sign of the covenant I have made with you and all creatures, never again to destroy the earth by a flood. It will always remind us of the promise between you and me.”

So, the next time you see a rainbow children, think of Noah and the flood. Remember that God loves you, and that no matter how bad the storm, there will always come a bright new day.

That is God's promise, and God always keeps his promises. wacko.png

Unless you drown. That means that God was very upset with you.

• Like 1

My four year old can make a rainbow in the backyard with a garden hose. Does that make him god?

• Like 1

I don't know whether I actually believed the story of the rainbow being a covenant or not, because I don't think I thought about that one while I was a Christian. But I did believe other things that now seem absurd to me. For example, I actually believed that god sent his only son to the earth as an atonement for our sins and that it was only through belief in the son that we could get to heaven. To me, that's far more absurd than your belief that the rainbow actually represented a covenant between god and Noah and his descendants (us). It all goes to show how faith can warp one's rational mind.

• Like 1

Gulp! At a point in time, yes, when there was a rainbow, it was a reminder to me of God's covenant to never again destroy the earth with water. He was going to do it with fire the next time. Wendyloser.gif

• Like 1

LOL! I am chuckling out loud at all of these posts. I'm like, "Yes....yes....yup, thought that too....yup."Wendyloser.gif

I also remember being so pissed off that the gay community had adopted the rainbow as their symbol. The end was surely nigh! pyth.gif

• Like 1

LOL! I am chuckling out loud at all of these posts. I'm like, "Yes....yes....yup, thought that too....yup."Wendyloser.gif

I also remember being so pissed off that the gay community had adopted the rainbow as their symbol. The end was surely nigh! pyth.gif

I am so god damned happy I wasn't the only fool who actually believed this!!

I love the 'loser' sign!!! lmao_99.gif

I don't know whether I actually believed the story of the rainbow being a covenant or not, because I don't think I thought about that one while I was a Christian. But I did believe other things that now seem absurd to me. For example, I actually believed that god sent his only son to the earth as an atonement for our sins and that it was only through belief in the son that we could get to heaven. To me, that's far more absurd than your belief that the rainbow actually represented a covenant between god and Noah and his descendants (us). It all goes to show how faith can warp one's rational mind.

Overcame.....'Rainbows' to show us that god will never send floods to drown everyone ever again and a human sacrfice ... just for us.

god is so good. 17.gif

puskingourrainbow.gif
  • Like 4

Overcame.....'Rainbows' to show us that god will never send floods to drown everyone ever again and a human sacrfice ... just for us.

god is so good. 17.gif

Indeed, god is good. He only (supposedly) destroyed everything by a flood just once. Except for his love for us, he could keep doing it every thousand years or so. Yes, god is good. ;)

rainbow.png

This is such a stupid post but I have to do it. Did any of you actually believe the RAINBOW story after the fllood?

I DID!! Wendytwitch.gif

I remember arguing with my atheist cousin over where the rainbow came from!!! Oh my god....He tried so hard to tell me how foolish I was!! That's how much I believed in the bible!! eek.gif Every time I saw a rainbow, I thought god put it there as a reminder!! How damn stupid can one be???

Uh Margee, don't ask. My senior year in high-school I did a biology paper where I claimed that humans use to hunt T-Rex. I even drew a picture to illustrate how they could do this with spears. That is just how damn stupid I can be. Yeah I believed the rainbow story too. When I was a kid I would tell my mom if I saw a rainbow as if I had seen the handwriting of God. And when the Old Testament said God killed people I told myself that God knew they would grow up to either do something terrible or else they would have kids who did something terrible so God did the right thing by killing them. Good job God! Didn't Einstein say human stupidity is infinite?

• Like 2

Three years ago, I still believed in the rainbow story. I was still caught up in christianity when mum and dad came into my life. So the first time dad pointed to a rainbow and said, "oh look, God's having gay sex!" I nearly died. he had a slightly different version for double rainbows- "God is having gay orgies!"

I live in a town where it rains a lot, so we get a lot of rainbows. Hence, I nearly died quite a few times when dad spotted a rainbow!

• Like 3

Margee, yes I did believe the rainbow story, and it caused me a great deal of cognitive dissonance.

I knew about how rainbows worked. I knew about refraction, and about how light slowed different amounts depending on the wavelength as it passed through water.

Since the babble was infallible, I realized that it meant that god needed to to a major rework of the laws of physics after the flood.

Viola! To resolve it, I "figured out" that before the flood, light propagated instantaneously and the speed of light, c, was created at the instant of the first rainbow. I needed this answer, rather than the simpler answer that god changed things to make light refract in water, because I also noticed that we could see stars that were further than 6000 light years away, and this explanation killed two birds with one stone. I thought I was pretty clever when I first came up with that. Unfortunately, it did not occur to me until later that the eyes that god fashioned would not have worked before the flood, since the eyes rely as much on refraction as rainbows do. Doh!

