Happy Thanksgiving!

Guest Babylonian Dream

Guest Babylonian Dream

Happy Thanksgiving!

There is alot I have to be thankful for. Family that stuck by me, friends who've been there for me in tough times, my life being better than its ever been, and so much more!

This is my first thanksgiving as a nonbeliever, and it feels strange to realize that I can still be thankful for what I have without giving all the credit to biblegod.

Wife of Ro-bear and Daughter One are in Hawaii on a band trip. Wife dropped phone in ocean while taking a picture to send gloatingly to a friend. Poetic justice, I suppose. Daughter is chafing at Mom's presence since otherwise she and her friends would be running amok, relatively speaking.

So I'm probably having a better Thanksgiving here in Powell with Daughter Two. We went to Grandma's and ate the traditional meal with aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. My late sister's two daughters were there. Tomorrow night they are taking Daughter Two so I can go drink and play darts. Got to watch some football with Dad. Got to give my nieces fits in the way only an annoying uncle can. Got to talk to nephew's hot girlfriend. Good day overall, but now I wish my other girls were home. Daughter Two and I are sitting in front of a fire eating bagel bites and looking for a movie to watch. Maybe we'll have some hot chocolate and popcorn and hang with the dogs on the couch. I love family holidays!

Guest Babylonian Dream

This is my first thanksgiving as a nonbeliever, and it feels strange to realize that I can still be thankful for what I have without giving all the credit to biblegod.

It was the same way for me, and it was weird to finally think about how much I accomplished for myself, and how much others have been there, and it made me feel far more thankful than I ever had felt before as a believer.

Happy Thanksgiving!

There is alot I have to be thankful for. Family that stuck by me, friends who've been there for me in tough times, my life being better than its ever been, and so much more!

On the way to eat Thanksgiving dinner out with my fiancee and her son, we spoke of what we're grateful for. Her son felt "thankful for" implies some benefactor to thank, and I suggested gratitude does not require a benefactor, only an attitude of awareness towards positive outcomes, so that we get the maximum benefit from them and keep the best possible perspective. He was willing to buy into that :-)

What I like about this approach is that it doesn't make me have to tap dance around crap in my life that I loathe. It allows for honesty, while still enabling me to more fully embrace actual positives. I rather like it, compared to the sort of rueful, I'm grateful for the tests from God that I passed this year kind of stuff from my church daze, as if anyone actually believes such claptrap.

Personally I despise this holiday. It makes me physically ill. Having known incredibly brilliant and kind American indigenous and having studied way way too much American history, I have to say that this "holiday" {sic} cannot be wiped off the calendar soon enough. We really should be thankful every day and not just on a special day that insults indigenous and so often elevates myths and old wive's tales at the expense of reality. I find it truly horrifying when my fundy family waxes on about how they are 'thankful' for this and that while standing on stolen land, devastated cultures and raped wealth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKtE2bGj_w

THE STORY OF THE HOUSE

Once upon a time there was a big house on the other side of the pond. A family lived in that house. They were truly rich in every way, but they didn't flaunt their wealth. They found ostentation curious and obscene.

One day my daddy crossed the pond and butchered everyone in the house. He kept a couple of them alive and chained in the darkest corners of the cellar. He went down ever so often to torture, rape and insult them.

Daddy took all the wealth, money and property and he called it his.

I was born a long time after all this happened. I live in daddy's house now, and I still spend daddy's money. Things are pretty great. I have to say that life is more or less good.

It must have sucked for those people who used to live in the house. But you know, I had nothing to do with all that murder and stealing. After much reflection I find that I am not responsible in any way, shape or form; and this nice house looks pretty good to me today. So I sleep well and my hands are clean.

Aren't they?

All land is stolen land, everywhere on Earth. What do we suggest we do? Replace Thankgiving with a day of self-flagellation? I'm part Cherokee, so I guess Im related to oppressor and oppressee. Well, maybe not. By the time my white ancestors got here, the rape and theft was pretty much complete. Of course I still benefit from it, but I feel no guilt and can't imagine why I should.

Personally I despise this holiday. It makes me physically ill. Having known incredibly brilliant and kind American indigenous and having studied way way too much American history,

I am not at all sure what Thanksgiving has to do with the mistreatment of indigenous peoples, given that it celebrates the cooperation with indigenous people that made the survival of the early US settlers possible. At any rate, it is a lot like Christmas, which is secularized to the point that the original purpose isn't really observed anyway. It is simply an opportunity to pause in a busy life and take stock of the positive things in your life.

Besides, you can over-think something like this to the point that everything you have is at the expense of someone who has not. The truth is that life and love and wealth are not finite commodities, they are continuously created and there can be more than enough for everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I personally have had a pretty chill weekend. Only one awkward moment, my father giving a prayer at the family dinner and droning on and on. Seems once a preacher always a preacher, get an audience and watch the ego take over.

I sincerely hope all members of these forums are having a good thanksgiving. One of the many things I am thankful for is this community to assist me back when I first started de-converting. So.... thanks!