Goodbye Jesus

In Between Churches

JayL

Hello out there,

I am not an ex-Christian. But I am an ex-church goer now. I decided to no longer attend the church I have been going to for past 7 years. It was a nice Vineyard fellowship.

Anyhow, the last time I visited here, I earned 'true believer' label, so I feel somewhat qualified to minister to doubters and skeptics about Christianity. ( But I did stop coming here because things got a bit too creepy. Like too many people with demonic pictures as their icons.... But while I was here, I met some interesting people. ) I hope I can stay here in the Lion's den a bit longer and have honest, free for all give and takes with skeptics out there.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and God bless you.

The point I made the last time here goes something like this: People go in and out of churches and they also go up and down with their faith. And that is Ok. I was in and out of faith a few times myself. But still the Bible and the faith brought me back ( about 15 years ago) Hallelujah!! My recommendation for skeptics and atheists is to keep searching and to keep an open mind. You may yet find the true God - the God who embodies Love. And you will be so glad on that day!!!

God bless you.

Well, hello. Thanks for remembering me. Did I say I would never come back?? Ok, I keep going back to my bad habits! Like chatting with ex-Christians! But see, I am an ex-churchgoer now. I now have something in common?

Well, I met some interesting people here. I thought I would come back to minister.

Of course, if things get too hot, I may take a leave for awhile.... You know, it is tough for Christians to be in Lion's Den!! But I do have to thank the website operator for allowing Christians to post.

Anyhow this time, I hope to stay around a little longer to answer some questions people may have about the Bible, Science, God, history, theology, etc. Also I should find that function to block some responders who are overly angry and disruptive. But there were a couple of serious people ( one from Australia, one from Germany, and one from So Cal. ) I hope I can point them back to Christ.

Anyhow, the last time I visited here, I earned 'true believer' label, so I feel somewhat qualified to minister to doubters and skeptics about Christianity.

What exactly is this "ministering" you have in mind? If I see you trying to take advantage of people when they are weak then I will shine the light on your deeds and your justification for those deeds. So far I have a small collection of Christians who ran like cockroaches. (Thumb, End3, B.I.G., Believer) Perhaps you will not be like them. I sure hope not. I will tell you one Christian who does it right is Catholic Kitty. Observe him. Emulate him. Follow his lead and I will welcome your contribution.

( But I did stop coming here because things got a bit too creepy. Like too many people with demonic pictures as their icons.... But while I was here, I met some interesting people. )

Wow. Demonic pictures creep you out. I shall tread lightly.

I hope I can stay here in the Lion's den a bit longer and have honest, free for all give and takes with skeptics out there.

Okay, this is an opportunity for an honest give and take. Why do you want conversation with ex-Christians? What are you looking to get out of it?

• Like 2

<< Okay, this is an opportunity for an honest give and take. Why do you want conversation with ex-Christians? What are you looking to get out of it? >>

Just some interesting conversations. I am always happy to talk about my faith and the Bible. And thinking back to some conversations I had with people here, I feel like I have some better answers.

But also I think there is nothing wrong to run away like cockroaches. Survival is pretty important! ( If you are losing an argument with atheist, run!!! Run back to safe hideouts! Any nearby churches would do. LOL )

<< Okay, this is an opportunity for an honest give and take. Why do you want conversation with ex-Christians? What are you looking to get out of it? >>

Just some interesting conversations. I am always happy to talk about my faith and the Bible. And thinking back to some conversations I had with people here, I feel like I have some better answers.

Okay I'm going to hold you to that. If you mean it then you should be fine.

But also I think there is nothing wrong to run away like cockroaches. Survival is pretty important!

Oh your survival is not at stake. Nobody's going to hurt you.

Moving on:

I envy your post church life. I can't quite do that yet. Too many social obligations for me at Church for the time being. Someday I will give it up but for now I haven't quite figured out a way without my family figuring out I am no longer Christian. I still get a steady stream of prayer requests to "put on the Prayer Chain". Someday I hope to be permanently "between churches". Good for you for being your own Christian.

Oh and I thought it was cute how you described yourself as "born an atheist" in your profile. Everybody is born an atheist. But I suspect you were using that as a metaphor for not having parents indoctrinate you at an early age. If so, then that is something else I envy about you.

Well, thank you for your comments. I certainly sympathize with you on your 'church life'. Pretend faith can be quite painful. And you'd rather be quiet because your 'unbelief' may disturb your family. It is a real tough situation. Either you become a genuine believer ( not likely at the moment ) or break away from church ( but then you may miss some good things about the church - like warm social relationship ).

My idea is that real Christianity should be better than what most people experience in churches. The real Biblical Christianity is much more positive and much more powerful than 'religious activities' we see people get involved in.

My idea is that real Christianity should be better than what most people experience in churches. The real Biblical Christianity is much more positive and much more powerful than 'religious activities' we see people get involved in.

Well, I got to warn you. People around here are really not interested in that. You can have any religion you want as long as you don't hurt anybody else but ex-Christians are really not in the market for a Christianity upgrade. Most of us have been there and done that. It brings back painful memories. Don't bring it up and it won't get shot down.

• Like 4

Well, thanks for the warning. But there are many different 'brands' of Christianity. For example, I happen to like Joel Osteen's ministry. But some Christians cannot stand him.

I also like to mention, I have had periods when I was bitter about churches and other times I was in a lot of mental pain. But now I attribute them to just normal part of life. Life IS pretty tough. It may not all be faults of Christianity.

Well, thanks for the warning. But there are many different 'brands' of Christianity. For example, I happen to like Joel Osteen's ministry. But some Christians cannot stand him.

I also like to mention, I have had periods when I was bitter about churches and other times I was in a lot of mental pain. But now I attribute them to just normal part of life. Life IS pretty tough. It may not all be faults of Christianity.