• Like 1

...Actually, I have a confession to make. I, um, hadn't... ahem... I never actually really gave the story a thought until you brought up the topic and I saw it today, Margee *blush* Of course, now that I think about it, the whole story is ludicrous, but I'd never actually sat down and thought to myself, 'what a joke that rainbow story is'. *blushes harder*

• Like 2

I guess whoever added the rainbow thing onto the older mythology that is the basis of the biblical story just wanted to create a happy ending (sort of like Pandora finding the spirit of Hope at the bottom of the box of troubles that she had let loose into the world). Even in those ancient times, people must have realized that a story about a god killing 99.999999...% of all living beings would only inspire fear unless it was leavened with a little bit of "hope" at the end.

To my way of thinking now, that is sort of like painting a smiley face on the mutilated corpse of a murder victim.

Of course, it wasn't until I became an ex-christian that I developed a sense of revulsion about all the toys, decor, clothing and other items for tiny tots that bear a Noah's Ark theme (complete with cuddly animals in pairs and the obligatory rainbow) — trying to make a horror story into a happy, laffy childhood tale. Yuck!

Ridigwoopsie.gif

• Like 3

I don't know Margee, that it is all that bad. Essentially seven noticable colors of light all together.....white light. Sevenfold Spirit of God? Attaining these qualities is perhaps finding the treasure at the end of our path from beginning to end, Kind of how you look at things.

Of course, it wasn't until I became an ex-christian that I developed a sense of revulsion about all the toys, decor, clothing and other items for tiny tots that bear a Noah's Ark theme (complete with cuddly animals in pairs and the obligatory rainbow) — trying to make a horror story into a happy, laffy childhood tale. Yuck!

Ridigwoopsie.gif

I know exactly what you mean!!

I used to think everything related to Noah's Ark was just so wonderful. But now after seeing the story for what it is, I can't help but think that we need a warning on these products akin to those on cigarette packages or the really fast talkers at the end of drug commercials. (WARNING: The story of Noah's Ark recounts torture, genocide, animal abuse, elder abuse, and incest. It runs contrary to multiple disciplines of established science including but not limited to geology, anthropology, archaelogy, dendrochronology, evolutionary biology, paleoanthropology, plate techtonics, biogeography, hydrology, sedimentology, and paleobiology. The story is a blend folk story and mythology not meant to be taken literally. Literal interpretation may be hazardous to your health and cause the following side effects: racism, xenophobia, fear of science, fear of learning, stunted educational development, misanthropy, and credulity.)

• Like 2

finding the treasure at the end of our path

Leprechauns :P

Leprechauns tongue.png

That HAS to be a sin mixing stories like that...lol. I'll walk to the front this Sunday when they ask for those needing extra....

Leprechauns tongue.png

That HAS to be a sin mixing stories like that...lol. I'll walk to the front this Sunday when they ask for those needing extra....

I'm sorry- the Leprechauns made me do it :P

I used to think everything related to Noah's Ark was just so wonderful. But now after seeing the story for what it is, I can't help but think that we need a warning on these products akin to those on cigarette packages or the really fast talkers at the end of drug commercials. (WARNING: The story of Noah's Ark recounts torture, genocide, animal abuse, elder abuse, and incest. It runs contrary to multiple disciplines of established science including but not limited to geology, anthropology, archaelogy, dendrochronology, evolutionary biology, paleoanthropology, plate techtonics, biogeography, hydrology, sedimentology, and paleobiology. The story is a blend folk story and mythology not meant to be taken literally. Literal interpretation may be hazardous to your health and cause the following side effects: racism, xenophobia, fear of science, fear of learning, stunted educational development, misanthropy, and credulity.)

Have you seen the animated movie The Prince of Egypt (1998)? It was suppose to be a kids movie. Lots of Christians took their children to see it. And they have a scene where God kills children. I saw it when I was a Christian and I was so brainwashed that I didn't make the connection.

I don't know Margee, that it is all that bad. Essentially seven noticable colors of light all together.....white light. Sevenfold Spirit of God? Attaining these qualities is perhaps finding the treasure at the end of our path from beginning to end, Kind of how you look at things.

end, no big 'pot' for me yet .........what about you?

the point of the whole 'rainbow story' is about god making a vow to never wipe out his creation again? How do you decipher this? Jeeze end - he made us and then drown us???

end, no big 'pot' for me yet .........what about you?

the point of the whole 'rainbow story' is about god making a vow to never wipe out his creation again? How do you decipher this? Jeeze end - he made us and then drown us???

The Leprechauns made Him do it!

(I'm sorry Margee, I couldn't help myself! Damn Leprechauns!)

• Like 1

Unless you drown. That means that God was very upset with you.

It was god's will.

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say I believed everything word of the babble, and that belief is what eventually lead me to deconvert. I couldn't keep a blind eye to science and preach the babble was true and without error. Any kind of moisture can produce a rainbow affect. If it never rained until the big flood, then there would not be a rainbow but because there has always been rain, as long as life's existed here anyway, there has always been rainbows. The idea no rainbows were around prior to the flood just did not sit right with me but gave me lots of questions that lead to more and more questions.