Goodbye Jesus

The Letter I'd Like To See Written, From Christians To Us!

Margee

I know............dream on..................just my silly thoughts today..................Wendyshrug.gif

Letter to EX-c from 'Christian'.

Hi everyone! My name is 'Christian' and I've just joined the forum and have been sincerly reading over all the testimonies on this site. It is so sad to see that you have lost your faith in the bible and god. That must have been the worst thing that could happen to anyone .I couldn't imagine it! Most of us have grown up in households that told us about god.... that there is a powerful, wonderful god who loves and protects us. What a terrible thing to lose that hope.

I wish there was something I could do to help you believe again. I know the bible is very hard to understand - I have questioned it myself many times (secretly) - but I still choose to believe in it because I need a god.I need something to believe in to survive. I couldn't be like you folks who don't believe - it would scare me too much. And I get scared of hell too. I don't know why god would do that, but he did and I, being a good christian believer, accept it. I really get scared you might go there, so why not just believe in Jesus, forget the bible and all the troublesome questions it brings. (maybe we don't have to take it so literal?) and don't go to church. (you don't have to go to church to prove you want to believe in god!) Just believe anyway at home. Jesus will understand. I'm sure of it!!

I know the whole thing is built on faith and you have a hard time because you want proof. I don't think he is going to prove himself to anybody. He's never done that. I wish he would too. Maybe you could have faith that god loves you anyway - even with your doubt. I wish you would, because I want to show you his love so badly.

You know I believe in the devil and I think that is where all the trouble on earth comes from, but I can understand you being mad at god for all the horrible things that have gone on during the history of man and especially some of the things that have happened to you. Maybe it's true that god will explain all of this to us one day, but I really am sorry for the pain you have gone through..

I know I believe that the bible is the inspired word of god and you don't - but maybe you could just trust in Jesus anyway. (even if you have a hard time with it, I know he would understand) Try not to pay attention to all those bad parts in the bible..... the ones that make you angry at the old testament god.... I don't understand that part of it either - he does seem kind of cruel. (I have also questioned this to myself secretly, but I can't tell anyone)

Just keep being the good people you are. I know you are good people, because I really took the time to read all your posts.

Well, that's my take on it. It's been a pleasure meeting you all and I will continually pray that good things will bless you. (because I believe) Most of all, I pray that someday, your faith would be restored. If I can give you any encouragement - feel free to PM me.......

Sincerly, 'Christian'

................................................................................................................

how would you respond if we got a letter like this from a christian who visited here and left this kind of letter?

• Like 2

Margee, your letter made me cry because it expresses so beautifully the anguish that I feel over what is happening to my faith. A year ago I would never have believed that my faith of 40 years would be hanging by a thread by the end of the year. I wish there was someone in my life like your "christian" who could sit down with me and allow me to pour out my heart without judgment, without condemnation, with total love and understanding. Someone who would say no matter what happens, I will always love you.

• Like 2

Margee, this is terrific. I wish a Christian could be that honest about not knowing the answers. This is the kind of Christian I tried to be in my final days as a believer; however, this stance was not a firm footing for fundamentalism, and I sometimes wonder if that seeker stance was part of my demise. Probably not, but I do tend to cogitate on these things.

Thanks Margee. I wonder if any believers will read this, and what their comments would be.

• Like 1

Marge, Marge,

this letter from christian had been written all over the forums, and they are still writing,,,

maybe not as elegant, concise and straigt forward as you have written, and definitely not the style you had written.

throw in some idiotic bible quotes, some condescending crap and god works in some mysterious fucking way, you are almost pitch perfect,,,,,

Margee, your letter made me cry because it expresses so beautifully the anguish that I feel over what is happening to my faith. A year ago I would never have believed that my faith of 40 years would be hanging by a thread by the end of the year. I wish there was someone in my life like your "christian" who could sit down with me and allow me to pour out my heart without judgment, without condemnation, with total love and understanding. Someone who would say no matter what happens, I will always love you.

Margee, this is terrific. I wish a Christian could be that honest about not knowing the answers. This is the kind of Christian I tried to be in my final days as a believer; however, this stance was not a firm footing for fundamentalism, and I sometimes wonder if that seeker stance was part of my demise. Probably not, but I do tend to cogitate on these things.

