Why Facebook?

older

Why Facebook? I just responded to a thread here that I’ve never been on Facebook and don’t plan to be. I’ve got more important things to do with my time.

So my question to all of you is: Why? So many threads here mention Facebook as a place where your various pains, worries and psyches are upset or exacerbated. So why do you go there?

From what I know about it, it seems like it might be a good place for 14-year-old American kids for whom social interaction is what life is all about. But after that, what is it that draws you to something that seems to be nothing but a source of trouble?

With all that there is to do, movies to see, books to read, events to attend, chores to finish, why do you spend time chatting about what seems to be mostly trivia or reading hurtful insults written by ignorant people and posted to the etherworld? My wife tried it for a time and quit when the trivia descended to someone noting that she was doing her laundry.

If stimulating discussion is what you desire, there are many alternative spots for that. If it’s contact with friends, why not call and enjoy the sound of their voices? Everyone has telephones and email, so why do we need this land mine strewn place called Facebook?

I’m not trying to be confrontational. I’m just a geezer of a generation where we talked to each other face to face. Is the time well spent? Is the risk worth the trouble? Please explain. Thanks.

(By the way, I did see the movie.)

I don't think this has anything to do with age, or technical ability.

I am a techie (well former techie anyway), and I never go on FB. I had an account at one time about 4 years ago but found I almost never had time to log in, and when I did log in I found I wasn't really interested in hearing about every minute detail of my "friend's" lives. It's just not anything I am interested in.

Interestingly my 15 year old niece doesn't use it (she thinks it's boring and dumb), and my 21 year old nephew thinks its "gay" (lol). And they both have computers and can access it anytime they want. Go figure.

I do think FB has peaked though, I know more and more people who have simply tired of it and don't use it much anymore - kind of the same thing that happened with MySpace.....

32 years old here.LeslieWave.gif I opened a facebook account to see what the rest of my family are up too. I like to see their photos. We live far away from each other. I don't like talking on phones. What I do talk about with my family on facebook I don't feel is trivial. There are a few games on there that I like to play when I'm bored.

I guess I've been on most recently because it's the Holidays. And the best present I could ever receive this year is hearing my family say "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you. I'm so sorry I didn't protect you. I'm so sorry I didn't believe you. I'm so sorry I neglected you. I was wrong and I'm so sorry." just so I can have the chance to say back to them....I don't forgive you.....I deserve the right to have the chance to say that to them. I want them to grovel and beg me for forgiveness so I can REJECT THEM.

• Like 1

Why? So many threads here mention Facebook as a place where your various pains, worries and psyches are upset or exacerbated. So why do you go there?

With all that there is to do, movies to see, books to read, events to attend, chores to finish, why do you spend time chatting about what seems to be mostly trivia or reading hurtful insults written by ignorant people and posted to the etherworld?

You have a good point. Thank you.

I visit it about once a week to keep up with friends and family. Since I live on another continent from them, it lets me feel like I'm still a small part of their lives, even though I rarely post anything but an interesting article I come across here and there.

I see it as a necessary evil with the good attribute it helps people keep in touch.

Well, for starters, my best friend lives 6 hours away, works, has two young boys, and whenever I try to call and talk to her, well, she says her kids become "evil when they see her on the phone". And trust me, I can hear them!

I've found friends I lost contact with, thanks to losing phones and them going overseas, thanks to facebook. Facebook allowed me to find them, so I could talk to them on the phone, and see them when paths crossed!

Not only that, but Facebook gives me a bit of insight into people like my fiancee's family. It's amazing what people WILL post on Facebook. Due to comments my fiancee's cousin made to my fiancee's ex on Facebook about him, she has effectively earned herself an non-invite to our wedding. Thanks Facebook!

• Super Moderator

I'm a geezer as well, but I find facebook useful and entertaining. At one point or another I had no need for a cell phone, computer or least of all a social networking site. I joined facebook to play a couple of games with people I knew. Facebook, as with anything, is what you make it to be. A couple of high school friends found me there and we can easily exchange any news we may have and see each others photo albums and videos. My local friends and family post vacation photos, kid pictures, hospital updates, etc. It's convenient if you want it to be. I suppose if you use it as a dating service or political/religious soapbox, it might not be so useful.

