Goodbye Jesus

One Year Later

Randi

As of Wednesday, it will have been one whole year since I came out publicly as an atheist. It's been an amazing year. I've experienced so much more in the last year than I've ever experienced in my life. I grew up, I fell in love, lost my virginity, gained a live in boyfriend, and I had my heart broken (my boyfriend of 11 months left me a couple weeks ago-another story entirely). Some would see where I am at this moment and think that I'm at the lowest point I've ever been in my life. It's not. It's probably one of the most hopeful times of my life. I have experienced love in a way I never had as a Christian. I've changed my whole worldview and my new worldview withstood the test of hardship. I find it comical that in my current state of sadness people seem to think it's a completely appropriate time to invite me to church, as if being dumped will make me run right back into the arms of Jesus. It won't, and not because I'm angry at god for my lost love, or because I'm upset that he hasn't given me what I want in my life, (these are the two most common assumptions) but simply because I just don't believe in him anymore. In the last year, I've grown in a lot of ways. I know what it means to really love someone, to lend an understanding ear, to fight, and most importantly, to compromise. I also know what it feels like to be betrayed by that love. Surprisingly, I'm so glad that I experienced it. I feel like I learned some important skills for the future. I'm a better person for everything. I've also pissed some people off in the last year. Unfortunately, some of those people will never speak to me again. Honestly, I don't care. I've made new friends. I've made some amazing new friends through my local atheist group. I love those people. They've been here for me. :) I don't really have anymore thoughts on the matter at the moment. I was just reflecting on some things and realized the date. It's been an awesome year. Honestly, in spite of where I am currently, it's been the best year of my life. Funny how that coincides with the absence of religion in my life. :)

PS, Thanks Ex-C! You guys have been a major inspiration to me!

• Like 6

Happy Heathen Anniversary, Randi... and many more!

I'm glad you had a good year. It's too bad you had to suffer betrayal from someone you loved (I know what that feels like) even though you managed to turn it into a good learning experience that has ultimately strengthened you. Best wishes for the future!

Happy anniversary, Randi! That was a very inspiring post. I'm sorry about the recent loss of your boyfriend but I am glad that you have such a good perspective about the situation. It seems that you are living and enjoying your life to the fullest. Bravo for you!!!

It is amazing the difference a year makes. I think you are handling it very well. Relationships ending suck....there is no way around it. However, you seem to have chosen a very mature way to handle it, that might not have been possible if you were still in the old belief system.

beer.gif To many more loves and heartache in the future.

I'm going to agree with Noob here, that was a very inspiring post! All the best for the future!

Happy anniversary, Randi! One year older and wiser!! Good for you Randi! I hope you are staying with us?

Here's a big hug around your broken heart from me. Not the same......I know,......but you wait......the next wonderful person could be right around the corner!!

Congrats on your anniversary and a big hug. Great to hear you are doing well. Things can suck at times, but it is all part of developing and maturing. I can honestly say that I have had the best days of my life recently as well.

I found christain breakups and even rejections to be much more devistating than ones I have had as a non-religious person. Even if you stayed pure in your christain relationship. Didn't they tell us breaking up was so much easier because you did not have sex?

Experience can be a cruel teacher, but one that allows you to grow.

To me Thanksgiving means football and turkey!

I just thought of this song, by the Australian singer, Alex Lloyd. It's an acoustic version of "What A Year" from his debut album, Black The Sun :)

Even if you stayed pure in your christain relationship. Didn't they tell us breaking up was so much easier because you did not have sex?

Ah, the lies Christians tell to each other.

The whole Purity thing is SOOOOOO overrated. It may be possible to stay "pure" in your teens, but once you hit your early 20s it gets harder to find a virgin who will admit to being one. Once you hit your late 20s to 30s, you're going to be shit outta luck if you expect to marry a virgin.

Instead, people should be happy to be with the one they're with right now and it's best to leave any sexual baggage in the past where it belongs.

• Like 1

As of Wednesday, it will have been one whole year since I came out publicly as an atheist. It's been an amazing year. I've experienced so much more in the last year than I've ever experienced in my life. I grew up, I fell in love, lost my virginity, gained a live in boyfriend, and I had my heart broken (my boyfriend of 11 months left me a couple weeks ago-another story entirely). Some would see where I am at this moment and think that I'm at the lowest point I've ever been in my life. It's not. It's probably one of the most hopeful times of my life. I have experienced love in a way I never had as a Christian. I've changed my whole worldview and my new worldview withstood the test of hardship. I find it comical that in my current state of sadness people seem to think it's a completely appropriate time to invite me to church, as if being dumped will make me run right back into the arms of Jesus. It won't, and not because I'm angry at god for my lost love, or because I'm upset that he hasn't given me what I want in my life, (these are the two most common assumptions) but simply because I just don't believe in him anymore. In the last year, I've grown in a lot of ways. I know what it means to really love someone, to lend an understanding ear, to fight, and most importantly, to compromise. I also know what it feels like to be betrayed by that love. Surprisingly, I'm so glad that I experienced it. I feel like I learned some important skills for the future. I'm a better person for everything. I've also pissed some people off in the last year. Unfortunately, some of those people will never speak to me again. Honestly, I don't care. I've made new friends. I've made some amazing new friends through my local atheist group. I love those people. They've been here for me. smile.png I don't really have anymore thoughts on the matter at the moment. I was just reflecting on some things and realized the date. It's been an awesome year. Honestly, in spite of where I am currently, it's been the best year of my life. Funny how that coincides with the absence of religion in my life. smile.png

PS, Thanks Ex-C! You guys have been a major inspiration to me!

Congratulations on completing your first year where you have been more authentically you! I remember my first year was a bit crazy but it settled down. And it's good that you've avoided the temptation of the emotional crutch that is Christianity - you're clearly becoming stronger and more courageous. The possessive love of God for his sheeple is so unhealthy - sort of like the love of a stalker or pervert.

Sorry to hear about your break-up. Not that a relationship is necessary to your wellbeing but I'm sure you'll meet another lucky guy when the time is right. From your photo you look like a total babe. x