Goodbye Jesus

Going To An Xmas Play At An Uber Fundy Baptist Church

Jds22

My MIL is in an Xmas play this weekend and it was strongly suggested by my wife that I join her for the show. My wife is no longer a beliver either so that's not her reason for wanting me to go. It's more for support of her mom, which is fine I have no problem with that. Her mom is actually pretty good in plays.

This could be interesting now that I know more about the Matthew and Luke birth stories.

We'll see.

At least you've got a fellow free thinker going with you. I would need my wife as well to keep me out of troublezDuivel7.gif .

There's an evangelical church/cult in my neighbourhood, and they're doing a play called 'Xmas', making a point of the X because it's about what Christmas would be like without Christians.

I'm tempted to go along, just for the lols because I already know what kind of rubbish the play's going to be.

This time of year is so ripe for the hand wringing and judging the world for materialism, Christmas parties and all around not knowing the "Reason for the season". These plays always made me uncomfortable when I was a fundy because of the drive by shooting nature of witnessing to the unsaved family and friends that got reluctantly dragged to them. My church always made a big deal about us inviting people so they could hear the good news but I don't know one person who got saved.

I can't wait to put rum in my egg nog this year! Maybe I'll do that and attend a play!

Spike the punch! Use 'shrooms. See if you can turn the Baptists into charismatics. :P

• Like 1

I know prior to "getting saved" at age 14, I would see these Christmas plays where they act out the usual scenes from Matthew and Luke and wonder what was so special about Jesus. I didn't get how his strange method of conception made him god's gift to the planet. After all, there were lots of characters in other stories (Like Greek myths) who had even weirder methods of birth.

There was just this huge disconnect for me between the baby Jesus stories and the plan of salvation.

Of course, years later on this side of Christianity, I realized that the baby Jesus stories in Matthew were products of the early "Judaic" arm of the church, the stories in Luke, by and large were for a gentile audience who were looking for a Greco-Roman fashioned god-man to follow and the "plan of Salvation" arose out of the mystic imaginings of Paul (and the pseudo-epigraphical posers for Paul).

I think if I went to a fundie christmas show, I'd be so bored I might hang myself from the cross over the baptistry.

Well, I get to attend the huge living Christmas Tree production at our local First Baptist church. My 3 oldest daughters are dancers in the production. This is their third year doing it and they love it. It will be my first year attending being an exChristian. To be honest, I have always found the whole thing so freaking boring with the exception of watching my girls dance. The two prior years they only had small parts and this year they are in most of the show, so that might make it easier to suffer through. I do love watching my girls dance, they are so talented. Of course, nobody knows about my recent deconversion, so I will have to pretend to love it. I do love the Christmas season though, and am really trying to still enjoy it without the belief in Jesus being the reason for the season.

Made it thru the play. It was pretty weak but I guess that's par for the course considering that the audience was primarily believers.

The story was about 2 people that meet in an office break room every day. One is a believer, the other not. The believer is stressed over the coming holidays and all of the work and shopping that he needs to get done. The non-believer comments on that being one of the reasons for not believing. The believer prays for strength to make it thru and starts to feel better, less stressed. The believer tells the non-believer about this and how it was Jesus that helped him get thru all of this. The non-believer says that she can see the difference in his attitude and wants to know more about Jesus.

Really? This is the best they could do? Nothing about how great Jesus is because he heals cancer or feeds hungry children. I know Jesus is real because he helped me unwind. Hell's bells man, that's good enough for me. Where do I sign up?

Made it thru the play. It was pretty weak but I guess that's par for the course considering that the audience was primarily believers.

The story was about 2 people that meet in an office break room every day. One is a believer, the other not. The believer is stressed over the coming holidays and all of the work and shopping that he needs to get done. The non-believer comments on that being one of the reasons for not believing. The believer prays for strength to make it thru and starts to feel better, less stressed. The believer tells the non-believer about this and how it was Jesus that helped him get thru all of this. The non-believer says that she can see the difference in his attitude and wants to know more about Jesus.

Really? This is the best they could do? Nothing about how great Jesus is because he heals cancer or feeds hungry children. I know Jesus is real because he helped me unwind. Hell's bells man, that's good enough for me. Where do I sign up?

Jds22, this gave me the idea of:

"Jesus Spa - Get bathed in the Holy Spirit"

I thought that it should be a goldmine of a business, but after a quick google search, I found out that my ideas are already realized (as always):

http://www.homespashop.com/stress_relief

OK now. Lets target the uncharted sectors of the religion market. So sorry that I don't live in the home of unlimited opportunities, because this would sell so well in Alabama:

The built up stress is making your everyday life a misery? ...Let the Holy Spirit TreatmentTM wash away all your pain!

Colon Hydrotherapy for the righteous!

Pious anal fun for everyone.

Sorry!

...seriously!

Jds22, this gave me the idea of:

"Jesus Spa - Get bathed in the Holy Spirit"

I thought that it should be a goldmine of a business, but after a quick google search, I found out that my ideas are already realized (as always):

http://www.homespash...m/stress_relief

OK now. Lets target the uncharted sectors of the religion market. So sorry that I don't live in the home of unlimited opportunities, because this would sell so well in Alabama:

The built up stress is making your everyday life a misery? ...Let the Holy Spirit TreatmentTM wash away all your pain!

Colon Hydrotherapy for the righteous!

Pious anal fun for everyone.

Sorry!

...seriously!

Wow. Religion is big business.

I used to think that I need to spend my time educating people about what a scam this stuff is. Now I'm starting to realize that there will always be people that will fall for this stuff no matter what, so I might as well profit from them.

If my guilt gets to me, I can always de-stress on an island somewhere.