I'm a geezer as well,

[snip]

hospital updates,

[snip]

Ah ha! Great idea for us geezers! A place for our organ recitals. I could upload my medications list, share the results of my prostate exam, and display photos of the shingles infection on my face and my wife's most recent surgery incision. Now there's something worth looking at!

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I'm a geezer as well,

[snip]

hospital updates,

[snip]

Ah ha! Great idea for us geezers! A place for our organ recitals. I could upload my medications list, share the results of my prostate exam, and display photos of the shingles infection on my face and my wife's most recent surgery incision. Now there's something worth looking at!

Actually, all the hospital updates I've seen on fb were for younger people, but you're right. Most old farts should have lots of medical complaints to share, and on fb you only have to post it once and everyone on your list will be updated - whether they want to be or not. Hell, you could even post prostate scans and compare with friends. What fun!

• Like 1

I didn't much care for Facebook at first, but now I fucking love it. It's a matter of getting the right friends. I can ignore the boring comments easily enough. Some of my ex-c friends are FB friends, and some of the discussions we've had have lead to gaining other intelligent friends. It's allowed me to see pics of my neice and has been great in general for keeping in touch with family.

Also, it was a good place to ease out of the atheist closet. I'm pretty sure my whole family knows I'm a heathen now.

• Like 1

I'm a geezer as well,

[snip]

hospital updates,

[snip]

Actually, all the hospital updates I've seen on fb were for younger people, but you're right. Most old farts should have lots of medical complaints to share, and on fb you only have to post it once and everyone on your list will be updated - whether they want to be or not. Hell, you could even post prostate scans and compare with friends. What fun!

Great idea! I have some colonoscopy pictures I can share!

....Why? So many threads here mention Facebook as a place where your various pains, worries and psyches are upset or exacerbated. So why do you go there?

Hey older!

Hear, hear! Facebook is such an intense mix of good and bad (mostly bad). My own profile has no hyperlinks to communities of interest, only a couple generic photos of my dogs and flowers, and only two brief abstract points about me. I keep it very vague and I have even disabled my ability to post status updates. I call it hanging out a digital shingle--it is by no means where I 'live'. I am in a small town where everybody knows everybody elses business, so I purposefully leave Facebook vague and unadorned with details. But it seems these days, saying you're on Facebook is like saying you're in the phone book (for those of us who remember using one of those....lol): it's a social requirement in most circles. Wendyshrug.gif

What I need to do is stay the hell away from Facebook, because people's status updates make me crazy.

I could upload my medications list, share the results of my prostate exam, and display photos of the shingles infection on my face and my wife's most recent surgery incision. Now there's something worth looking at!

LOL!!!! Facebook is definitely a case of TMI gone very wrong!!

I didn't much care for Facebook at first, but now I fucking love it. It's a matter of getting the right friends. I can ignore the boring comments easily enough. Some of my ex-c friends are FB friends, and some of the discussions we've had have lead to gaining other intelligent friends. It's allowed me to see pics of my neice and has been great in general for keeping in touch with family.

I fall into the geezer category and I love Facebook. I've connected with friends and family members that I hadn’t been in touch with for years. I play games, communicate with my close friends, and I have also become friends with a group of Ex-C folks. I enjoy the camaraderie and it gives me a comfort level that if this site ever crashes and burns and doesn’t come back, I will still be connected through Facebook.

Older, I've pondered the "Why f/b" many times. But I'm on there. Actually I did just dump a whole load of people not that long ago - mostly church people. A lot of them wouldn't have much to do with me anymore in person, and it was just so awkward having this weird on-line life with them involved that it was easier to get rid of them. I keep thinking about getting off it entirely but have family and friends that are in other states that it is very easy to keep contact with them that way.

I fall into the geezer category and I love Facebook. I've connected with friends and family members that I hadn’t been in touch with for years. I play games, communicate with my close friends, and I have also become friends with a group of Ex-C folks. I enjoy the camaraderie and it gives me a comfort level that if this site ever crashes and burns and doesn’t come back, I will still be connected through Facebook.

Hahahha, I see some crazy shit posted on FB by some of my Ex-C friends!