How do you square Osteen's millions of dollars with Christianity? The man is obviously rich. According to Jesus - that means trouble.

Your idea about "ministering" to ex-christians is not going to be well received here. We have spent years - probably more than you have been alive - researching the Bible, science, theology, etc... .NOT because we wanted to in many cases, but were forced to do so to escape an oppressive and erroneous philosophy that was forced on us.

My idea is that real Christianity should be better than what most people experience in churches. The real Biblical Christianity is much more positive and much more powerful than 'religious activities' we see people get involved in

Yes, I partially agree with this. It should be better in churches. However, there is no such thing as "the real Biblical Christianity". There is no such thing as "real Christianity". No one knows what it is, it was divided from the beginning and continues to be divided because there are so many genuine contradictions in it.

You would do well not to "minister" here.

• Like 1

My recommendation for skeptics and atheists is to keep searching and to keep an open mind.

Then you absolutely don't understand anything about us at all, and you're also patronizing us with that 'keep an open mind' garbage.

• Like 3

For example, I happen to like Joel Osteen's ministry. But some Christians cannot stand him.

Some of us ex-C's concur.

Anyhow this time, I hope to stay around a little longer to answer some questions people may have about the Bible, Science, God, history, theology, etc.

I have far better answers already than you could ever hope to give. I'll be sure not to look up any more of your posts on a full stomach.

• Like 3

Hello out there,

I am not an ex-Christian. But I am an ex-church goer now. I decided to no longer attend the church I have been going to for past 7 years. It was a nice Vineyard fellowship.

Anyhow, the last time I visited here, I earned 'true believer' label, so I feel somewhat qualified to minister to doubters and skeptics about Christianity. ( But I did stop coming here because things got a bit too creepy. Like too many people with demonic pictures as their icons.... But while I was here, I met some interesting people. ) I hope I can stay here in the Lion's den a bit longer and have honest, free for all give and takes with skeptics out there.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and God bless you.

hi Jayl.

I probably won't comment a lot because you've come here with your 'faith' and nothing else.You also believe that Scripture was the 'inspired word of god right out of his mouth'. We don't. You say; ''I am always happy to talk about my faith and the Bible.''You are wasting your time, my dear friend and you know it..

Besides, most of us have 'blasphened' the holy spirit - we are doomed to god's hell - it's too late for god to take us back.......We have 'rejected'.

Your profile says you were in and out of 'Faith'. So now you have 'faith' back again. We don't have 'faith'. Why have you come here to sell us your 'faith'?

You already said you can't win an argument with atheists? Why is this? Because you can't sell us your 'faith'. Sell us something real and we will be all ears! You leave and give up because you know deep down, we are right and that frightens you.

Step out of your 'faith' and you have nothing.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Now, you've left church, you have some time. If YOU have an 'open mind', (besides selling us your 'faith' story) and really listen to us carefully....... I think if you stick around - we can convert you!

• Like 2

Sorry to read you're in between churches right now. What Denomination did you attend services at and why are you no longer attending?

• Like 1

Sorry to read you're in between churches right now. What Denomination did you attend services at and why are you no longer attending?

He mentioned he had been going to a "Vineyard" fellowship. I don't know much about it, but a couple of online searches seem to indicate its an extreme charismatic type church. Lots of "holy laughter, animal sounds", etc...

I could be wrong, of course.

The real Biblical Christianity is much more positive and much more powerful than 'religious activities' we see people get involved in.

How?

He mentioned he had been going to a "Vineyard" fellowship. I don't know much about it, but a couple of online searches seem to indicate its an extreme charismatic type church. Lots of "holy laughter, animal sounds", etc...

I could be wrong, of course.

Interesting. Never heard of Vineyard fellowship. All of the Pentecostal/Charismatic churches I attended eventually broke up when the pastor ran off on his wife for a younger woman, hastily leaving town in the process.

Thanks for all your responses. As Rodney used to say, 'Tough crowd, tough crowd'. Just kidding. I appreciate your passion. Anyhow to answer some of your questions, I used to attend Vineyard Fellowship, a charismatic denomination locally started in So Cal back in 80's. I liked this denomination but I wanted more focus on the Bible. So I am searching out there. Meanwhile, I want to devote more time to personal study of the Bible and prayer time.

<< Now, you've left church, you have some time. If YOU have an 'open mind', (besides selling us your 'faith' story) and really listen to us carefully....... I think if you stick around - we can convert you! >>

I am somewhat open minded and I have been thru 'conversion' a few times. Both ways. I appreciate the fact the we are discussing such important issues - about God, about life, science, etc. here.

• Super Moderator
I feel somewhat qualified to minister to doubters and skeptics about Christianity.

You're not.

Yet another True ChristianTM who can explain it the right way. Sigh.

I hope I can point them back to Christ.

Yet another one mistaking this for his cyberspace mission field.

• Like 4

I don't think there are a hell of a lot of doubters here. We're all rather certain. I for one am absolutely convinced.

Thanks for all your responses. As Rodney used to say, 'Tough crowd, tough crowd'. Just kidding. I appreciate your passion. Anyhow to answer some of your questions, I used to attend Vineyard Fellowship, a charismatic denomination locally started in So Cal back in 80's. I liked this denomination but I wanted more focus on the Bible. So I am searching out there. Meanwhile, I want to devote more time to personal study of the Bible and prayer time.

Is there a particular part of the Bible you're studying? What kind of things are you praying for?

Is there a particular part of the Bible you're studying? What kind of things are you praying for?

I am going thru some recent translations of the Bible - esp. one called NET Bible. I am taking a long time reading and studying the Book of Galatians. I am praying that I can hear God's voice better.

In what way(s) do you believe God will communicate with you?