Goodbye Jesus

People At Work-christian And Non-christian

Naughtyhamster

Last week I was surprised during a conversation with someone at work (when things were slow) that she and her kids love to watch The Last Airbender, but strangely she doesn't allow them to watch or read anything of the Harry Potter franchise due to "witchcraft". Doesn't The Last Airbender have magic in the plot and suggestions of Buddhism?

Then there's this racist lady that's a client of ours, and when I'm talking to her she goes on about "Mexicans jumping the border", or about all "The Asians coming here!" I had to gently remind her that California was a part of Mexico at one time. Also because of our abysmal K-12 education the U.S. is glad to accept Asian immigrants, especially those from India, to work those jobs that we are not preparing our children for because of all the emphasis on "imagination and creativity" in our schools, and not emphasizing strong academic skills like reading and writing. However, she still rants on about whatever ethnic group was her pet peeve that day.

Here my well-to-do maternal side Christian aunt and uncle think that tutoring is "not a real job", well I would like them to come and try to put up with some of the people I encounter on a daily basis! I have cool bosses, but it's the students that sometimes drive me up the wall. However, sometimes I feel sad for them because they do have true problems ( health conditions) which they bring to the classroom, and I have to know how to deal with them.

I think working as a tutor is a cool and useful profession! I'm surprised you well-to-do relatives don't see things the same way because it is usually the well-to-do that put their children in to tutoring.

I encounter people that express prejudice and discrimination in my workplace as well. The issues? Lax punishment by the courts when people commit offences, 'boat people' being given welfare benefits that Australians are not eligible for (this is an urban myth). And I work in an organistation where most people have post graduate qualifications!

Ya just put up with them! There s no such thing as the perfect workplace!

I've decided that the only way to show such people their follies is to use the Bible as a weapon against them. Logic and fact will not work. I have a super fundy friend who is also a racist bigot. While I've let his comments slide in the past, the next time he says something about folks on welfare or similar, I'm going to ask him, "What would Jesus do?" and then watch him squirm while he fumbles around for the answer he knows he needs to give.

I think working as a tutor is a cool and useful profession! I'm surprised you well-to-do relatives don't see things the same way because it is usually the well-to-do that put their children in to tutoring.

This aunt and uncle in particular think my job isn't a "real job" because the majority of adults I tutor are coming back to school to get a high school diploma, have mental challenges ( what in other countries might be called mentally disabled or brain injured), and immigrants learning English. Of course, in the opinion of well to do right wing Christians of America ( like these relatives of mine who make about an estimated $80,000-$100,000 a year) these groups of people are "unworthy" of any assistance whatsoever.

Hmmm. I think "what would Jesus do?" should just about hit the spot with these rellies!

Then there's this racist lady that's a client of ours, and when I'm talking to her she goes on about "Mexicans jumping the border", or about all "The Asians coming here!" I had to gently remind her that California was a part of Mexico at one time. Also because of our abysmal K-12 education the U.S. is glad to accept Asian immigrants, especially those from India, to work those jobs that we are not preparing our children for because of all the emphasis on "imagination and creativity" in our schools, and not emphasizing strong academic skills like reading and writing. However, she still rants on about whatever ethnic group was her pet peeve that day.

...If you weren't on the other side of the world, I would swear you were dealing with my own darling biological mother, whom I quote: "It's because of the Lebanese that there is so much chewing gum on the streets of Parramatta!" And every Indian is out to get her job. Every Koori is a drunk, and the Vietnamese come here to sell drugs and start their own ghettos. Oh, and the Islanders will bash you. Not to mention the filthy Arabs. In fact, my darling biological mother has a reason to hate pretty much every race on the planet, excepting the French, British, and the Jews. Why? Because that is her own ancestry.

• Like 1