Thanks Margee. I wonder if any believers will read this, and what their comments would be.

Birdwatcher and positive - this is also the way I was in my final years. I talked real nice - even to the fundy's. If enough christians had said these things to me - I might still be tryin' to believe and trust in Jesus in my own livingroom and not writing on this site!

• Like 1

Well I don't know you but what little I have read from you has left me speechless. I am in awe of all you have survived and endured. I have not suffered even a fraction as much as you - only I have felt the same religious emptiness and crisis of faith. I can try to empathize. I can try to imagine enduring what little you have shared. But I would not dare to presume that I could really understand. I wish I had words that could make a difference.

• Like 1

Marge, Marge,

this letter from christian had been written all over the forums, and they are still writing,,,

maybe not as elegant, concise and straigt forward as you have written, and definitely not the style you had written.

throw in some idiotic bible quotes, some condescending crap and god works in some mysterious fucking way, you are almost pitch perfect,,,,,

Pratt. I've read a lot of debates with the christians and I've never seen a reponse like this. It's always about arguing scripture when we clearly tell them that we are not interested. These people do not believe that we really know the bible??? They really don't listen to what we are saying.

I really liked this Margee. It was actually surprising to see xtians here trying to reverse my deconversion. I'm guessing they don't realize what an asshole they're being. At least I hope they don't come here to purposely piss people off but I have a feeling they actually like it. The next-to-the-last belief I gave up was the belief in hell after reading a book by Rob Bell. I thought it was great that I could still believe in jebus but not have to believe in hell. The absurdity of it all hit me hard not long after I gave up on hell and now I'm free of it all.

• Like 1

This is off topic...

Mudhoney, your avatar, is that Sean Young in the movie Bladerunner?

how would you respond if we got a letter like this from a christian who visited here and left this kind of letter?

It really reminds me of many things I dislike about Christianity.

-Christians think the Bible is hard to understand. Really it's easy. Illogical Christian theology is the problem.

-Christians pretend they know things they don't actually know.

-Christianity asserts that belief is a choice. Actually belief is far more complicated than that. Suppressing doubt is not faith.

-Fear

-The assumption that proof is demanded of God. The need for proof is caused by the demands of human xtian leaders.

-The Devil did it. That is just as bad as God-done-it.

-The assumption that ex-Christians are mad at God.

-The Bible as the Word of God . . . please.

-Empty trust.

-Pretending that Christianity is tied to being a good person and vice versa.

Let me guess, JayL sent you this.

It really reminds me of many things I dislike about Christianity.

-Christians think the Bible is hard to understand. Really it's easy. Illogical Christian theology is the problem.

-Christians pretend they know things they don't actually know.

-Christianity asserts that belief is a choice. Actually belief is far more complicated than that. Suppressing doubt is not faith.

-Fear

-The assumption that proof is demanded of God. The need for proof is caused by the demands of human xtian leaders.

-The Devil did it. That is just as bad as God-done-it.

-The assumption that ex-Christians are mad at God.

-The Bible as the Word of God . . . please.

-Empty trust.

-Pretending that Christianity is tied to being a good person and vice versa.

Let me guess, JayL sent you this.

No MM - you don't think that 'christian' JayL would send a compassionate letter like this? I am talking about a christian who really wouls care about our lost faith and how we feel!

No MM - you don't think that 'christian' JayL would send a compassionate letter like this? I am talking about a christian who really wouls care about our lost faith and how we feel!

Oh I get it. You wrote that remembering what it was like at the end of your Christianity. (I can be slow) Yeah it reflects more or less what I believed maybe in 2003-5. The compassion feels familiar because it comes from the same mold. Yes I remember doing it so I know the compassion is felt sincerely. But from my perspective it's a manipulation. The culture shapes the individual. So to me it feels fake. To me emotions feel more real when we are reacting free and without the promise of eternal bliss in heaven as a reward. Unfortunately when Christians are not drawing each other's attention to what a crummy witness they are being they can be quite selfish.

Which reminds me . . . is there a rich pastor's wife who is going to need her hair styled soon? I hope her new stylist botches the job. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Well I don't know you but what little I have read from you has left me speechless. I am in awe of all you have survived and endured. I have not suffered even a fraction as much as you - only I have felt the same religious emptiness and crisis of faith. I can try to empathize. I can try to imagine enduring what little you have shared. But I would not dare to presume that I could really understand. I wish I had words that could make a difference.

