Goodbye Jesus

Atrial Fibrillation

Ro-bear

Does anyone here have any experience with this condition?

I had a 17-hour episode of something the other night that was uncomfortable for me (until I went upstairs and lay down) and alarming for my wife. My mom and dad and brother have this. Like a dummy I didn't let my wife take me to the hospital (hard to explain, but I have a thing about hospitals; I'd almost rather die than go in one. Irrational, of course).

My heart felt all fluttery, my pulse was weak, I felt tired. Most unsettling was that I could not sleep. although I was warm and fairly comfortable in bed. I can almost always fall asleep within minutes of being horizontal.

Went to see the docs today. Doc One was mad at me like my wife and said I was lucky I didn't have a stroke. Doc Two was calm like me and said if it happens again go immediately for an ECG.

I am thinking about getting back on the Nordictrack and losing a few pounds, maybe cutting back on alcohol a bit. I really don't want any more of this shit.

Does anyone here have any experience with this condition?

I had a 17-hour episode of something the other night that was uncomfortable for me (until I went upstairs and lay down) and alarming for my wife. My mom and dad and brother have this. Like a dummy I didn't let my wife take me to the hospital (hard to explain, but I have a thing about hospitals; I'd almost rather die than go in one. Irrational, of course).

My heart felt all fluttery, my pulse was weak, I felt tired. Most unsettling was that I could not sleep. although I was warm and fairly comfortable in bed. I can almost always fall asleep within minutes of being horizontal.

Went to see the docs today. Doc One was mad at me like my wife and said I was lucky I didn't have a stroke. Doc Two was calm like me and said if it happens again go immediately for an ECG.

I am thinking about getting back on the Nordictrack and losing a few pounds, maybe cutting back on alcohol a bit. I really don't want any more of this shit.

My dad suffered from it Ro-bear..........do what you just said above........I mean it!

ro-bear.... this guy was diagnosed with it and started his own site to help others.....nutrition, exercise, etc.

give it a read my friend........... do all the right things - it will be ok.

http://www.livingwit...etary-therapies

• Super Moderator

Was it actually diagnosed as A-Fib? If so, you have to determine the cause before you can treat it. Look at hyperthyroidism, hypertension, and actual heart disease.

I have a heart arrhythmia known as PVC's (premature ventricular contractions), which i've had since my early 20's. They say it's benign, but i've also read that people with PVC's have a higher incidence of sudden death. Sweet! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

While not the same as Afib, i've been to the ER probably three different times in my life from this because I thought I was having a heart attack. I've also been to cardiologists and been hooked up to EKG's, heart monitors, etc., just for them to tell me I wasn't going to die and I should relax. Needless to say, relaxing isn't that easy when you think you're going to drop dead at any minute GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Anyway the only way i've really found to limit the PVC's without resorting to beta blockers is exercise regularly and keep my weight at the bottom end of the range for someone my height (6'). I don't know your specific diagnosis, but if you do have an arrhythmia I think exercise (especially cardio which strengthens your heart) is very beneficial. But definitely get checked out and make sure you have a good diagnosis first. In the meantime don't get too freaked out - many arrhythmia's are benign as long as they are managed properly.

P.S. The one good side affect of my condition is that I am extremely fit from the exercise, which I do religiously. So you can look at it as a wake up call and an opportunity to get back into good exercise habits if you are not currently doing it.

Was it actually diagnosed as A-Fib? If so, you have to determine the cause before you can treat it. Look at hyperthyroidism, hypertension, and actual heart disease.

No, it was not, nor can it be unless they catch it "in the act". Which of course I hope they do not have a chance to do. I have some risk factors: hypertension (partially controlled by medication; 130/85 is about the best they can do for me so far), occasional overindulgence of the beer kind, too much weight, eat like a pig, etc. Like Margee and Mike say, I need to reform. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Thanks to all for the input. I'll be doing a lot of research along these lines this weekend.

No, it was not, nor can it be unless they catch it "in the act". Which of course I hope they do not have a chance to do. I have some risk factors: hypertension (partially controlled by medication; 130/85 is about the best they can do for me so far), occasional overindulgence of the beer kind, too much weight, eat like a pig, etc. Like Margee and Mike say, I need to reform. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Thanks to all for the input. I'll be doing a lot of research along these lines this weekend.

Ro-bear, research 'hypoglycemia' also. Many, many people go undiagnosed. Same exact symptons!!

Think of the A-fib as fluttering between life and death, if you weren't born with it.

My guess would be that you have experienced what is called a "Holiday Heartbeat", and it was caused by over-indulgence of the beer kind.

Just my 2c

Brother, what you experienced is "Holy Farter's heart"! Can't you see that He lovingly fucked with your heart and scared the shit out of you so you could get right with Him before you Croak in the Spook? You need to give your farts to HIM right NOW, Brother! Glory!

Seriously, I would make sure your good to go for exercise before you push things too hard.

I'm working hard on getting myself in shape too. I'm getting ready to start the Power 90 Beachbody program. It's not as intense as their popular P90X program but it's a good place for a guy like me with back issues to start. I'm already extremely impressed with their Shakeology meal replacement product. I've been drinking it for breakfast for about two weeks and my problems with IBS have lessened significantly and so has the bipolar depression.

But anyway, enough advertising. :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better, Brother, and good luck dropping those pounds! I think you'll find that exercise will help a lot with blood pressure. :)

Glory!

I know that with a fib, blood pools in the atrium because it isn't pumped out throughly, and clots can develop.

I am a long time lurker of these forums, but your post compelled me to register so I could respond.

My father has atrial fib and it directly led to him having a stroke two months ago. People with a-fib have five times the risk of stroke than the general populace. Like people in this thread have stated, increased consumption of alcohol can produce a-fib like symptoms (increased bpm, irregular heart beat, etc.), but it can also exacerbate an existing condition. I would suggest that you immediately see a doctor if the symptoms persist. Also ask people in your family if they suffer from the same thing. Atrial Fib runs in my family so I'm on the lookout for and it would be helpful if you found out if you have a genetic predisposition.