Goodbye Jesus

The Unanswerable Question For Christians

yoo123

I've asked this question to so many christians and I've NEVER got a reasonable answer.

Here it is.

What makes you so sure that christianity is right and that all other religions are false? And please don't say, "Because christianity has the free gift of salvation" or "In other religion you have to do good works to get into heaven and christianity is different."

I stated not to say those things because just because a religion has good things in them does not make it the right religion. There could be a religion out there that requires you to cut off your left arm. Sounds horrible, right? But just because it sounds bad does not mean that it is false. Who are you to say a religion is false just because it doesn't sound appealing to you?

Also, I'am aware that Jesus is the only God that is alive and that all other gods are dead (or so I've read). I found this to be somewhat compelling. But when I started to think about it, it doesn't really matter. So what if they're god is dead? Why would that automatically make you believe that they're whole religion is wrong?

Also, there are alot of other religions out there that do miracles, healings etc just like christianity.

I personally believe that some parts of christianity are true but certainly not all of it. I believe there are slices of truth in alot of religions. It's like a big puzzle. Because of this, I'm just not sure what religion to resort to.

Also, people from other religions say that they have a good, warm sense of security just like how christians get when they accept Jesus into their hearts. So please don't say anything about christianity giving you a good feeling or whatever because alot of ofther religions do the same.

Also, don't say anything about the Bible fullfilling prophecies because books from other religions do the same, as well as Nostradamus.

Lastly, don't say anything about the Bible fulfilling prophecies about Jesus' birth and death because those prophecies could have been written after Jesus died. The scholars only know so much and there is no way of knowing exactly when those prophecies were written.

Alright, so how is christianity different? Please enlighten me.

I've asked this question to so many christians and I've NEVER got a reasonable answer.

Here it is.

What makes you so sure that christianity is right and that all other religions are false? And please don't say, "Because christianity has the free gift of salvation" or "In other religion you have to do good works to get into heaven and christianity is different."

This is a very popular Christian reply and it's nothing more than a fairy tale.

This answer doesn't hold up to scrutiny, even from a Biblical standpoint.

Christian salvation is not a free gift, it requires a person to believe, repent, confess belief, be baptized, do some works of charity, and worship a man-god.

If a person doesn't do these works, they don't get the reward.

Truly free gifts require nothing in return.

Christian salvation is a barter deal where salvation is exchanged for worship and proper behavior.

Also, I'am aware that Jesus is the only God that is alive and that all other gods are dead (or so I've read). I found this to be somewhat compelling. But when I started to think about it, it doesn't really matter. So what if they're god is dead? Why would that automatically make you believe that they're whole religion is wrong?

How are other gods dead? I doubt Muslims would say Allah is dead. Mohammed and Buddha weren't gods and never claimed to be, although christians seem to think they are jesus-like counterfeits of their precious incarnation (hey, at least those guys were REAL). I suppose you could say that Egyptian pharoes who claimed to be gods are dead now..hmmm....

This is idea that Jesus is the only god who is alive seems more like the typical ignorant, uneducated bullshit christians say about other beiefs/religions.

The "Jesus is alive" reason won't hold water. Some of the Indian Hindu lineages have living gurus that are worshipped as God. Besides, Jesus does not seem to be alive in the flesh and blood, rather only in the thoughts of the believers.

Also, people from other religions say that they have a good, warm sense of security just like how christians get when they accept Jesus into their hearts. So please don't say anything about christianity giving you a good feeling or whatever because alot of ofther religions do the same.

I remember hearing a pastor once say, in answer to this question, that you cannot argue with a "testimony!" This is the problem. Christians believe their subjective feelings and experiences confirm the truth of their beliefs, and they also believe these subjective warm feelings are something that other religions DON'T HAVE! Most Christians never have a conversation with a devout person of another religion, let alone a real friendship with that person. So it is very easy to insulate themselves and say, "no other religion can give me this feeling of euphoria!" This is especially common among more experienced-based charismatic and pentecostal groups. Its very hard to stump someone intellectually when their faith is not based on logic.

Actually, a big turning point for me was actually as a missionary to arab muslims, and finding out that they also had the same kind of subjective feelings/experiences in prayer and worship, and seeing that their whole belief and worldview was based on growing up in an environment where everything confirmed that their faith is true through tradition and experiences- almost mirroring my experiences growing up in the church in America. But a massive majority of Christians will never get out of their bubble enough to recognize such things.

Also, there are alot of other religions out there that do miracles, healings etc just like christianity.

Actually, i would say, no there isn't. There are a lot of religions that CLAIM such things, the same as christianity. The problem is, just as in christianity, there is no proof of such claims. However, a lot of christians do believe such things (vodoo, etc), but they are written off as demonic powers mimicking the true works of Jesus...blah, blah, blah...

The circle of BS continues.

I remember hearing a pastor once say, in answer to this question, that you cannot argue with a "testimony!" This is the problem. Christians believe their subjective feelings and experiences confirm the truth of their beliefs...

Actually I don't think this is exclusive to Christianity. It's inherently true of any metaphysical belief, is it not? Which doesn't necessarily invalidate all metaphysical beliefs. But look at it this way. No one had a magic portal that allows anyone who wishes to, to see or experience or objectively verify the existence and nature of any spiritual reality, or afterlife, or pre-life, or anything of that nature. It is, in terms of what we experience as empirical, physical reality, Information Unobtanium. Therefore, the ONLY data available concerning these things is one's subjective personal experience, which is inherently useless to anyone but yourself.

Now as long as you realize that this is useful only to yourself, and don't impose your personal experience as sufficient for anyone else, then you can arguably decide it's sufficient for you personally and you can go ahead and believe whatever you want about gods, spiritual alternate realities, afterlives, and baroque cosmologies that explain (for you) The Meaning Of It All.

The problem with Christianity is not so much that it accepts a certain metaphysics that is objectively unverifiable, it's that it suggests that other people's personal subjective experience should be accepted by you as sufficient evidence to believe. Of COURSE you can argue with a testimony, because that testimony is meaningless other than as being suggestive that you could potentially experience something similar if you're open to it. But it's proof of nothing, other than to the person with the testimony. And one can argue that maybe they should be questioning their OWN experiences.

I have always been wary of even my own subjective experience because who says I can't be misled by it or draw the wrong conclusions from it. But that's just me. I don't judge others for the beliefs they subscribe to, so long as it remains their personal, private belief and they don't discuss it with me as if it's for me or for everyone.

--Bob