Mymistake, Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. We've all had different paths in life that have led us to our own personal crisis of faith. I'm amazed, too, that it took me 40 years to come to this point (I guess I'm a little dense). The important thing is that we're not alone. I'm so grateful for this forum. It's the only place I can express what is happening on the inside of me, and it's nice to know that there are hundreds of others who thoroughly understand because they've been there too.

Hi everyone!

My name is Kitty, and I've recently joined the forum and have been sincerely reading over all the testimonies on this site.

Just keep being the good people you are. I know you are good people because I really took the time to read all your posts. Well, that's my take on it. It's been a pleasure meeting you all. If I can give you any encouragement, feel free to PM me.

Sincerely,

Kitty

• Like 1

This is off topic...

Mudhoney, your avatar, is that Sean Young in the movie Bladerunner?

Yes, that's her...I love me some Blade Runner.

@ Birdwatcher- I'm also grateful for this forum. No one else knows what leaving xtianity is like, or what it was like growing up xtian and getting out from under the mind control. And the xtian folks who witness here want me to subject myself to that control again? No way!!!

cool letter marge to bad we dont see things like that though i know a few fundys who really do act the way the letter stated, my old sunday shcool teacher was one..such a wonderul person.

• Like 1

Dear ex-Christians,

We Christians finally got around to actually reading the Bible and doing what it said. Specifically, we heard Jesus say, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do." And we read about how we should seek understanding above all other things. So we began gathering understandings.

To make a long story short... We have begun to educate ourselves straight out of Christianity. We were kinda silly in the past, but now we're growing up.

Sincerely,

Growing Christians

• Like 2

Dear ex-Christians,

We Christians finally got around to actually reading the Bible and doing what it said. Specifically, we heard Jesus say, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do." And we read about how we should seek understanding above all other things. So we began gathering understandings.

To make a long story short... We have begun to educate ourselves straight out of Christianity. We were kinda silly in the past, but now we're growing up.

Sincerely,

Growing Christians

How true. We who left are really the only ones who took it seriously.

• Like 3

I'd still reckon it's Margee though, because of the highlights happydance.gif

And I do like the letter :)

Super letter, Margee. My thought is if a Christian were to write such a letter, wouldn't that person be close to deconverting???

Wow, Deva. You just totally nailed it.

Which reminds me . . . is there a rich pastor's wife who is going to need her hair styled soon? I hope her new stylist botches the job. biggrin.png

My pastor has been through a Hummer, an Audi (which he says he "sold to cover church debt" I think he just got tired of it and bought the Jeep-- also, he says that someone "gave it to him as a gift"), some sort of expensive classic car, a Landrover, a brand new Jeep and now he has a Jaguar (which was supposedly "donated by the couple that gave the pastor the Audi because they were so impressed with his generosity in giving up his car for the church"). Oh, he has a Harley too. He wears expensive clothing all the time too. So I guess he's "secretly rich."

Long-story short. His wife might need a haircut. She DOES sing on stage...

Dear ex-Christians,

Sincerely,

Growing Christians

The only True ChristianTM is an ex-Christian?

Why do you want you decision to leave the xian religion to be validated by xians? Why sit around expecting any sort of understanding for being a traitor to their belief system?

You need to validate your own feelings. Own your decisions and stop looking to others, all others, to validate them. Only you know if you made the right decision or not.

When I first deconverted one of the worst things that could be said to me was that I was never a real believer. It got me very angry. To the point I could barely function. But once I stopped looking to these others to validate who I was it stopped making a difference. I know who I was and who I am. It no longer mattered.

It doesn't matter what any xians say. Caring what they think and even wanting them to say certain things only gives them power over you. Stop handing your power over to others.

mwc

Dear ex-Christians,

Sincerely,

Growing Christians

The only True ChristianTM is an ex-Christian?

In a way, I think that is true. If you transported an ex-christian and a Christian fundy back in time - who would be sympathetic toward Jesus and who would be with the Pharisees?

No one knows what Jesus looked like, physically. They would see a breakaway backwoods apocalyptic preacher going against the established way of doing things (the Pharisees). Fundys are "do it by the Book" people. They would be on the side of the traditionalists, because they are blind to any other way of being spiritual.