I still have a FB page, but I got bored of it after a month or so. (that was about 2 years ago) I still check it, but only once a week or so. (LinkedIn is far more useful) I can't understand the people who post EVERYTHING THEY DO on theirs. Is it just narcissism or is there something else at work there?

Why Facebook?

FaceBook is great for finding old friends you may have lost touch with, and keeping in touch with real time happenings with friends and relatives you're connected with -- if you wish to. Beyond that of course there's the sterotypical TMI, who-cares posts, of the "I ate a banana and took a shit today" variety, or angst-ridden rants about love, etc., but that doesn't negate the basic utility or the fact that you control who you're connected with and who you allow to see what.

I visit every 2 or 3 days and respond briefly to the posts of others, and probably post myself a half dozen times a year. I probably have 50 or 60 friends, and many of those are about to get un-friended because they are connected with an old hobby I'm drifting away from. I find that even people my age who I meet in the real world want to connect to me on FB to help stay in touch, and I find that somewhat helpful. Even my 80 year old aunt-in-law is out there.

By contrast, my fiancee's daughter has hundreds of FB friends but she uses FB in a very mature way (for a teen) and doesn't spend that much time on it; her friend count has more to do with an idea stuck between her ears that you never can unfriend anyone, which is rather like saying you never clean up your address book -- combined with the fact that most of her "friends" are in teenage friend-collecting mode because for them it's all about belonging. But FB has moved way beyond its origins with college students.

I love TMI posts :P I get a kick out of the image of people sitting there, reading my status, and thinking, "what on earth??!!" I did one only recently, about Wednesday's bowel movements ROFL!

Facebook was a big stressor, I was on it for most of 2009. My social skills are abysmal, having a Facebook account only created more stress for me, I'd fret about "should I reply to this or not? Will they think I'm rude if i don't respond? Should I have this person as a friend" etc.

• Like 1

Another Geezer for Facebook (GFF). It's a lot of stuff in one place, don't have to press my slow computer (hint to Santa) into actually trying to surf. Got rid of santimonious "friends" and it's a nice place now..

Now for the real question: Why Lady Goo-Goo?

Facebook was a big stressor, I was on it for most of 2009. My social skills are abysmal, having a Facebook account only created more stress for me, I'd fret about "should I reply to this or not? Will they think I'm rude if i don't respond? Should I have this person as a friend" etc.

You're so cute :)

I have a very simple method for deciding whether or not to add someone:

1. Do I actually know this person? No- hit ignore. Yes- I'll consider it.

2. How well do I know this person? Not very well- hit ignore. Well- I'll consider it.

3. Do I actually like this person? No- hit ignore. Yes- hit confirm.

You don't have to reply to every status update or comment. No-one replies to every status update and comment :)

As for pm's- if you're not in the mood to reply, wait a couple of days, then send a one-line response apologising that you're flat out at the moment and give a very quick response.

As for the chat option, well, I turned mine off. I have a facebook stalker who always just wants to bitch and complain to me about an ex of mine. What she doesn't know, because I never let on, was that I know about the email she sent to my ex while I was still with him, asking him if there was any chance of them having a future together. I'm still mates with this ex, and I know what she's really upset about is that she got rejected. So complaining to me isn't going to be much good lol.

Why Facebook?

FaceBook is great for finding old friends you may have lost touch with, and keeping in touch with real time happenings with friends and relatives you're connected with -- if you wish to. Beyond that of course there's the sterotypical TMI, who-cares posts, of the "I ate a banana and took a shit today" variety, or angst-ridden rants about love, etc., but that doesn't negate the basic utility or the fact that you control who you're connected with and who you allow to see what.

I'm not so sure about this "being in control" thing. Stuff I wrote on other websites (a link I recommended, a fun test I did on a friend's wall) showed up on my wall so that all my friends can see and copy it to their wall. Where any of their friends can see and copy it and I have lost all control. Some of this stuff I am unable to delete and I had no idea it would be posted to my page. FB is like living in a small close-knit community where you have no privacy.

And then there's the item of being tagged, or of tagging someone else's picture or comment. It automatically lets them into your innermost "only me" sanctuary where no one else is supposed to be able to see.

I'm keeping it to a minimum what I post. I got active only when I wanted to share scenery pictures I'd taken.

I think the pm system is safe. FB is definitely excellent at connecting people and long lost aquaintances.