Goodbye Jesus

"in The Name Of Jesus"

jblueep

It just occurred to me that "in the name of jesus" sounds exactly and carries the same meaning for me now as "By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged" (Galaxy Quest) 49.gif

• Like 1

It all amounts to this...

I do it all the damn time.

It just occurred to me that "in the name of jesus" sounds exactly and carries the same meaning for me now as "By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged" (Galaxy Quest) 49.gif

Yes.

Actually, if you think about it, it's just the same thing as casting spells, curses, or blessings. It's magical thinking. The idea that words have powers that extend beyond this world and into the supernatural. Even the demons are controlled by human words. Really? If it was that simple, then why is the world the way it is?

(Galaxy Quest) 49.gif

great movie

• Like 1

(Galaxy Quest) 49.gif

great movie

"Miners!"

"Yeah, they look like three years old"

"Miners, not minors."

"Look! I have one job on this lousy ship, it's *stupid*, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?"

jblueep, you are absolutely right.

"That was a hell of a thing."

"I see you managed to get your shirt off."

"Where are you going?"

"To see if there's a pub!"

That's my favorite Star Trek movie ever.

Yes, I know, but it's still my favorite Star Trek movie.

• Like 1

jblueep, you are absolutely right.

"That was a hell of a thing."

"I see you managed to get your shirt off."

"Where are you going?"

"To see if there's a pub!"

That's my favorite Star Trek movie ever.

Yes, I know, but it's still my favorite Star Trek movie.

I'm a huge Trek fan and I approve of this message.

My favorite scene:

Gwen DeMarco: What is this thing? There's no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway!

Jason Nesmith: Gwen—

Gwen DeMarco: No! I mean, we shouldn't have to do this! It makes no logical sense! Why is it here?

Jason Nesmith: Because it's on the television show.

Gwen DeMarco: Well, forget it! I'm not doing it! This episode was badly written!

Afterwards: "Whoever wrote this episode should DIE!"

:HaHa:

I just love that movie. That one and Mystery Men.

It just occurred to me that "in the name of jesus" sounds exactly and carries the same meaning for me now as "By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged"

...The idea that words have powers that extend beyond this world and into the supernatural.

OK, I have a confession to make. I don't have a problem with swearing (as in, I don't care when others do it and I do drop the odd* cuss word on an as-needed basis). But, in the last two weeks I have "taken the Lord's name in vain" (whatever that means) twice--something I've never done before in my life. I feel horrible about it. It just came out--once out of fear (airplane hit a major air pocket during a hurricane flight and I was suddenly weightless and floating: "JESUS!") and then this last time I was utterly pissed off at someone when a "geez" morphed into a two syllable expression: "JESUS!" under my breath as I walked away.

I certainly don't want to get into the habit of saying the names of previously living (or not) legends. If it ever slipped out around the wrong people it would be devastating.

Funny enough, when I say "God", it is almost as if I'm trying to tell Him to pay attention to something. It's never worked, of course, but old habits die hard.

So, I guess I'm going to hell. The question then is, who's bringing the marshmallows?

Anyone else struggle with this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*okay, frequent. lol

You are completely right. I'd also like to point out that many Christians use that phrase (or idea) to goad people into accepting or doing things they normally wouldn't do. I remember when my aunt guilt-tripped my cousin into playing the piano for a prayer meeting with "Jesus wants you to play! Do you want to make Jesus sad?" Like he'd give two shits.

In the name of Jesus demons will have to flee. I found out through many years of sincere Christiainity this wasn't true. Perhaps demons have built up an immunity to that name over the centuries?

It just occurred to me that "in the name of jesus" sounds exactly and carries the same meaning for me now as "By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged"

...The idea that words have powers that extend beyond this world and into the supernatural.

OK, I have a confession to make. I don't have a problem with swearing (as in, I don't care when others do it and I do drop the odd* cuss word on an as-needed basis). But, in the last two weeks I have "taken the Lord's name in vain" (whatever that means) twice--something I've never done before in my life. I feel horrible about it. It just came out--once out of fear (airplane hit a major air pocket during a hurricane flight and I was suddenly weightless and floating: "JESUS!") and then this last time I was utterly pissed off at someone when a "geez" morphed into a two syllable expression: "JESUS!" under my breath as I walked away.

I certainly don't want to get into the habit of saying the names of previously living (or not) legends. If it ever slipped out around the wrong people it would be devastating.

Funny enough, when I say "God", it is almost as if I'm trying to tell Him to pay attention to something. It's never worked, of course, but old habits die hard.

So, I guess I'm going to hell. The question then is, who's bringing the marshmallows?

*okay, frequent. lol

Taking the "lord's" name in vain is my favourite way to swear now! I love saying "jesus fucking christ!" I do try to be mindful of who I'm around, but it just feels so damn good to be able to be irreverent and know I'm not going to be struck down with lightning :)

I'd keep saying the "lord's name in vain" when no-one is around, because the more you do it, the more they will just become words to you, and lose their power over you. Enjoy your freedom, Positivist :) That's what I'm focusing on these days- enjoying all the things that I once felt so guilty about :)

Thanks for introducing me to Dusty, Stryper- been addicted all arvo lol

Yep.

Stryper, thanks for the intro to a new word: Christian-ese. wink.png

• Like 1

Jesus did claim to be greater than Solomon, who is the most revered mage in Hebrew and Arabic history, after performing a miracle. Many Middle Ages spells involve invoking the name of a powerful angel. Therefore, invoking the name of history's most famous self proclaimed mage makes sense. In magic, you draw power from a more powerful source. Jesus claimed his power source was The Father. He also said no man gets to The Father except through him. Therefore, if one wishes to cast a powerful spell and they believe in Jesus, they should invoke his name so as to receive the power from The Father.

Simple, really.

Taking the "lord's" name in vain is my favourite way to swear now! I love saying "jesus fucking christ!"

Girl, you crack me up! I can totally see you doing that!

One of my atheist friends is the son of an Anglican priest. You should hear his "blessings".....like "Dominus, Patris, Fuckit". LOL!

• Like 4

Taking the "lord's" name in vain is my favourite way to swear now! I love saying "jesus fucking christ!"

Girl, you crack me up! I can totally see you doing that!

One of my atheist friends is the son of an Anglican priest. You should hear his "blessings".....like "Dominus, Patris, Fuckit". LOL!

LOL that's hilarious!

I talk to Jesus even more now that I've deconverted- every morning when I wake up, the first thing thing I say is "Jesus fucking Christ!" And then I call the kettle a motherfucker. After which I sit down with my cuppa and a smoke and swear at the computer. But Jesus always comes first, every morning :P

Oh, and after I swear at the computer, I look at Bruce, and say, "Jesus fucking Christ, Bruce, what the fuck?!" And Bruce just sits there and listens to me, and has the good sense to wait until I stop swearing to ask for his breakfast. Smart cat.

• Like 1

You should hear his "blessings".....like "Dominus, Patris, Fuckit". LOL!

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

*okay, frequent. lol

Positivist, surprisingly even when I was in Christianity, I never had a problem proclaiming "God!" or "Jesus!" when I was angry and never considered it to be using his name in vain. IMO, I was just doing exactly what you said you did when you say "God!" - it was like I was trying to get God or Jesus to pay attention to whatever had made me mad/upset and wanted them to fix the situation.

• Like 1