Goodbye Jesus

Good Rant - Music

Reprobate

This past weekend I spent some time cleaning the house. How wonderful it was to put some Pink Floyd on while doing this. In my opinion it is musical genius. The voice of Sinatra is amazing. The energy of AC~DC is great.

Whatever your taste in music, being able to listen to what you want is absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

damn, i wish i had all the cd's i burned at my youth group bonfire when i was 15!

I tried so very, very hard to be a good little Christian and enjoy Christian music. I just never could. So much of it was either just a poor imitation of some secular band or style, or if it was unique, it was just unique shit. I still can't tell if other Christians actually enjoy contemporary Christian music, or if they're just able to lie to themselves better than I could and convince themselves that since it's "godly" music, it's somehow better.

And yes, Reprobate, Pink Floyd is musical genius.

Edit to add: Oh, and I just love when I talk to Christians about listening to some music or other, and they inevitably ask, "Oh, are they Christian?" and my answer is simply, "No."

• Like 2

My fundy parents thankfully didn't police my musical interests, and it's been my primary hobby for life.

• Like 1

Listening to Pink Floyd right now wink.png

• Like 1

This past weekend I spent some time cleaning the house. How wonderful it was to put some Pink Floyd on while doing this. In my opinion it is musical genius.

Love Pink Floyd, absolutely musical geniuses, those four. (I'm a bit partial to Gilmour, though)

I agree with you. Good music makes everything better.

Listening to Kings of Convenience right now.

My mind would just start playing songs demanding I listen to the cd whenever I tried giving up secular music. Glad that was short lived. :)

This past weekend I spent some time cleaning the house. How wonderful it was to put some Pink Floyd on while doing this. In my opinion it is musical genius. The voice of Sinatra is amazing. The energy of AC~DC is great.

Whatever your taste in music, being able to listen to what you want is absolutely wonderful.

I like my 'AC-DC Sings Frank Sinatra' disc. :-)

I'm really glad I never had trouble listening to what I wanted. My mother once objected to a Cranberries album due to the song "I Just Shot John Lennon" but it was more out of distaste at what she perceived to be crassness and insensitivity.

Good thing, too, as the music I listen to now would make

. What I love is that some of it actually sounds like religious music at first listen. Therion uses choirs in a way that would give the pope a hard-on, and if you listen to the right parts of Kamelot's (Faust-inspired) Epica/Black Halo double-set it sounds like something a theologian would write. Then they listen more closely...heh heh heh.

I grew up listening to Christian music...so I genuinely liked a lot of it. In my teens, I was always so worried about what I read and listened to (you know, not wanting to "foul" my mind/heart with "ungodliness") that I chose not to listen to much secular music at all. And now....it's kinda like a whole new world I get to explore. A friend of mine has taken it upon himself to educate me on the world of music. He sends me millions of tunes on youtube to check out. A lot of fun, actually, as I wouldn't know where to start.

I grew up listening to Christian music and hated all of it. Especially as I started getting into music as a teen. Suddenly every worship song sounded like the same vacuous acoustic piece of shit with the same mindless lyrics. So glad I listen to what I want now.