Goodbye Jesus

Planning On Comming Out About My Atheism, I Cant Really Live A Lie Anymore.

Kaiser01

so its been about two years now since i effectivly left christianity and became a atheist. however i am not free from the religions grasp, i live in prepetual disagrement with the world around me.

i am 17 i am almost out of shcool one more year and ill be out. but i am still forced to go to church two times every sunday. i am forced to go to church on wensday and forced to do extra ciricular activiities outside the church. everyday at home i hear nothing but "what jesus did" or "god did this" or somthing along those lines. my parents are extreme fundamentalist.

my parents are part of a christian biker group GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif basicaly its full of a bunch of middle aged adults wanting to stay young. but anyways they are extremly involved and my dad is their preacher. they try to force me to be apart of their group all the time and try to get me to be "involved" with their activities but when your around them all your hear is the word "God" naturally. i like what they do as they help the homless and such but it is god aweful to spend 6 hours of your weekend with people who all they want to say is "praise da lawd" as they try to meet up to their social standards.

i have one atheist freind, a few people know i am atheist but this is very few people.

that is basicaly my situtation.

i think ive reached the point where if i were asked if i was a atheist i would not deny it but i do not flaunt it around. but i really cant take this situation anymore. as i said earlier i am in constant disagrement with my world and its taking a toll on me.

i have noticed that ever since i started disagreing with their religion on a constant basis i have developed sleep problems as i think its taking a tole on my psych. becuase of my sleep problems i am having memory and thought problems along with a slew of others. i want to come out about my atheism becuase maby i can begin to fight away from it.

i know that when i tell them it will be 10 miniutes and the biker group will know, then their kids will know then my shcool will know, but im to the point where i dont care. i hope i can begin to fight away from it though i know i will meet HUGE walls of resistance, i know ill become their "pet project" but at least ill be able to fight going to church rather than having to simply accept it.

i dont know if this is a good idea based on some of yalls experince so i want to get your imput before i walk into hell and back even though i feel like im allready there.

To be honest, from what you say it is hard for me to imagine a scenario in which things don't get worse for you if you come out now. Your age is part of it. Think it over.

I have been an atheist since I was twelve or thirteen. My sister outed me at the dinner table when I was sixteen. I don't remember the context, but I remember my sister saying, "Well, Rob's an atheist."

My mom was always trying to shield us all from the wrath of Dad. She quickly said, "No, he isn't." I didn't say a word. I still don't talk about it with my parents, but they know. They know I haven't been to church since I left home except weddings, funerals, and my father-in-law's church barbecue where all the men take turns walking to the truck with the bottle in the back.

We just don't talk about it. For us, it's easier this way. Maybe others see it differently.

Kaiser, what a brave young man you are. If you are going to follow through on this - you must put on your armor (not gods armor) and get ready for battle!

There was post very similar to this one a while ago and these would be the concerns........how much longer will you have to live in the same house before you can get out on your own? How will it feel if you can't go anywhere in the house and you will feel tension? This alone may cause you to lose sleep. You know that when you tell them, the word will spread like wildfire and the whole church will probably be staring at (and praying ) for you. How well do you all get along? Are they open-minded at all?

What about asking permission to be excused from the church activities and tell them that you are going through 'a spiritual crises'......... that you would like to work on by yourself, away from all activities in the church.

You are such a smart young man....... my main concern is being comfortable at your own house for the next couple of years until you can go out on your own. Let us know?

I posted this scripture on the last person who was ready to comeout at a very young age.I laughed because it is a scripture that could make sense!! Lol!

Ephesians 6:1Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

See All... Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long...................

I agree with Ro-bear. You will be far better off if you tell them when you are 18. It doesn't even have to be on your 18th birthday. I know you are probably getting sick of this. But better things come to those who wait. Do you plan to go to college? That would be perfect if you tell your parents several months after starting college. Then they will chalk it up to bad influences. "Those evil college professors work for Satan!" These people can set you up for a lot of hurt.

it probly would make sense to come out at the age of 18. i might actualy just let it seep out slowly rather than beingout right about it.

When I was questioning my faith, I was honest with people about it, and people - especially my mother - took it as their personal responsibility to make sure I was saved, "for real, this time," since the first time obviously didn't take.

You are so brave, and it's terrible that any part of society - ESPECIALLY OUR HOMES - makes a person essentially "lie" about who they are, but there it is.

Good luck to you.

i might actually just let it seep out slowly rather than being outright about it.

Hey Kaiser!

Sounds like your family is like mine. I tried asking hard questions (in all honesty) and I got nailed for it. I even ran away once. (Didn't work out though!)

I personally think that just living out one's beliefs is generally a better approach than making a declaration about them. Not only might you lose your home and what's left of any dignity your family shows you (since you are still dependent on them), but if you 'declare' a stance they will be watching you like a hawk and may make your life miserable in efforts to try and save you.

Can you find a way to be true to yourself without living a lie and still manage to keep some peace?

Just a thought. Keep us posted. We're all rooting for you!